Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:05:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ECW Troop Formation  (Read 1098 times)

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
ECW Troop Formation
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »
Hello folks,

I'm putting together ECW cavalry troops in 6mm and wanted to ask if anyone had any information on how an ECW troop formed up for battle?

For example, where did the captain, trumpeters and cornets place themselves, how many ranks etc?

Many thanks in advance

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: ECW Troop Formation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
Hi

The problem (ie one of the bars that make it interesting!) with the ECW is that there was no consistent way of doing things. There were various drill books and “methods” but each unit commander was often left to their own devices. That’s a long winded way of saying there is no “right” answer to your question. That said, the Osprey Elite on Pike and Shot Tactics by Keith Roberts is one of their better books and a pretty good starting place.

Looking at the Streeter Map of Naseby (published by Sprigge) I have my troops (28mm) based with a Cornet at the centre with a separate Officer and Trumpeter outside the formation (hindsight fortunately shows this in Snayers in the contemporary TYW....phew!) but, ultimately, they are your “toys” so you base them however you feel is right for you. It’ll be difficult for anyone to tell you you’re wrong!

Hope that’s of some help. I’m interested in reading others’ opinions as they come in in this thread!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 12:58:22 AM »
 Interestingly, an illustration from Cruso's  Militarie Instructions for Cavallerie show musicians detached from the main body and off to the side (another illustration shows them in front of the horse,  same with the captain (generally front and centre). So, as Sparrow says- what ever you like as it was probably done. :D

Offline TheMarquis

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies, exactly the kind of things I wanted to know.