Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion project re-emerges, page 11, tiny update  (Read 21499 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Boxer Rebellion Photos
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
FifteensAway, since I was out in my storage shed this afternoon I pulled the two Preiser figure boxes and wrote the  part numbers down.  The larger of the two boxes is 12045.  The small/regular box is 12139.  I won't pass along the prices (tags still on the boxes); I bought them years ago and the prices are serious.  It would be nice if all the Preisers were sold with the unpainted option... some are, but I don't think that is common.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:14 AM »
FifteensAway, your views about the look and construction of the Tartar War set me to putting together the Duplo skeletons/blocks for my Tartar Wall; no wall detail just the blocks.  I decided to jump into this part of the project now because I was sure I would not have enough rectangular Duplos to complete the 12 sections (each 5 inches long) plus ramps I will require for the five feet of wall I will need.  As it turned out I was able to put together skeletons/blocks for the 12 wall sections with the Duplos on hand.  That drains me of the rectangular Duplos.  I should have no trouble finding the Duplos needed for the wall ramps during my swap meet visits.   The swap meet will provide; it always has.

Additionally, I’ve begun the process of modifying the Petco bridges by smoothing over the bridge steps with yellow-grey Milliput.  One is done and dry/hardened.  The other two are done and drying.

IMG_1729 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1733 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 02:37:06 AM »
Well, I've amassed some 'loot' for my China modeling, here is an example:

And here is the link to the blog for more: https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

Richard, dude, that is going to be a LOT of a LOT of Duplo blocks.  A couple of well thought out pieces of wood will get your there a lot quicker.  But, hey, whatever floats your sampan - or junk if you're more ambitious.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:39:39 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: I've "looted" China (Page 3)
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »
That's some great stuff.  I love the pagodas.  For a number of years a woman at the swap meet sold ceramic Asian structures that I expect were intended for garden pot decor.  She and they are no longer there.  The structures were brightly colored and highly glazed and swap meet cheap so over time I filled a box with them and stored them in a safe place, but unlike you I can't remember where I put the box... probably will find it a week or so after I post my Boxer gallery.

I have all the Duplo blocks for the Tartar Wall done... no detail or surfacing or "railing" or painting, just 12 five-inch-long blocks (lots and lot of Duplos) that stretch the five feet I need.  I also still have  to figure out the wall ramps... have to buy more Duplos.  The swap meet is tomorrow and I may get lucky.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
Amazing work by both of you gentlemen and I will be keeping up with this thread on a regular basis!

@Richard: Is your swap meet the one at the Rose Bowl?
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »
Mad Guru, the Rose Bowl swap meet is too upscale for me.   Also I'm further south in Orange County.  The community colleges in this area hold parking lot swap meets most weekend (probably only 3 or 4 exceptions during big holidays).  Unfortunately over the years most of these swap meets have become little more than outdoor dollar stores.  I'm looking for the old, the cast off and the broken.  That is where the treasure can be found.  Only one of these local swap meets has remained largely wonderful junk and that is the one I attend.  It is the one held at Gold West Community College.   Don't tell anyone... our secret.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 01:54:14 AM »
FifteensAway, I was inspired by your post to do a serious search for my missing ceramic Asian buildings, and it took some time, but I found them.
IMG_1736 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
Looks good and I expect will see them much converted in the not so distant future.  My favorite piece is the low covered pavilion on the right. 

On the whole subject of artillery you keep asking about, I'm afraid I'm not much more knowledgable than you on the subject - if that.  But I do continue to look for more information and will share whatever comes to light.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 02:49:32 PM »
FifteensAway, my experience with Lemax buildings tells me that I do not have the talent/skills to cut this kind of stuff... it ain't resin.  So any modifying I do will be with Milliput and a paint brush.  Honestly, if I thought I could get them to blend with the other buildings and figures I would probably just spray them with Dullcote and keep them as painted, but I doubt that will work.  I will need to use some Milliput at the base of a couple to make them more user friendly for 15mm people.

In terms of the Blue Moon buildings, have you decided what you will be using to represent the Fu and Hanlin College?  Does BRB-132 play a part in either?

Once again, thank you for posting the pictures of the China loot.  If you hadn't not done that I might not have had the motivation to battle through the many, many boxes in the shed, and wouldn't you know it they were in the bottom box, in the last stack behind everything else.  That's said, I'm glad I fought the battle.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »
FifteensAway, my copy of The Box Rebellion by Diana Preston arrived today.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2018, 03:42:29 AM »
I'll look forward to hearing your opinion of the book - and be alert to the section about roof colors.   I've been trying to find time to do so myself but life can be a bear sometimes.  Especially in spring when the honey-do list gets WAY too long.   lol

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2018, 04:35:28 AM »
Most of my hobby time today was devoted to building the ramp for my Tartar War.  It turned out to be easier than I thought it would be... sometimes luck plays a big part in these efforts.  I'll take a picture when time permits.  As of this moment the only construction I have left in terms of the wall is a water gate and the rims, crenelated and non-crenelated, on the top edges of the walls.  I've decided to cheat in terms of the finish I will use on the wall.  I originally thought I would cover the Duplos with JTT stone, but JTT is getting difficult to find these days and it would require a lot of JTT plastic stone sheet to pull that off so I'm going to texture the wall with Squadron Green Putty.  Speaking of me as a fraud when in comes to the authentic, this collection will be placed on one of my 5 ft. x 7 ft. tables and that rather than history is going to dictate the placement of a lot of terrain.  The British legation will of course be the central piece of terrain and to the degree that I can locate terrain properly the terrain will key off of the British legation.  I am dedicated to having the Imperial Canal, Tartar Wall, Hanlin College and market properly placed in terms of the British legation.  I'll try to get the Fu as close as possible.  Everything else will be arranged according to the dictates of the table's size.
I did take some time this evening to scan the Preston book... used the index to read what was available on the Fu.  I also noted that Preston offers some nice information on Chinese artillery... a couple of good references to the placement and use of some Krupp guns.
Keep your wife happy and post when you can.  This conversation really works for me.  I've tried a couple of time with different levels of success to post WIP threads, but I'm not very good at it.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »
In terms of roof colors mentioned in the Preston book I may need your guidance.  As far as I can tell the only reference made to roof color has to do with the British legation which had a green tile roof.  I couldn't find any reference to the French, Japanese, Russian or US legation roof colors.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
My Tartar War still has a lot of detail work to do in terms of adding the water gate, the crenelated and no crenelated "railing" on the top edges of the walls, and surfacing the walls, but completing the construction of the wall's ramp was a big step in the right direction for this project. I included the second picture which is the back side of the lower ramp to show the construction.  I should also note that there are three unseen plastic rails that run the length of the surface of each ramp to provide strength.
IMG_1742 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1743 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:29:59 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2018, 08:35:13 PM »
Just great work
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!