Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Civilians?  (Read 5617 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Civilians?
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
I'm looking for a wide selection of SF civilians, angry protestors, workmen, etc for a 'realistic' project, a la The Expanse and Broken Contract. 28mm scale. Only humans, and preferably not all shoot and runny.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
Re: Civilians?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:50 PM »
I look forward to the day when Antenociti can offer his GOT civilians again. In the meantime...

Statuesque? http://www.statuesqueminiatures.co.uk/c/4560894/1/statuesque-starport.html
4A? http://www.fouraminiatures.com/page2.htm (look for "captain and 2 pilots" and "maintenance crew")
CP Models? https://cpmodels.co.uk/product-category/28mm-ranges/sci-fi/non-coms/
Casting Room for a couple? https://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/street-fighters

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »
There are a few Heroclix offerings that work as well, I've used them with just a wash and rebase.

Mercy Graves 014
Witchblade 066
Mojo 089
Maria Hill 011
Bruce Wayne 001
Machine Man 025
Tabitha Smith 209

And plenty more.

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 01:34:48 AM »
Offensive Miniatures has protesters.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:12:59 AM »
Corvus Belli's Infinity range has a few and what they have are pretty spiffy, but generally hard to come by on their own and moreover their scaling is severely pushing the size envelope, even with mileages varying in regards to what "28mm scale" is. In fact I'm almost certain that they are overlarge next to anything from mrgrigson's post.

Heresy has some civilianish types that are pretty well in the 28mm scale tho: http://heresyminiatures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=i282tcs8o2ve7tgimhd4lemke1

Also, Anvil Industry's Afterlife has a couple: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/AFTERLIFE/all-characters

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:32:23 AM »
Regarding the Heresy Miniatures mentioned above, you can't go wrong with the Inspectors set, they're great models. There's also a few ship's crew figures that are good as well as some general civilians that work well. Most of my Aliens setting civilians are Heresy.

Denizen also have some lovely figures, they might just be a touch small, being much closer to 25mm. They also sell what are probably my favourite not Colonial Marines too.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Offensive Miniatures has protesters.
Lots of rioters and protestors.
http://www.offensiveminiatures.com/catalogue.asp?RID=44&CID=b37c6426-f193-439a-bcc4-00de4cbf70d2
I do not have any of them photographed (nor painted) but there are two of the riot police from the same range here for scale:

From left to right: Offensive Miniatures Riot Police; CP Miniatures SF trooper; Crooked Dice Armed Minion with automaton head); Copplestone Guard in Beret; Offensive Miniatures Riot Police Sergeant and Hasslefree Neil (with Offensive Minitures baton arm).

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 08:21:46 AM »
Thanks! Some fine ideas

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
In my experience, civilians are usually put to use in three roles on the tabletop; as extra's/set dressing, protestors/opponents or objectives/hostages.

The clix ones can be used as extra's without issue; the posing is generally casual, so they can be perfect bystanders/pedestrians. There are also good offerings in this regard to be found in the architectural and model train isles. Those niches have 1/48 or 1/50 human models in bulk. Posing is always very undynamic and especially the architectural ones come in unpainted white plastic. Their dimensions are obviously realistic and sort of low res, so they might be out of place alongside the more heroic types. But they might work very well alongside Infinity and/or HINT miniatures with the right paintjob.

Also, the upcoming Infinity roleplaying game has a pack of some very nice civilians, and when the game proves succesful, I reckon more will follow.

Protestors/rioters/looters should be more dynamic, and there are quite a few offerings, throwing bricks or molotov cocktails. I'd like to see some holding up signs actually, and maybe a few yelling in a bullhorn or yelling and pointing, as instigators/ringleaders.

I'm thinking a few of these in the front row, with the aforementioned architectural minis as a mob, grouped on large bases, in the background would make for a very cool protesting mob to oppose your thin blue(?) line of Riot Police/Corporate Security/Judges/Arbites.

And finally, the objectives. Obviously, you could use some of the above minis in this role, but there are some nice hostage miniatures out there that would be perfect; bound and gagged office worker types (I have a set of these in resin; can't remember the manufacturer). Fleeing and running miniatures would be another good idea. Megacon Games' Mercs:Recon game has plenty of escaping office workers and lab personnel (if you can stand their bendy, soft detail products).
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
If they are only for set dressing... why not use paper/cardboard ones?

Easy to make by picking photographs from Google, shrinking them to fit, printing them out and mounting them on card so that they stand up.

That way, they cost pence, don't take much effort and fulfil a purpose... job jobbed :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
I am going to be taking the easy route with civvies and use the train set stuff, cheap from China for mine when I get time to paint them.

Here is a shot that Dr Zombie posted of his...

Mine ended up like this after a wash of armypainter strong tone and a quick and dirty drybrush.

Cant go wrong, I reckon, using these as the bulk of your civvies as they are cheap as anything and you can simply add a few more expensive options for variety.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
Awesome; that's a great result and one I'm filing for future reference... 8)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »
If you manage t find a link to the seller can you please post it?
I got some 1:50 scale pre-painted railway figures and they were very poor quality and in very old fashioned clothing.   The ones on that picture look more in keeping with a sci-fi feel.

Cheers
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 11:56:00 AM »
Also, the upcoming Infinity roleplaying game has a pack of some very nice civilians, and when the game proves succesful, I reckon more will follow.

Weren't those exclusive to the Kickstarter? I seem to recall lamenting that fact back when it was running.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »
Weren't those exclusive to the Kickstarter? I seem to recall lamenting that fact back when it was running.

Could very well be. I have them through the KS, but assumed they would become available for retail later on...