Forum > Workbench

Will these sci-fi heads cast ok?

(1/1)

1000foot:
Hi LAF. I've been messing around with Zbrush in an attempt to create some 3D sculpts to turn into a small run of resin (or possibly metal) heads for some personal conversion projects.

I'm at the point where I'd like to print the masters to create two part molds and cast them in resin at home, but realizing I don't know a ton about actually casting them. Can you take a look? Are there issues I need to resolve before printing? I'd like to avoid the moldline going down the center of the face, but I think my undercuts might make that impossible. I could use any advice you might have. Thanks in advance!

zemjw:
How many do you think you'll need, as it may be just as cheap to get them all printed.

I commented on your blog post earlier today regarding using sprues. To follow that up, have a read through the frosted ultra detail page on Shapeways - https://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail-plastic.

The bounding box is the major factor in the cost, and there is a page somewhere that shows the calculations they use (I thought it was that page, but don't see it)

I have never had any success with my own casting, so I'm curious to see what people suggest, and whether it is cost effective for small runs.

1000foot:
saw your comment on my blog zemjw, which was VERY helpful. I hadn't considered just 3D printing everything I'd need. The individual heads were coming in at 3.50 each in Frosted Ultra Detail. I need four copies of each visor head, and 20 copies of the mask/helmet. (40 total heads x 3.50 is getting a bit pricey). I was hoping to get it down to about a 1.00 each, which I thought home casting in resin might do.

I'll modify the sprue and upload to Shapeways, but wanted to get some input on considerations I have to make in the sculpt/positioning. If the numbers don't work out I might see if I can get them cast in metal by a pro. The cost increase might be worth it to skip the hassle of home casting.

Thanks so much for your continued feedback, it's been a big help.

beefcake:
You'll probably spend a fair amount on silicone and resin. Also without a pressure pot or some experience with mold making you risk getting bubbles in the mold causing bubbles in each cast. Gravity casting can be tricky with such small pieces without experience as well. Best results will be to get them all printed or going pro as you said.
Very nice sculpt by the way.
You could even try to sell the rights to someone, get paid for it and get copies for free.

1000foot:
I was about to throw in the towel after being unable to get my price per head down to something reasonable when I realized an error in a calculation. zemjw, it looks like adding heads to a sprue cuts costs significantly where 3D printing becomes very attractive!

Off to 3D print a whole mess o' heads! Thanks guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version