Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The world's biggest little army  (Read 1707 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
The world's biggest little army
« on: April 20, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
The idiot auctioners are estimating £10k for 250k mini's or 4p a figure... ebay might have made more sense.

via: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5633631/Military-toy-collection-250-000-figures-sold-10-000-owner-died.html

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The world's biggest little army
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »
the silly thing is, these aren't even wargaming miniatures! most of these seem to be britains toy soldiers which have a solid collector base that regularly pay most then any wargamer does for a single figure or regiment.

I suppose the issue they have is choosing between selling it in one lump sum, in which case they'll make it cheap in order to try and shift it quick , Or break up the collection and probably make more in the long run, but invest alot more time energy and space in doing so.
To the auctioneer the ideal scenario is probably for one person to just flat out buy this without any drama and collect it promptly.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
The same 2 day sale these will be up for also includes several thousand copies of 2000AD, Marvel and other comics dating back to the 1960s as well as almost countless boxes of "warhammer" metal and plastic figures.

Real treasure trove for anyone nearby. Unlike the true collectable Hornby, Corgi etc stuff none of the gaming lots seem to have reserves.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »
It does make our levels of hoarding look restrained and sane in comparison, doesn't it...  :?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
The same 2 day sale these will be up for also includes several thousand copies of 2000AD, Marvel and other comics dating back to the 1960s as well as almost countless boxes of "warhammer" metal and plastic figures.

Real treasure trove for anyone nearby. Unlike the true collectable Hornby, Corgi etc stuff none of the gaming lots seem to have reserves.

Is there a link to the auction?

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 06:24:35 PM »
It does make our levels of hoarding look restrained and sane in comparison, doesn't it...  :?

May I present to you...

Is there a link to the auction?

... the first person among us who's planning to buy all that.  :D

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »
It is a bit sad that he  is gone and no longer able to enjoy his passion, any age is too young, and well done him having the space for it to!

Actually - I am more interested in the garage space...just thinking what I could fill it with.

Oh and linky

http://wessexauctionrooms.co.uk/

Links to their current auction can be found via main website link.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 11:19:31 PM »

I'm hanging on to that thought, yes...