Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:28:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fenrir's Middle Earth Labour of Love  (Read 24613 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Fenrir's Middle Earth Labour of Love
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »
This project is such an obvious labour of love it's a joy to read. I really like how far you've delved into the less well-known parts of Tolkien's lore. I would have enjoyed reading the Silmarillion and assorted tales a lot more had I had pics of your minis to go with!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
Not to derail the thread, but have you all heard of Amazon's plans to make a 5-seasons television series set in Middle-Earth - probably to tell some of those less exposed tales?  o_o

I enjoy everything Middle-Earth, as the Tolkien universe leaves so much open to interpretation and personal preferences when going about it, hobby-wise, and I love to see threads like this - especially with that 'dark-age' feel that I have always felt more appropriate for the setting than the grungy high-medieval style of the film trilogy.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 03:36:58 PM »
Great, thread one of my favorites. Your fun in collecting and painting your minis really shows.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 05:55:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Fenrir. I always thought the Otherworld wolves looked a bit friendly but seeing yours I might have to change my mind.

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 04:54:20 PM »
@Dadlamassu: Ah, Conan! That's another project I'd like to work on in the future, maybe using the GW Lord of the Rings rules...

@Knight-Captain Tyr and Commander Carnage: Many thanks for the kind words! Still plenty more to come! :)

@Argonor: Derail away! I'm cautiously looking forward to hearing more details about it- just hope it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray eventually, so I can actually watch it!
I enjoy seeing other people's takes on Middle Earth, anyway- I think that's one of it's strengths: everybody has their own interpretation, and so everybody adds their own layer to Tolkien's original stories!

@Ethelred the Unready: Yeah they are really nice 'big' wolves, without straying into 'monster' territory!

Meanwhile, I've made a start on my Isengard forces- here is my Uruk-Hai unit, with straight-edged swords and broad shields (bosses removed so I can paint the Hand of Saruman on more easily!). With thanks to Hobgoblin for all the advice- a true Loremaster of Middle Earth!

I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
I'm absolutely loving this project. Your vision of Middle Earth is pretty much exactly the same as mine. I'm doing Late Romans for Gondor and Arnor, Oathmark and GW orcs, and Sassanid-inspired Haradrim.

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »
Thanks very much, arget8- do you have a thread for your own Middle Earth project here on LAF? If so, I'd love to see it!

My Fords of Isen project is coming along nicely, with the Uruks in the photo above all painted along with some armoured 'Orc-Men' (Norse) with Dane axes, and some opposition for them in the form of a unit of Rohan warriors and a unit of Riders! For the Rohirrim I've gone for Goths with a few Saxon/Norse bits here and there (which I will also cheekily use as Goths in games of SAGA). I'm just waiting on some Irish and Picts, who will be my Dunlendings out for vengeance against the hated forgoil!

With Vapnartak fast approaching, I'm planning a few purchases for the next project- this will be Easterlings. In fact, I'm going to start a thread asking for advice on this when I'm done here...

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
This is a project similar in design to one of my own, planned but not begun.   :-* Beautiful figures.

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
It's a great time to game Middle Earth!  Love your project. I've been collaborating with Gunnar on the Dux Arda mod for Dux Britanniarum from Too Fat Lardies, working on the Dwarven Campaign Book now. I just laid out an order for Dark Ages Dwarves from Conqueror Models to build that faction. I have some Ancient Germanic tribesmen I'm going to turn into Dunlendings, and so on.

Anyone interested in playing Middle Earth with the Dux Britanniarum rules can see what we're up to over here:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=114239.0
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2019, 10:15:47 PM »
Thanks very much, arget8- do you have a thread for your own Middle Earth project here on LAF? If so, I'd love to see it!

My Fords of Isen project is coming along nicely, with the Uruks in the photo above all painted along with some armoured 'Orc-Men' (Norse) with Dane axes, and some opposition for them in the form of a unit of Rohan warriors and a unit of Riders! For the Rohirrim I've gone for Goths with a few Saxon/Norse bits here and there (which I will also cheekily use as Goths in games of SAGA). I'm just waiting on some Irish and Picts, who will be my Dunlendings out for vengeance against the hated forgoil!

With Vapnartak fast approaching, I'm planning a few purchases for the next project- this will be Easterlings. In fact, I'm going to start a thread asking for advice on this when I'm done here...

I'm of the same opinion on what to use for Rohan and the Dunlendings. The extra benefit is that they can serve double duty.

Here is the link to my project: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112658.0

It's a bit of a slow burn project, but it's in conjunction with my conversion of Dux Britanniarum to Middle Earth. If you want to take a look at that, check out the blog: https://wartoendallblogs.blogspot.com/

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2019, 03:36:40 AM »
Just lovely stuff.
I need a bear and more dwarves myself!

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »
It's very encouraging to see other folks with a similar vision of Middle Earth to myself, and some inspiring work too so thanks very much for the links!

Arget8 and SBMiniaturesGuy: I just bought Dux Britanniarum and The Raiders supplement- it seems very much my kind of game (and has got me re-reading The Winter King), so I'll be following your own ME projects with great interest!

I admit that work has slowed down a bit lately (anyone else find it really hard to get motivated to paint cavalry?) and I'm still grinding through 6 more riders and 12 infantry for my Rohirrim- then it's on to the Dunlendings (and yet more horses! Well, ponies at any rate...) before back to more Rohan and the end of the Fords of Isen project!

In the meantime, I have gathered together some Mongols for my Easterlings, and a mix of pre-and-post Mongol Russians to be my warriors of Dale- really looking forward to painting these fellows (and both forces will do nicely for Lion Rampant and Saga)!

In a desperate attempt to put off painting those riders I've also been looking even further into the future for this project and messing around with making a howdah for a Mumak (actually a plastic African elephant from Ebay) and thinking about which models might suit the Grey Company...

Tomorrow afternoon I'll actually be putting models on a table and rolling some dice, as the Royal Army of Arthedain takes on the Witch King's forces of Angmar, somewhere on the North Downs!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:07:34 PM by Fenrir »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
I just bought Dux Britanniarum and The Raiders supplement- it seems very much my kind of game (and has got me re-reading The Winter King)

now you've got my interest!  :)

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:32 AM »
Tomorrow afternoon I'll actually be putting models on a table and rolling some dice, as the Royal Army of Arthedain takes on the Witch King's forces of Angmar, somewhere on the North Downs!

I look forward to hearing about how the battle in the North Downs goes.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
Just found this thread and must congratulate on the clever mix of historical models to have a much better Tolkienesque flair than the official Peter Jackson-movie minis.

This is is many cases exactly how I had imagined Middle Earth. Chapeau, sir!