Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Leviathans: The Great War (Kickstarter)  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Leviathans: The Great War (Kickstarter)
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:35:18 PM »
This went under the radar.

A new kickstarter by Catalyst Games based on Leviathans.

At this moment only 4 days left.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cgl/leviathans-the-great-war

Miniatures are pre-painted.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
Re: Leviathans: The Great War (Kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 10:58:58 PM »
I backed day 1 and have been following the campaign, but I did not realize no one had posted on Leviathans here, thank you for putting this up!

Catalyst looks like they learned all of the right lessons from the BattleTech Clan Invasion Kickstarter and they put some of their plans beyond the fulfillment for building out the line on an AMA last month...

https://monstersinthesky.com/index.php/2022/07/21/leviathans-ama/

...I do not think we will we get to ship construction rules as a part of this campaign, but it seems like they are committed to long term support, just at a more conservative level than the BattleTech relaunch.

**The forum flags Battletech if you don't capitalize the T correctly. :)
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 01:45:29 AM »
I came really close to buying the original Leviathans game.

These models (like the guns and masts) seem a lot more sturdy to me, or perhaps my mind is playing games on me.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 05:37:43 AM »
I was interested in the original back in 2012, but never went for it at the time. I will probably wait until this is available at retail before I reconsider it.

I have seen this KS advertised on Facebook quite a bit over the past few weeks, with a surprisingly high number of "angry face" emoji reactions accompanying each one, which I thought was odd. Is there something controversial about this?
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 12:31:32 PM »

I have seen this KS advertised on Facebook quite a bit over the past few weeks, with a surprisingly high number of "angry face" emoji reactions accompanying each one, which I thought was odd. Is there something controversial about this?

Given some of the comments amongst the backers and on the Leviathans Discord channel, I get the impression that there has been considerable confusion about what exactly one receives for each pledge tier. Also, the decision to launch the KS at the same time that the Catalyst team were setting up and spruiking their wares at Gencon was not appreciated. It left the KS with no official responses or direct support during the first, critical days. I certainly thought that was an odd strategy, but was more concerned about how newcomers to Leviathans might perceive this.

A lack of 'how to play' videos right at the kick-off also put off some folks. Again, it almost felt like Catalyst were catering exclusively to old hands like me, who already have 3 copies of the original game. There were also some cranky grognards, who missed out on the very limited higher tiers because they were all snapped up on day 1.  It all led to some reluctance to commit, and much gnashing of teeth.

Having said that, the KS funded on the first day, and is now just shy of US$400k, so I'd encourage anyone with a mind for flying ships to jump on. Leviathans is a fun game, essentially BattleTech with battleships, but without the need to fill in all those pesky armour dots!
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 10:29:35 PM »
I have two copies of the original I picked up $50 Aussie each, also a couple of fleet packs when they were being dumped cheap by retailers, great models! I’m looking forward to seeing how the updated rules play, if they’re good I’m ready to go!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 02:03:18 PM »
I have two copies of the original I picked up $50 Aussie each, also a couple of fleet packs when they were being dumped cheap by retailers, great models! I’m looking forward to seeing how the updated rules play, if they’re good I’m ready to go!

SIR:

Her Majesty's Skyfleet issues a challenge, sincerely expressed, that we should meet in combat in the azure skies of Southern Australia, at a place and time of your preference.

(Although if I was in any degree sensible, I would issue said challenge as the French, but I have yet to repaint my aviateurs! Sacre! )

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 09:27:46 PM »
A Leviathan session can certainly be arranged, I’ll PM you…