Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion project re-emerges, page 11, tiny update  (Read 21486 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Tartar Wall (Page 4) (formerly I've "looted" China")
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 02:31:58 AM »
Lot's of work!  No doubt, you will Wow us all in the end.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 03:40:55 AM »
One of the great things about these projects is not only that I have a great time with the planning and building/repurposing/painting, but after 20 collections completed over a period of 40-plus years, I'm still surprised by how they come out in the end.  I think the fun of it all feeds the kid in me and keeps me young.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »
Today I completed the building and texturing of my Tartar Wall.  It is composed of 12 five inch-long wall blocks and a two-part ramp.  The texturing was done using Squadron Green Putty which was sanded after it dryed.  The crenelated and non-crenelated rims on the top of each wall section as well as the ramps are made from Evergreen Plastic.  The wall is five feet long and about 9 inches deep at its deepest point which is the ramp area (wall blocks and two ramp sections).  On one of the wall blocks I have made a representation of the water gate on each side of that wall section.  On the crenelated side of the water gate wall section, I have included a representation of a metal gate.  In making the water gate I used as my source the picture on page 81 of Ospery’s Peking 1900 (#85) from their Campaign range of books.  The painting remains to be done, but good headway was made this week.

IMG_1753 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1754 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1755 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:20:04 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2018, 08:48:44 PM »
Very nice work on the wall and gate.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2018, 01:51:31 AM »
Thank you Hu Rhu... feels good to have the construction of the wall complete.

FifteensAway,  I was reading the Preston book today and found that she indicated that the Chinese were using 10 pieces of artillery during the siege... heavily focused on the Fu.  I believe the reference is on page 160.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 01:43:40 AM »
Well, that's one way to do the water gate - got me to thinking.  I do believe I will actually put a 'bore' though my wall to give that hollow look, easier in wood than in duple.  Big challenge will be creating the canal below 'surface' level since I'll be creating a portable game, not just a display.

Now that I've finished Fort Laramie and the Sioux by Remi Nadeau, a rather in depth look at the Sioux wars with the army from start to finish, I will be diving back into a re-read of the Preston book.

Many a challenge - various projects on the go, not all of them hobby related like a pending kitchen remodel and then an extreme maintenance SWMBO that can be too much of a challenge at times - to hinder progress on my wall.  But it is not ignored.  And next Tuesday a shipment is due from Blue Moon/Old Glory25s if UPS keeps up there scheduled delivery date, two packages above a total 60 pounds!  Lots and lots of resin and not all for the Boxers.  Photos as soon as I can but that might not be until into June, just have to wait and see.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 04:14:34 AM »
FifteensAway, really looking forward to your next set of pictures.  Also be sure to post any info you come across regarding legation roof colors.  I suppose that if there is no documentation of that, I can't go too wrong with whatever I select, but it would be nice to have it accurately done if possible.
With the Tartar War done except for the painting, I decided to turn my attention to seeing if I could build myself a figure/piece/item I can’t find at a price I can/will pay.  When Blue Moon 15s put together their wonderful Boxer Rebellion line of figures, they didn’t forget “passive” civilians… great powers and Chinese.  What they didn’t include in their passive Chinese civilians pack was a rickshaw or two.  There might well be a good reason for that, but nonetheless I wanted one/some.  After a long search for 15mm rickshaws on the internet, I came to accept that the only rickshaw that comes close to 15mm is the one by Atlantic Toys for their Chinese Revolution range of figures, and those are simply out of my price range.  With that realization behind me, I opted to see if I could make an acceptable rickshaw out of Evergreen Plastic and leftover Old Glory 15s’ wheels.  I used figures from the Blue Moon 15mm Boxer Rebellion’s passive Chinese civilian line to pull the rickshaws (I ended up making three) and Preiser HO scale Victorian/Edwardian figures for the passengers.  While they still need to be painted, I think they will serve my purposes just fine so I’m working on a fourth.
IMG_1758 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:24:26 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 05:09:04 AM »
Richard,

Quite a nice job on those rickshaws.  If I may, which figures are you using for the 'motors' so to speak? 

You might consider looking into finding some TT scale people if they make them for the period.  They might work better than HO figures - though I know you aren't overly bothered by the scale difference.  The OG figures are roughly 1:100 and the HO 1:87 and the TT 1:120 so a bit of a difference either way.  Another alternative - and more of a challenge perhaps - are 1:96 people which would be the best fit.  Just harder to find and maybe not so cheap.  For the TT, I believe Reynauld's European imports figures but at a bit of a price and with something of a wait - and one heck of a wait if they are currently out of stock (surface shipping so months, not days or weeks - and that's only if the figures are made and then get painted for market).

If you know of anyone with a 3D printer you might ask them if they can track down a printable rickshaw model and suitable figures.  But only if you want more than four, what you've done will certainly work a charm.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 05:39:27 AM »
FifteensAway, I was surprised and thrilled to find that in the Blue Moon Passive Chinese Civilian pack there are two slightly different male figures (x 2 each) walking with hands at their sides that worked perfectly as the men pulling the rickshaws... absolutely no modification was need for either for of those two figure types.  As for the passengers, I'm pretty happy with the look of the Preiser figures.  My scratch built rickshaws proved very simple to make.  When I did the first one I honestly believed I was not going to find the outcome acceptable, but I felt I needed to try.  They are not perfect rickshaws in terms of having the classic rickshaw look, but I liked the first one I did so much that I made three more (the fourth is now complete).  I'm not gluing the passengers in so I have the option of rickshaws with passengers and empty.  Also, there may turn out to be times when I want the seated passenger figures for other purposes.  All in all, I'm very happy with how they came out, and I think they will give my pre-siege Peking streets more of the look I want.  I think I have at least three of the Blue Moon Passive Chinese Civilian packs (maybe 4; I'm a nut for civilians) and one pack of the Blue Moon Great Powers non-fighting civilians.  I also have 4 of the Preiser Victorian/Edwardian figures (I found two more Preiser Victorian/Edwardian figure boxes since posting the first two; one of the newly found Preiser boxes is Europeans with bicycles).  Now I must decide what part of my Boxer Rebellion project to take on next.  It always surprises me that after more than 40 years of painting figures for these projects, each time I start a new project I somehow feel I have forgotten how to paint.  That said, figure painting by me will probably begin this next week unless I decide to paint the Tartar Wall first.

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
They look so wonderful! They are very inspiring!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
Miltiades, you would know better than most; it's a fun project.  By the way I borrowed the plan for my Tartar War ramp from you.  Thank you.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
A little something for Richard - though he'll have to follow the link to get the real reward!

And here is said link:

https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com

I've also made some 'progress' on my Tartar wall.  I realized I could use a milled moulding to get my 'tilting/canted' wall effect so I went and bought 32' of the material today.  No time today to get the table saw out but I will run it through to cut to the right height and a flush bottom and then glue to a base and top board - and a solid core where the water gate will be for the bore for said gate.   

I've also decided I will add four bastions on the exterior side of the wall, two on either side of the water gate and then one each properly spaced on the two other walls to the left and right - and I will forego trying to build those gate towers.  As 'consolation' I plan to use a couple of the smaller buildings I've ordered up on top of the wall to add some character.  Twelve feet of wall is a lot of wall and could get a bit boring.  The inner side will get two ramps similar to what War in 15 mm has been showing as inspired by Miltiades (who was inspired by a certain movie).  And, yes, I have a plan of how to add the bastions and maintain the canted angle of the walls - that's why 32' instead of only 24' of the milled moulding.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:34:02 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »
FifteensAway, it is an absolutely beautiful building and will do the Swiss owner (I think that is right) of the Hotel de Pekin proud.  Your plan for the wall sounds good... far more creative than Duplos, and I really look forward to seeing the bastions.  I may have to create another of my Duplo wall sections so I can have a bastion too, but right now I am turning my attention to building the pre-siege walls for the legations.  Keep the pictures coming.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2018, 03:36:29 PM »
FifteensAway, another question about Miniature Building Authority.  In your personal stock of 15mm terrain do you also have the Miniature Building Authority 15mm Academy?  Unlike the Town Hall, MBA does not provide the measurements for the Academy.  If you have their 15mm Academy, please send me the measurements: height, length (side to side) and depth (front to back).  I emailed MBA for the information, but who knows when or if they will respond... I'm not knocking MBA, but I don't know how good they are about working their email.  Thanks, Richard
PS  I started painting my Duplo Tartar War yesterday.  Should have some pics later and maybe the whole wall done Monday or Tuesday.  At that point the Boxer Rebellion will go on hold for a couple days while I apply my homemade/daughter made decals to my Post Apos collection.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 03:43:09 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
Six of the 15 sections of my Tartar Wall are now finished.  The remaining nine have been sprayed with their base coat of black, and I should have the painting/drybrushing and highlighting complete by Tuesday.  The actual wall and ramp only require 14 sections, but I made one extra wall section/block that is not as long as the rest just in case the fit of the wall on the table proves a little too tight.IMG_1769(1) by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1770(1) by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1771(1) by Richard Garretson, on Flickr