Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686459
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th  (Read 57186 times)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
Re: KS for Confrontation 'Resurrection' April 17th
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Why didn't they just go for selling metals? The molds were designed for that I take it. Just simplified pledges of set miniature groups (even focus on just selling 1 lot of minis from 1 mold to make picking and packing easy.)
They definitely wouldn't have people dropping like flies. Easier to cost out that way I'd imagine.

My guess would be postage. average weight of a pewter mini like that is easily 40-50 grams, multiply that by the number of models on offer and then find postage solutions that leave your mind unharmed...

Honestly, I'd be all over metal for my own stuff if it wasn't so darn expensive to ship.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
Well, on the other hand does anyone need 200+ Confrontation models? I would happily have paid €40-60 for a box with metal models for a warband.

Confrontation was popular as long as it had metal models - high quality minis & low model count in games.

I've regularly pledged for KS with metal models and postage was always fair and insignificant - even when the stuff came from the States.

MAybe the real plan behind this KS is indeed to develope PVC casting for future games with their own designs?

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »
My guess would be postage. average weight of a pewter mini like that is easily 40-50 grams, multiply that by the number of models on offer and then find postage solutions that leave your mind unharmed...

Honestly, I'd be all over metal for my own stuff if it wasn't so darn expensive to ship.

The postage is only an issue if they chose to stick with this insane set up of having to buy a single box of 200 minis plus 2 paper mats and terrain sets (but no full rulebooks...). Plenty of people, including yourself, manage to post metal miniatures out not in boxes of 200.  ;D

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »
I think a lot of people got very carried away with the thought of Confrontation coming back.
Not just that, it was coming back "in plastic". That's the phrasing that was continually used from what I read. In wargaming circles, "plastic" is "HIPS". Hard plastic. Solid, good detail. It may not have been meant to be deliberately misleading, given their unfamiliarity with the miniature side of things, and possibly the language barrier too. Even so, I am sure a fair few people were pledging for something that was never on the table.

That said, although not a good sign, it's not as if they have no backers or money left. How much funding they genuinely require for their enterprise is not irrelevant though, as is the ongoing question of how the final miniatures will actually turn out...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 03:29:56 PM »
I really only wanted the gobs, so I pledged a $1 and will add on the box I want.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »
When it comes to the plastic, I kind of wonder why anyone would want confrontation models in HIPS.
They were never so modular as to allow a variety of poses, and you never needed enough of hem for the speed of assembly to be worth the pay off in detail. I guess they'd be cheaper? but they'd probably end up around malifuax box price per warband, and unless the team behind the relaunch really threw themselves into getting new models made, the range would be pretty bloody small.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
PVC need not be a poor quality product if done properly with the right plastics.

The "Drakerys" figures (a game developed by some of the original Rackham creative guys) are actually very good multi part PVC models and under the factory paintjob even the Confrontation 4 (Age of Ragnarok) are good nicely detailed figures.  But on the other hand the tat that Mantic fill their boxes with (Mars Attacks/Dungeon Saga etc) is not.

I noticed on the KS comments today that there is mention of a new Confrontation RPG as well as the Boardgame in design so presumably if this KS succeeds there will be an option to pick up smaller sets or individual figures later.

But that said, anyone looking for a skirmish game in a unique/quirky Rackham style should be picking up "Moonstone" anyway:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1138228733/moonstone-fantasy-skirmish-game

KS was very successful and the game is now released, demo was showing at Salute.
The figures are superb.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 04:41:42 PM »
Faaaar too many miniatures for me, it'll just turn into a slightly started but never finished plastic pile.  Just rereleasing a selection of the classic sets in their original metal or resin would've been a better kickstarter for my money.  Even though I only really want a couple of the Dai Bakemono minis, I almost certainly would've paid out for ten or fifteen various dudes.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
By now 70 (!) people have dropped their EB.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »

Never meant the whole lot. That would be ridiculously expensive in metal costs as well let alone shipping. But if be interested in the Drunes starter set if it was metal. Postage wouldn't be horrendous on that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:53:03 PM by beefcake »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2018, 10:19:57 PM »
I just don't understand all the fuss... The kickstarter is for a big box of all the factions... That's what it is... The company, tho not the best at PR, is working no doubt on getting everything ready to produce this box of minis... I don't want them updating every 2 seconds... I want them working on getting me my big box of minis... Watching the forum comments makes me never want to do a kickstarter... So many complainers who probably don't even have a pledge or have just sunk in a whole whopping dollar...
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2018, 10:28:25 PM »
The fuss is they don't seem to have an understanding about what they are doing. Not really a minor thing. Of course the people complaining don't have a pledge.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2018, 10:30:40 PM »
I just don't understand all the fuss... The kickstarter is for a big box of all the factions... That's what it is... The company, tho not the best at PR, is working no doubt on getting everything ready to produce this box of minis... I don't want them updating every 2 seconds... I want them working on getting me my big box of minis... Watching the forum comments makes me never want to do a kickstarter... So many complainers who probably don't even have a pledge or have just sunk in a whole whopping dollar...

ah well in that case , I withdraw all my scepticism based on observation and technical experience.
Nevermind the observable problems , these don't impact reality at all. :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »
 lol lol

Most of the dropped pledges seem to have fallen into the €1 pledge

But, SD have "calculated" an option that allows backers to pledge only for the factions they want.  It is a stretch goal target set at 1.25 million euros. But you will only get the basic faction figures, none of the ones added to that faction in the big box by previous stretch goals.

No problems with that, no siree, none at all..... :-X

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »
lol lol

Most of the dropped pledges seem to have fallen into the €1 pledge

But, SD have "calculated" an option that allows backers to pledge only for the factions they want.  It is a stretch goal target set at 1.25 million euros. But you will only get the basic faction figures, none of the ones added to that faction in the big box by previous stretch goals.

No problems with that, no siree, none at all..... :-X

"HEY GUYS ! Great news! If you give us more money, You can unlock the ability to give us less money! don't worry about the basic fallacy in that statement, just look these these original sculpts that don't reflect the end product we will be sending you! Remember confrontation! Guys?! guys...where are you going guys?! Remember the early 2000s..remember spawn and starship troopers...Guys?..guys? Please come back...We'll give you a map...."