Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars Skirmish Rules?  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Star Wars Skirmish Rules?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 02:17:51 PM »
The Brent Spivey game 'Rogue Planet 'seems like it would be good for star wars skirmishes. Particularly if Jedis were involved 

Offline Burma44

• Librarian
    • STAR BREACH
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will check them out.

I forgot about FUBAR, and that looks like a decent option, for quick, fun games.  Some of the others too, and free is always an attractive option, price-wise.

One of the websites I ran across even has cards for use with SW, though sadly, no Sand Troopers.  Easy enough to come up with, I suspect, and the suggestion on the site for them is they activate on a 3+ (like for Imperial Scouts too), as opposed to a 4+ for regular Storm Troopers, and 5+ for Rebel Troops.  Makes sense.

Will need to think up some other attributes/skills for them too, which might be useful, to make them hardened veterans.  Perhaps add on a few special skills for each trooper, for small games, for more RPG-like scenarios, with just a few Imperials searching for Rebel Spies and Subversives - shouldn't be too hard to do, and to keep track of, for a squad or two of troops, patrolling the back alleys of Mos Eisley, or Anchor Head.

Happy to see everyone coming along with suggestions for you! For what you're mentioning and looking for, Starfall may still be the most satisfying pick long-term (https://starfalltt.com). Lot and lots of customization options per troop type, with warband rules for nearly any sci-fi faction imaginable (including GE, Rebs, Jedi, Sith, heck, even Tusken Raiders!). Scenarios. Campaign rules coming in May. I'm of course bias, but you've got nothing to lose in checking it out, as the rule set and all supplements are free to download and use. Whatever you go with, enjoy!  :)
Creator of Star Breach and NCO Tabletop Games: starbreach.com

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
"Five Parsecs From Home", and the "Every Star an Opportunity" rules are exactly what you're asking for.
Skirmish gaming, with integrated campaign rules that specifically allow the design of a continuing location. 
  There's even a section that does what you're asking for, generate a locale, the major and minor players in the area, and an even chart that changes those groups influence and size as the campaign goes on.

For me, I use the campaign sections but not the game rules themselves. 

I would definitely say Anchorhead is the right place.  It's likely very similar, so it will be familiar, but doesn't have much fluff development for you to collide with.
- Scott

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
Hi, I'm the guy who created all the stats for that Fubar variant. Another more talented gent created those great looking cards. 3+ for activation is pretty strong. If you only have a specialized unit or 2 that might work. If the Empire has several of them and has more troops it'll be a tough day for the Rebellion. Fubar uses the activation of the unit l;eader. So you could have specialized Sand troopers as squad leaders instead of units of them. I'm not sure how often there were units of them.

I am actually thinking about tweaking some things with Fubar to improve it. I am playing around with the activation too. Currently, I use the 2 action activation (if successful, 1 if not). It is far superior to the failure meaning units can only go On guard. That can make for a unsatisfactory game when having lots of poor troops.

Thanks!

John

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will check them out.

I forgot about FUBAR, and that looks like a decent option, for quick, fun games.  Some of the others too, and free is always an attractive option, price-wise.

One of the websites I ran across even has cards for use with SW, though sadly, no Sand Troopers.  Easy enough to come up with, I suspect, and the suggestion on the site for them is they activate on a 3+ (like for Imperial Scouts too), as opposed to a 4+ for regular Storm Troopers, and 5+ for Rebel Troops.  Makes sense.

Will need to think up some other attributes/skills for them too, which might be useful, to make them hardened veterans.  Perhaps add on a few special skills for each trooper, for small games, for more RPG-like scenarios, with just a few Imperials searching for Rebel Spies and Subversives - shouldn't be too hard to do, and to keep track of, for a squad or two of troops, patrolling the back alleys of Mos Eisley, or Anchor Head.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:42:40 PM by johnl5555 »
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with Rogue Stars, Rogue Trader, Rogue Planet, and Necromunda, so will need to check them out.  Five Parsecs and "Every Star......" sound intriguing as well.

I do have the old, WEG, SW Miniatures Battles tucked safely away somewhere.

FUBAR and Starfall look interesting, as does Dr. De'ath's rules too.

Yea, I can see where the Empire would be tough to go up against, which is as it should be, I suspect.  Miniature teddy bears defeating them easily never really sat well with me, and they really should be the "crack shots" that Obi Wan talked about in the first movie, instead of the "Three Stooges"/Keystone Cops type of military force portrayed in much of the series.

The Rebels and others will just have to pick their skirmishes/battles very wisely, in order to defeat them, and/or avoid them whenever they can.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 07:40:46 PM »
Another vote for Blasters and Bulkheads, though I've stuck with 1st edition.  Void Pirates is from the same designer and could be better for really small skirmishes focused on a band of heroes; B&B is more of a platoon-scale game.

Chris

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:35 PM »
How many more cards are there?  ??? I think I would be interested in seeing them  :D

There are 2 more pages, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send them on to you.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »
What's the difference between B&B1 and B&B2?

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
I never picked up v2 but I believe it was an attempt to generalise the SF in it.

The first version wears its Star Wars heart on its Jedi robed sleeves, even slightly misquoting the movie in side panels and having a mysterious and slightly renamed "force" involved.

Offline clandaith

• Bookworm
    • The Fat Old Gamer
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
My group and I were always looking for the right sci-fi skirmish game.  We bounced around with various systems and finally found the Rogue Stars gem.  It really is a great system.  You can create whatever you want in that system.  We've played with Star Wars figures and they work great.