Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion project re-emerges, page 11, tiny update  (Read 21314 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Boxer Rebellion project re-emerges, page 11, tiny update
« on: April 17, 2018, 01:46:26 AM »
Added some new photos and thoughts regarding layout for a Boxer Rebellion game loosely inspired by the 55 Minutes at Peking game from eons ago.

Check out the blog if you like:

https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:11:55 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Boxer Rebellion Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:43:58 AM »
FifteensAway, this is good stuff.  I'll be following your work.  With my post apoc 28mm collection done( though not yet photographed and posted), after a break of about a week I'll be moving to my Blue Moon 15mm/18mm Boxer Rebellion.  I'll need all the help I can get with layout.  I have two 5 ft x 7 ft tables to work with... I need to put this collection together using just those.  When I did my FIW layouts I used the 2 tables twice to allow four different layouts, but those represented four entirely different aspects of the war.  This time I'm only doing what I can do on the two tables... kind of excited about getting the show on the road.  Keep posting; I'll keep watching.   Richard

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:33 PM »
What a huge undertaking.
Am sure when it is done it will look great.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:39:48 PM »
Can't wait to see the painted buildings and walls!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 11:55:05 PM »
More!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 03:27:18 AM »
Based on the thunderous demand for more, here's more:

Or maybe it was just Smokeyrone's plea!   lol

More photos on the blog, link in OP.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:05:40 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
this is going to be a wonderful game when it's completed. [... I wonder when it will be completed. Not very soon I guess]

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 12:39:37 AM »
Pretty serious painting queue there. I will be checking in to ensure that they meet your usual quality lol lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:02:40 AM »
FifteensAway, in following your Boxer Rebellion back and forth with ragbones, I note that you are making your Tartar Wall 6" tall.  What is your intended width for that wall?  As is my norm when doing scratch builds for my projects, I plan to build my wall using Duplos and probably some Legos.  What will you be building yours out of... wood (I see what appear to be 2x4s on the table)?  What are you using for your canal bridges?  I appreciate any help you can offer.  This next week I plan to do my initial table layout to see what I can do on tables that are 5 ft x 7 ft.  Because this project's terrain involves so many pieces, I am thinking that once I have the basic layout, I will use poster board to make templets of each of the legation's grounds so I will not have to rebuild the whole thing each time I want to work with the layout.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 04:32:49 AM »
Richard,

My Tartar wall will be 12' long in total (with as many as three gates) and I expect I will use 1" x 6" lumber for the sides and top (and maybe bottom?).  Haven't settled yet on the width but I'd say no less than 3" but might go for 4".  I will have to experiment a bit to find what works right.  Right now I'm thinking 6" tall but I might go a bit higher if needed to get the right balance with the width. 

One thing I have decided - based on photographic evidence - one side of the wall will have a 'solid' wall on top and the other side will be 'crenelated' like a castle.  Will have to go back and look at more photos to decide if the wall will be straight walled or at an angle (if at an angle I will run the thin edge of  the 1 x 6 through a table saw with the blade canted).

Just placed another order for the balance of the OG/Blue Moon buildings I will be buying for this setup.  Time permitting, I will setup and take photographs and post to the blog. 

Because of that 12' length, I'll probably 'stylize' the texture of the wall, maybe some plastic bricks such as used in model railroading and then a layer of tinted sparkling compound (to avoid white showing if it chips).  Also still investigating how to do the surface of the top of the wall.

With the legations, I used a permanent black marker to label the base of each end of each piece in Alpaha Sequence to facilitate setting up quickly.  Does help quite a bit.

Haven't finalized decisions on canal bridges - but I do have at least one aquarium piece I'll probably use.  Because of my "U" shaped set-up with 6' of the canal on either side of the open space (4' x 6'), so half a canal on each side, several of the bridges will only be "half" bridges with its matching mate on the other side of the gap.

I have the good fortune to be tackling this project with a gaming buddy assisting - he is painting the first batch of boxers.  He also has a 3D printer that might be pressed into service.  And I'm awaiting some plastic rickshaws and sampans (maybe - don't know that they'll work in Peking but maybe for field battle games such as the two relief expeditions) courtesy of a kind LAF soul.

Even with his assistance, I'm pretty sure you'll lap me to the finish line with your prodigious rate of production!   :D

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
FifteensAway, I completed my initial set up of the 5 legations in the discount package.  I have IDed the bottom of each piece with its location using a Sharpie, and I have made poster board templets for the 5 legations.  I now have some more questions about what you are planning:
1. You are putting the two-story block-house-style building in the British legation in a different place than it is shown on the Old Glory/Blue Moon website.  What is your reason for doing that?
2. I have been googling this stuff for awhile and have the movie 55 Days At Peking.  This has given me some thoughts on the directions I can go with regard to the colors of the legations... basically beige or tan or light grey with roofs of red or blue tile.  Have you made up your mind on the color issues?
3. BRB 103 which I think is the main building in the Japanese legation (I probably should have checked) has a lot of scrolling detail.  Have you given any thought as to how that should be painted in terms of color... same as overall building or ...?
I appreciate any insights you can offer.  It is really nice to have someone else working this project at the same time I am.
Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 01:01:00 AM »
Uh-oh, not going to be much help here, Richard. 

#1: no reason, just experimenting.  I believe there were actually two such buildings in the British legation and both were labeled as student housing - which makes me wonder who were the students? 

#2: No decisions on coloring yet but roof colors will vary between blue, green, red, and yellow - the last reserved for Imperial buildings (and likely highlighted with gold).  Apparently there is a hierarchy to roof colors at the time - and green was kind of low on that totem pole and thus more appropriate for the legations (?), I think that was the color of the roof of the Tsungli Yamen - which was the lowest and meanest building the Imperial court could find to deal with those smelly, rude foreigners - and doubtless inscrutable.  (With apologies for such terminology, not meant to be offensive, just 'period'.) 

#3: First not sure what scrolling you are referring to, and, yes, 103 is the Japanese building.  On the back of the Russian legation is what appears to be the Russian Imperial coat-of-arms.  Wondering if that is what you are asking about?

Wish I could be more helpful.  Based on the scarcity of hard information - unless it comes to light - I don't think you can go wrong bringing your artistic eye to the problem.  Though I agree beige, tan, and light gray for the walls is workable. 

Really wondering about the ruins in the British Legation as modeled by Blue Moon, too?  Seems out of place but I'm guessing some research was done to support what they did.

Love to hear input from others that have 'hard' evidence on this topic.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 01:54:29 AM »
FifteensAway, thanks so much for your quick response to my questions... much appreciated.  I hope you don't mind if I continue to use you as a resource throughout this project.  It is rare that I find myself sharing an interest in a project to the degree that we are sharing this one.

Let me return to roof color.  Is it your sense that legation roofs would fall in the red and blue range... neither highest nor lowest?

After posting my last set of questions I found a picture in Osprey's Peking 1900 at the bottom of page 83 that appears to be the student house and seems to located as placed by Blue Moon.

In terms of the Tartar Wall, let me ask what is probably a lazy question.  Is the crenelated side the same side as the legations?

At some point I think I read something about the ruins located in the back left of the Blue Moon British legation, but can't remember where to find it, and my Boxer prep work took a nap during the last few months of my work on my post apoc collection.

Thanks again for the help.
Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:16 AM »
FifteensAway, here's a possible answer to the question about the ruins next to the British legation grounds.  In doing a little reading this evening in the Osprey Peking 1900 I found a passage explaining the reasons for selecting the British legation as the main point of defense: large grounds, not directly under the Tartar Wall and good field of fire.  On page 57 it speaks to the fact that to enhance the legation's field of fire, they burned Chinese homes next to the British legation... those ruins may represent that effort to enhance the legation's field of fire.
Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:35 AM »
FifteensAway, here's a possible answer to the question about the ruins next to the British legation grounds.  In doing a little reading this evening in the Osprey Peking 1900 I found a passage explaining the reasons for selecting the British legation as the main point of defense: large grounds, not directly under the Tartar Wall and good field of fire.  On page 57 it speaks to the fact that to enhance the legation's field of fire, they burned Chinese homes next to the British legation... those ruins may represent that effort to enhance the legation's field of fire.
Richard
The posting was slow so I clicked a second time, thus the repeat of this posting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:23:41 AM by War In 15MM »