Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion project re-emerges, page 11, tiny update  (Read 21320 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Boxer Rebellion Photos
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 03:51:05 AM »
FifteensAway, what are you using for the Hanlin College/ruins?  Richard

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 04:54:19 AM »
Ask away - just be equally prepared to answer away!   Here, hopefully, is a link on the wall question: .  Clearly shows the crenellation facing away from the legations.

If you don't have the Diana Preston book, The Boxer Rebellion, buy and read it.  Personally, I think it is the best book on the siege.

Your thoughts on the British legation damaged area may very well be correct.  Many period photographs show buildings jam-packed together so that makes sense.

Somewhere along the way I think you asked about the Mongol Market which would be between the British and Russian legation but "outboard" of them, not really in between them.  On the same side would be the carriage park but closer to the Imperial City.

Also, try googling Aerial Photos of China circa 1900.  Seems there was a French group of balloonists with cameras taking photos.  Unfortunately, so far, I've found very few that are well labelled and of Peking and the legation quarter - though one may be a very good image of the Peitang Cathedral but may also be from Tientsin rather than Peking.

I'm still trying to get more information on roof colors myself but as I find more I'll be happy to share.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 05:45:50 AM »
Ordered The Boxer Rebellion by Diana Preston tonight.  Thanks for the recommendation.  My previous reads on the subject have been two Osprey books and The Fists of Righteous Harmony/Boxer Rebellion by Henry Keown-Boyd which is a day to day account.  Since it is organized by both date and location it is an easy book to use when trying to track things down.
Richard

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
Try again: https://www.google.com/search?q=top+of+the+tartar+wall&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjgsb3NjdLaAhULiVQKHb6rA-sQsAR6BAgAECc&biw=1240&bih=637#imgrc=rRpqYjal6EsYlM:

That is the link to the page with the photos (again, hopefully).  If it works, just explore and you should find the image of the top of the wall.  Or just google Top of the Tartar Wall, that's how I found the images. 

Notable elements of the image is the width, 30' to 40' wide at a guess, both 'paved' areas and piles of dirt - and a building on top of the wall itself.  The challenge, of course, is not knowing which part to the wall is represented.  Does show the bastions that extend out from the wall quite close together so I'll need to build many of them for my 12' of wall to remain authentic - but I might space them a bit wide, we'll see.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »
Thank you.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 01:59:38 PM »
FifteensAway or anyone with the info, why is the roof on the Russian legation missing?  That is the way it is picture on the Old Glory/Blue Moon site and the way it is shown in your pictures?  I have not read anything that explains why this building in particular came with no roof.  Thanks, Richard

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
Well, butter my ass and call me a biscuit... That is a very ambitious project.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
I went to Petco today and found the bridges I will be using over the canal.  They are 5” long x 2” wide.  The opening is 2 ½” wide x 1” tall at its highest point.  While the bridges have steps that are more appropriately sized for 28mm figures, I plan to cover those with a sheet of Evergreen Plastic so they will be more road-like than steps.  Each bridge is resin (fish tank pieces) and cost $5.99 each.  I think they should work fine.  I haven’t decided whether to keep or cut off the decorative red balls… still have a lot of time to decide on that.
IMG_1728 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 12:41:55 AM »
Richard, "great minds think alike" so we must have 'great minds'!  That's exactly the bridge I have, well, at least one of them.

And, well, Hammers, I'm not quite sure what to say about "Well, butter my ass and call me a biscuit.."  Round these parts such a bromide is likely to get you poked, repeatedly and in rapid succession and from a direction you might not be expecting.  Just saying' man.  And if that floats your ferry boat, sail on, wayward son.   :D

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
FifteensAway, there I think the bridges will work out great.

I have a question about your use of artillery by the Chinese military.  In relation to the Tartar Wall or specific legations, where are you placing your Chinese artillery and how many pieces are you using?

If it is okay with you I will continue our back and forth on our common subject.  I have never had the pleasure of working on a project that I could discuss with some who was essentially working on the same project and solving similar problems. 

Richard

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 01:06:47 AM »
Richard, continuing the discussion is of value to me as well as we share our findings and ideas and progress.  Speaking of which, here is something I got to enhance the project through the kindness of a stranger (who is a fellow LAF denizen):

More on my Boxer page on my blog if you feel so inclined - the page link shifted to the bottom row for reasons I still haven't sorted out.

To your specific question about artillery: haven't come to any firm decisions but I do figure it will mostly be ineffective, especially if Boxer manned.  There is debate as to whether much of the fire into the Legation area was just bad shooting or intentionally 'missing' much of the time.  I figure most artillery firing into the legations would have been manned by Imperial troops since the Boxers destained western technology (not sure if they thought of artillery as such since its basis was gunpowder, a Chinese invention).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:11:37 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 01:15:03 AM »
Those are outstanding and if they are what I think they are very difficult to find and even harder to afford.  Congrats.  I have a couple things to share that you might be interested in.  I'll  post here when I have a couple of pictures taken to share... probably this evening. 

What are your plans for positioning Chinese army artillery... where and how much?

Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 03:20:16 AM »
FifteensAway, here are a couple items for your consideration.  In looking at photos of the French legation during the Boxer Rebellion I have noticed that there are 2 Foo Lion Dogs at the gates.  The only miniature I have found that approximates the size needed is the Foo Lion Dog included in the Zen Accessory pack put out as part of Wyrd’s Malifaux line of figures… that would be the small metal statue figure next to the Blue Moon European civilian in the attached picture.  Over the years I have also found several larger Foo Lion Dog style statues at the swap meet and while they are very nice, they are probably too large to be of any practical value with this collection… probably better for my 28s.  Also several years ago in preparation for working on the Boxer Rebellion someday, I picked up two packs of Preiser HO scale turn of the century European figures.  In terms of size they are pretty good compared with the Blue Moon European figure pictured.  I found the Preiser figures years before Blue Moon introduced their 15mm Boxer Rebellion collection.  Just thought I’d share… don’t want to be just a taker in this process.  Richard
IMG_1731 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1732 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 05:30:37 AM »
I'll be checking into those Preiser figures - though fearful of the price (and wondering if they are still available).  Recent information at a regional hobby shop leads me to believe that hand painted model rail figures are heading towards a low altitude stratosphere for pricing.

For more Foo Dog style sculpts, swing by a gem and bead show and - if you get lucky - you can find all sorts of suitable items.  I have a stash I'll have to dig out for photography and sharing.

If you can get hold of a copy of Miniature Wargames issue 30 from November of 1985 there is an article about the original 55 Minutes of Peking game as put on by the Staines group that is also in Wargames Illustrated issues 26 and 27 (26 just has a photo, 27 has the later article with the expanded game).  The issue 30 article marks some spots on the accompanying map for artillery.

I'm off to finish reading the article from issue 30.

I have lots of artillery pieces for my set up but much of it is intended for field battles rather than the siege.

I expect you know about Old Glory 15s and their compatible Boxer figure range.  Do you also know about Matchlock Miniatures range?  Similar in size but a bit static but does give additional options.  There used to be a company called Cellmate Miniatures that also did Boxer figures but in a smaller size.  I have a mix of all plus the Blue Moon via Old Glory 25s.

If you can't come up with the article, let me know and we'll make arrangements to get a copy in your hands.  There are only black and white photographs to go with the text and the map.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
Preiser are expensive; no question about that.  I think the boxes they came in still have their part numbers if you want them.

Are you using BRB-132 for the Fu?  From my reading it was the focus of several Chinese Krupp guns.

What other cannon were in use by the Chinese army during the siege?  So far I have purchased only three of the Krupp pieces.  Since I am not a gamer my total focus will be on the siege so I will not be addressing any of the action outside of that arena.

Last night I attacked the steps on one of the bridges with Milliput (yellow grey/red and white box/my favorite) to give it a smooth road look.  I think it came out pretty good.  I'll take a picture and send it along so you can see how it came out.

Richard