Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 614
Total: 622

Recent

Author Topic: Fenrir's Middle Earth Labour of Love  (Read 24371 times)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Fenrir's Middle Earth Labour of Love
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 03:47:52 PM »
Two nice looking games there!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »
Thanks, Sunjester!

After a long break, I'm currently in the process of gathering the models together for my Arnor army- mostly Late Romans/Arthurians, plus a handful of GW Hobbit Archers- and now I need some advice from my fellow LAFers!

Is there an 'official' Arnor colour-scheme mentioned in Tolkien's work? I was thinking of going for grey/black on tunics, shields etc (so I can cheekily use them as Gondorians in future!), but I wonder if my opinion has been clouded by the films...
Other options are various shades of grey (including a blue/grey) or possibly green- did GW just make up the green scheme on their own range of figures, or is there some canonical reason for this?

My army will be placed sometime during their final wars against Angmar, so a slightly mismatched and ragged appearance might be the way to go!

I'm thinking star of the Dunedain as shield/banner devices- might they have used the white tree design as well (being the sister-kingdom to Gondor)?

Any help would be much appreciated!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »
After a long hiatus, I'm back from the wilds of Eriador with my army of Arthedain (plus some plucky Hobbit archers!), led by King Arvedui- here they are facing the Witch King and the forces of Angmar, somewhere on the North Downs (and as always, please excuse the fuzzy camera-phone photos; I'll try for some better shots down the line but... I was enthusiastic!). Looking at the photos, I think I definitely need to make some kind of backdrop to my scenes!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
...And here are some close-ups of King Arvedui plus Malbeth the Seer and bodyguard, and the Witch King himself, attended by various fell spirits.
Hope you like!

Offline Bodvoc

• Librarian
    • The War Crow
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
They look awesome, must get them on the gaming table over Christmas.
'If I throw a 6 I will do my happy dance.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2018, 04:56:00 PM »
Yep they’re brilliant! Love the figures you’ve used for the Arthedain.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »
They look damn good. Well done. May I ask where you got the wolves from. I am struggling to get wolves of just the right size.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2018, 06:10:59 PM »
How did I miss this?  Two of my long running projects - Dark ages and Middle Earth based fantasy combined with great imagination and skillful painting.

I will be following this for ideas. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 12:21:00 AM »
Beautiful work!  Love the blue

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:02 AM »
Yes - this is a project I love. No particular feedback, just enjoying pretty pics :--)
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! You have done a great job on the Arthedain, I love the banner. I went a slightly different route with my Arthedain banners and just used the star and the winged crown.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:46:49 AM by Sunjester »

Offline djbii

• Librarian
  • The Goblin King
    • HotT 'n' Stuff
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
I really like your ghosts with the blue and the hint of metal.  :)
A life spent making mistakes is not only honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” –  George Bernard Shaw

https://hottnstuff.blogspot.com/ (was http://hitlh.blogspot.com.au/)

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 06:58:07 AM »
Thanks, everyone- I admit I'm very happy with how they turned out!

Bodvoc: That's the aim- give me a shout if you are ever free and we will roll some dice! It would be good to get the Bentham lads involved as well.

Mr. J: Cheers! As you probably can tell, I used Gripping Beast Late Romans- they seemed to fit the feel of a slowly declining civilisation...

Ethelred the Almost Ready: Those are giant wolves by Otherworld Miniatures- a bit pricey, but perfect Wargs in my mind- they also make Dire Wolves which are perfect as 'pack alphas' or maybe even Werewolves.

Dadlamassu: Too kind! Do you have a project thread running on LAF? Great name, by the way.

Killshot: It took a lot of agonising to settle on the colour-scheme- there is a small thread about it somewhere on here. Many thanks to HG Walls and Cubs!

Sunjester: Many thanks- what figures did you use for your Arnorians? I'm not sure whether Arnor used the white tree device, but I had an idea in mind and just went for it...

Djbii: Cheers- they were actually a bit of an experiment using Games Workshop's Nightshade Gloom technical paint, highlighted with Ulthuan Grey. deceptively time-consuming, but I'm very happy with the final effect!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:09:52 AM by Fenrir »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »
Mine are a hodge-podge of Late Roman/Arthurian/Early Saxons. Mostly Gripping Beast (except not in that photo), with some Foundry, Black Tree and others.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 08:17:15 AM »
Thanks, everyone- I admit I'm very happy with how they turned out!

Dadlamassu: Too kind! Do you have a project thread running on LAF? Great name, by the way.

Thanks - most of my threads start with "grandad and the boys ..." because the grandsons are my most opponents outside our Monday night club
Greek Myths http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=106775.0

or "Dedburgh" for Zombies http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112306.msg1404750#msg1404750

and Conan http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103754.msg1310346#msg1310346

Unfortunately my Middle Earth/Saxon/Arthurians were all lost in the Photobucket debacle.  I will be posting some more pictures soon as I am working on renovating my Saxons.

My name comes from many years ago when I was on an operational tour in Iraq - it was the account I set up to contact the family. The "dad" bit is obvious and the "Lamassu" was from Iraqi mythology.