Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Rebellion  (Read 4245 times)

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline worrywort

• Librarian
Re: Boxer Rebellion
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 06:41:15 AM »
I like them.

Great job !

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »
Yes, like the additional photos.

A couple questions for you, ragbones:  Did you do any research on roof colors or just go with what looked good?  Also, did you include much in the way of Chinese artillery and was there any research behind doing so?  As best you can remember, anyway - twenty years ago is a bit far back in the mists of my memory, that's for sure.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 01:41:40 AM »
Yes, I conducted quite a bit of research using primary and secondary sources as well as picking the brains of a couple colleagues stationed at the Beijing Embassy. The colors I chose were a combination of what little documentary evidence on colors existed as well as personal preference.
The use of artillery by the Chinese against the Legations is an interesting subject. From what I recall, the besiegers initially deployed several older-style cannon (ie. muzzle loaders) against the Legations but modern Krupp’s or Krupp-style breech loaders were used later when the Muslim Gansu (Kansu) Army was introduced. Some of this reflected the back-and-forth dynamic at the Imperial Court as different factions fought for control and influence. Some Chinese artillery was used in a direct fire role while other was deployed in an indirect, general bombardment role. It was interesting to see that underground ‘bomb shelters’ were constructed by the defenders. The Chinese also used incendiary rockets against the Legations.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
ragbones, Would you be so kind as to identify the legations by roof color (more or less).  One of your images showing your overall table with the Tartar wall closest to the camera suggests the following: on the left US, Russian, British, pretty straight forward; however, on the right, is it Germany, Japan, France or some other order.  You made a comment about the Su/Fu Palace so I'm wondering if that is the dark blue roof (since it appears identical to what I believe is the British legation.  A curious mind wants to know.  And thanks for you last reply, appreciated.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 01:31:03 AM »
FifteensAway, you’re correct about the configuration of the Legations on the left hand side of the photograph. The other Legation in question was German. The buildings behind the German Legation were meant to represent generally some of the commercial buildings in the area.
While putting together my game, several dear friends gave to me a painted OG British Legation. Each of them painted a different building or the perimeter walls. It was exceedingly generous and kind and I used every time I set up Peking. I consider it one of my most prized possessions because it came from them. I had originally planned on making a Fu (Su) Palace but when they gave me the Legation I decided to simply set it up in a slightly different configuration to represent the Fu. By that time I had painted all the other buildings you see in the photos (plus others not shown; I had decided to downsize the game), helped scratch build the Tatar Wall and other ancillary Chinese buildings, and paint over a thousand 25mm figures. I just wanted to roll dice and play.  :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 11:29:36 PM »
So nice
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »
Great set up,I’ve loved following this project