Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686474
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion project re-emerges, page 11, tiny update  (Read 21315 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Tartar Wall: A Bastion Sprouts (photo on Page 8 and blog)
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »
Sir, thank you for posting those photos of your Old West buildings with the ruler, it will help me make some decisions.  Also, especially the saloon, it is nice to get some 'spotlight' photos of your work - the signs stand out better in these shots than in your Old West gallery shots (at least for me with my aging eyes).

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
As I wrote in my response to your PM that apparently didn't get through,  I've contacted Brookhurst.  They still have buildings in stock.  I'll stop by there today, and they'll check to see which ones they have, and I'll post a list for you here.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2018, 08:27:57 PM »
I stopped by Brookhurst today, and they checked their stock of buildings for the western town:
#5     Outhouses (2)  1 in stock
#21   Jail    2 in stock
#22   Store 1    1 in stock
#23   Store 2    1 in stock
#24   Saloon     1 in stock
#25   Livery Stable    3 in stock
#26   Add On Outbuilding   3 in stock
#27   Wood Cabin    11 in stock  (I didn't use this one)
#28   Roof and Sidewalk    2 in stock (I made my own out of Evergreen plastic)
#29   Water Tower     11 in stock
#30   Station     0 in stock
#40   Troughs and Tie Rails    6 in stock
#73   Small Farmhouse    3 in stock
#74   Church      2 in stock
#75   Large Farmhouse    4 in stock

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
True to your character Richard, very generous of you to not only take the time to ask but to get - and post - such a detailed description of Brookhurst's holdings.  Thank you, sir.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Happy to help out.  I should have noted that at the time I did my town I don't think the two farmhouses were available nor was the church.  I may add the church to my town one of these days.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2018, 10:20:09 PM »
Richard, in line with adding to your town, over on the Old West board I have a thread asking about the comparison between Peter Pig and Stone Mountain buildings - with input from the designer of the Stone Mountain buildings.  Looks like they will work together., the Peter Pig and Stone Mountain.  I'd recommend getting your farm houses and church especially from Stone Mountain, better models and more appropriate for US Old West - in my opinion at least.  I posted similar measured photos to yours on that thread.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:41 AM »

More on the blog, link in an earlier post or three.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Tartar Wall: Gets Populated (Page 9)
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »
This is looking good.  You are moving right along.  You may just drag me kicking and screaming into making a bastion. 
Right now I have returned to the the pre-siege British legation walls.  I say returned because I actually began this part of the project by seeing if I could build the British legation's entrance so it is done in terms of the construction phase.  This morning I finished the construction of the small building (maybe a jail/brig or ammo bunker) in the tiny gated courtyard.  Building that pretty little gate will not be easy.  I have also complete the construction of the inner core (Legos) of the British legation's rear gatehouse and I hope to be well into putting its exterior plastic skin on it by the end of the day.  One of the big decision I made about building the pre-siege legation walls for the British legation's compound is that I will be doing a bit of cheating.  The Blue Moon original has only three large wall posts as part of the wall construction.  I am going to add an additional eight so I will be building eleven of them in total.  My reason for doing this is that without the posts bringing the walls together at the many corners will be a real pain.  Ultimately this will save me time, headaches and a lot of Milliput.  My geometry stinks.  I've got the 11 posts' inner cores (square Legos) together and ready to be covered.  I hope to have them completed sometime time tomorrow.  I have an eye appointment early in the morning and my wife and I will be spending so time with our baby granddaughter in the late morning so I'm not sure how much hobby stuff will get done on Tuesday.  I'll post some pictures when I have a few more things done.  Keep going on that Tartar War all those bastions.  Richard
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:54:54 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2018, 11:03:12 PM »
The habit I have developed in the process of scratch building the pre-siege legation walls is to build the structures cast as part of the original resin walls before building the walls themselves.  In the case of the British legation I began by building the legation’s entrance.  Once I knew that I could scratch build a structure that complex I moved to the construction of the other legations: first the French legation, second the Russian legation, third the Japanese legation and fourth the US legation.  With those completed I returned to working on the British legation.  Thus far I have completed (in addition to the legation’s entrance) the small peaked roof building located in the small interior courtyard, the rear gatehouse, and ten wall posts.  My next task is to scratch build the gate to the small courtyard.  Once the gate to the small courtyard is done, I will begin working on the walls themselves.  To keep each of the wall sections a reasonable length, meaning a length not longer than the length of the JTT plastic tile I will be using, I plan on building the British legation’s pre-siege walls in 19 sections.
IMG_1854 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1855 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1856 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2018, 12:37:10 AM »
So, at the rate you are going, you'll be done, what, next week?!    lol  Okay, maybe not until the end of July, maybe August.   :D

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2018, 03:36:01 AM »
FifteensAway, things are moving along pretty well though after tomorrow work on this project will shut down until next week because Thursday is my birthday and we have places to go and people to see.  Also starting on Friday and moving through the weekend my focus will be on the photo session for my 28mm Post Apoc collection... looking forward to that.  It will take a day to set it up, a day for the photography and a day to put it all away.  I'll be a tired old guy. 
Late this afternoon after my morning eye appointment,  some quality time with our granddaughter/grandbaby and my afternoon zzzzzz, I did find time to build the small interior courtyard gate.  Because I relied on Legos for the basic structure, it will be sightly larger than the original (about 1/2" wider and about an 1/8" taller), but it came out pretty well; wasn't an easy piece to make.  I'll try to remember to post a picture of it tomorrow if I remember to pull myself away from wall making.
I'm really looking forward to your progress on the Tartar Wall bastions... I've been thinking about them a lot.  Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2018, 01:51:58 AM »
Last evening I completed the construction of the gate to the small inner courtyard of the British legation.  Today while getting ready to start the walls for the British legation I realized that while the main entrance gate I built for the British legation matches the original Blue Moon main entrance gate in height I had forgotten that the Blue Moon entrance gate is on a raised base and so mine was short by comparison.  Since all my wall measurements are taken from the Blue Moon walls this was going to be a problem so my work this morning began by raising my main entrance on a base of Milliput.  Once that was done, I completed the construction of the front wall of the British legation and one additional wall section that will become the wall section on the rearmost wall section on the right side.  Still have to add the Milliput bases.  That will probably do it for the week as the next few days will be birthday with friends and family and photo session-related work for my 28mm Post Apoc collection (Between LA and Las Vegas).
IMG_1859 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_1860 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2018, 11:12:37 PM »
I’ve been away from the Boxer Rebellion project for a few days while I worked on the photographing of my 28mm Post Apoc Gallery.  Hopefully the photos for the Post Apoc project will be posted before the end of the month.  Yesterday I had some time to work on the pre-siege walls for the British legation and completed the small inner courtyard of the British legation compound.IMG_1872 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2018, 03:53:41 AM »
Moving along, Richard, moving right along.  And not to be outdone this time, here is a photo or so of my progress:

And the link to the blog for your convenience, numerous more photos there: https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html

Now, ask yourself, why are there pachyderms in Peking?   :)

(Full disclosure: there are four panels not yet glued to the long walls as I decide where, exactly, to position the bastions - and then cut out an opening at the top of the wall before gluing in place.  There was at least one significant action on a bastion on top of the wall, maybe more.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:06:43 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Twelve Feet of the Tartar Wall and Legation quarter, too (Page 9)
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2018, 04:48:36 AM »
FifteensAway, that is impressive.