Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SF Armor  (Read 1397 times)

Offline AllenW

• Student
SF Armor
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:01:02 AM »
The modern MBT bears little resemblance to the tanks fielded in World War I. Our SF armor however looks a lot like modern armor. Aside from the flying (grav) tank concepts how could SF armor be as different looking from modern armor as modern armor is to the tanks of World War I??
Does anyone make other SF such vehicles or have ideas for such?
As an example in my 3mm games I plan to field a force of armor using this:

https://i1.imged.com/mongoose-babylon-5-call-to-arms-minbari-mini-morshin-carrier-pack-mint-19176228.jpg

I have clipped the small tail off and mounted them on shorter stands.

Online Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: SF Armor
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »
Mostly drones and AI operated vehicles, I would expect. Lots of stealth styling and active camouflage.

As for the designs changing... tanks have evolved with advancements in technology. Yet, they are still tanks (tracked, armoured vehicles, carrying a gun).

I would imagine that tanks could be flatter if there were no crew, engines would get smaller, weapons would not need so much stowage area for rounds (especially rail-guns and laser weapons)... but tracks work nicely so I imagine they would still hang around... that and multiple wheeled vehicles. The K.I.S.S. designs with wheels and tracks would still be king... with anti-grav being more expensive and unreliable.

Don't forget walkers :o :D!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:37 PM »
The background (but not the sculpts) for Antares describes field based protection rather than physical protection.

Walkers have ground pressure issues.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »
I think if you'd asked this same question 5, even 3 years ago, people would have said "smooth tanks with energy fields."
Now it's most likely going to be sleek drones and autonomous mobile weapon platforms fighting against ramshackle skips mounted on tractor tracks and mobs of rebels armed with rocks and rubble.

If you're going FAR future you may aswell just go with whatever you think looks cool, It seems actual military technology advances at such an extreme and asymmetrical rate that it's impossible to say with any certainty what's going to happen.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:00:20 AM »
Here's a decent link to get you started with numerous images of Advanced, Sci-Fi Tanks, IFVs, and Support Vehicles - mainly Grav Armor:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=631&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=hMTaWufgMZS4jAOEpK-wAw&q=Topgun+grav+tank&oq=Topgun+grav+tank&gs_l=psy-ab.3...25283.25880.0.26380.4.4.0.0.0.0.108.379.2j2.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.uXtNL5LQi7E

As you can see, there are other, lower tech models, with antique, grav-repulsor pods on the sides, or below the vehicles as well, on some models too.  Those were more vulnerable to damage from enemy fire.

Enjoy!

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
I’ve come to quite like this thing  as a Near Future/Aliens style retro future Armoured vehicle:-

Quick CGI vid:-

Not a million miles away from some of the things Ground Zero Games sells in 15mm

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »
Or Antenocitis in 15mm and 28mm.