Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: hetzer - any 'easy to paint' color schemes for Germany?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline pease1

• Assistant
hetzer - any 'easy to paint' color schemes for Germany?
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
All of the Hetzers came from one of two factories, each with their own complex ambush patterns of cammo. I'm looking for a historic color scheme that's more beginner level to paint. I know these tanks were re-painted in the field. Anyone know of a photo proving a more plane scheme?

Oh, summer please, winter white wash would be easy but my army is all summer paint.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
Re: hetzer - any 'easy to paint' color schemes for Germany?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »
I have done a few 'quick and dirty' German vehicles just using a couple of Tamiya rattle-cans - Base color of Dark Yellow (TS3), with a few scattered areas in Red Brown (TS1) and Dark Green (TS2), using a sheet of paper to help control the spray on the two scatter colors.  The decals, and follow up with a dark oil wash, and some dust/mud weathering. 

For those days I am too lazy or rushed to do up a proper airbrush job.  :)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:36:05 PM »
Panzer Colors I states that from the end of Winter 44/45 onwarrds, most vehicles left the factories with only the basic Dark Yellow coat applied. The book also has one photo of a Hetzer in France 1944 that has an ambush scheme that was hand-painted in the field.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:42:13 PM by Cherno »

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
I simply typed Hetzer camouflage into Google and it brought up loads of images.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/82/43/e6/8243e6c1ece149b9af7010b63d6d3bb9.jpg
This was on pinterest and they seem pretty straightforward.

Offline pease1

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:33:57 PM »
Thanks all.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
 Some definately began in straight Dunkelgelb - there's footage of Hitler inspecting a new batch that are clearly only in DG. If a vehicle survived long enough to get re-painted then simpler schemes appeared (here's a couple).
 It doesn't have to be a challenge to produce a basic camo, all you need are some rattlecans in the three basic colours, (Dunkelgelb, Rotbaun or Schockobraun & Olivegrun or Resedegrun) Tamiya do decent versions & some blu-tak.
 First put down a coat of the DG (& make sure its dry before moving to the next step - at least a couple of hours & preferably longer). Then, with reference to a scheme you like, apply the blu-tak (this will protect the DG pattern). Then spray the OG/RG - let dry, add more blu-tak & repeat for the RB/SB.
 you could then give a light dry brush to the different colours (Vallejo Model colours provide all you'd need) & wash to taste.
 Hope that might be of some use :)