Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Musings on Sarissa's Gangs of Rome buildings.  (Read 1962 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Musings on Sarissa's Gangs of Rome buildings.
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:38:29 PM »
This isn't intended as a review,more my observations whilst constructing these two kits(a few more to make and add if people wish.)

Although they're Roman buildings these have been painted to match more with my existing builds and are interested for a Pulp game.So historical accurate they ain't.

The temple kit is quite a well thought out kit .The majority of the joints are hidden by the detailing on the building. So I didn't bother filling gaps and joints because they simply weren't that intrusive . In fact the only modifications I made were ,a light sanding to the edges of the columns just to soften the profile,and of course the roof tiles.
Other than that it's a straight out of the box build.It's such a simple kit to put together. I made this on sat on the sofa half watching the telly.
Only niggles,(minor at that.)being. The columns can be fiddly.Much easier if you build then glue. The gap at the Apex of the roof is another. But there's plenty of scrap mdf on the frames,to fill the gap. Finally there's a gap between the top step and the plinth.
In short I'm pleasantly surprised,as I've found Sarissa to be quite hit and miss over the last couple of years.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Musings on Sarissa's Gangs of Rome buildings.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:14:30 PM »
And I spoke too soon.

This on the other hand feels rushed and laced with poor design.

Most obvious one,which left me feeling kind of cheated.Is the balcony. Which has been devided into four smaller balconies. Each has only a window and no visible means of accessing these areas.
Okay not that big for some. Except both the cover illustration has two doors(still not enough for four balconies) Okay artistic licence. The instructions then show you how to construct the first floor with the two doors,including the door surrounds. So you go rooting through the pieces looking for the front with the two doors ,and you realize its not missing because the grey board net for the doors and windows surrounds have no additional door frames but four window frames.
The detailing for the arch supports on the front of the build are constructed from three U shaped pieces. These are so ill fitting and loose that I actually went back to see if I'd missed a fourth section of each one as the gap was nearly big enough to fit another piece in.
The roof has virtually no strength to it consisting of a single sheet of grey board bent over the mdf ribs. The strength has been provided by the detailing nothing else.

I dislike the new peg system being used to join levels together. As they've spent time representing horizontal beams only to break this detailing with two ninety degree cuts close together.totally destroying the effect of horizontal beams. Which only stop the top level from being knocked off in on direction.I'm afraid I don't see the logic .with the way the walls attached to the floor you can easily positon a block made from a window cut out to act as a peg ,which would keep the first floor square .Old fashioned may be but simple and effective.

In short no where near as nice a kit as the temple ,and in comparison to the complexity its actually harder to build.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
Really useful, thanks. I'm considering jumping into Gangs of Rome but wasnt surr about the Sarissa terrain...I might investigate wargames stuff.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
Very lovely Building. Would you mind sharing a bit of your tecnic with us. I have nevere really mastered the weathering and texturing of MDF Building and yours look splendid.

Cheers
Erik

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
I'd definitely say the range is worth looking into. I've a couple more buildings to make. But having made these two I'm a little more cautious with regards to their construction. Rather than just opening a bag and going for it.I'll plan for them to need a little more preparation before painting.(and probably building on a table.).
War base Roman range is currently more provincial and less urban. I'd recommend them . Personally I've been toying with the idea of a city wall/fort. The War base walls have the bulk and depth of a more realistic wall,and gate.But the Sarissa have the better detailing and an additional length of wall with a tower mid way .(which I quite like.) rather than just a corner tower That said there's no depth to the battlements at all.

Erik,
There's beggar all to this method. It's a textured paint in a spray can.Then a couple of colours stippled over the surface.

It also works without a textured paint. Base colour of earth brown.Then a random stippling of pale flesh. You just have a little neat paint on the brush, and randomly dab until the brush is virtually clean. Then a 50/50 mix of pale flesh and white. Only apply in small areas not covering the whole area painted in pale flesh. You should leave some earth brown visible. Last stage is a thinned paint(not a wash) either leather brown or khaki. Use as a shade,and wipe of any excess,and add the odd patch on the walls. Then a dark grey thinned and dabbed in a couple of places.(picture sort of explains)
As a result of my pulp thread there is a tutorial on the roofing.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:34:31 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »
Thank you fore the tips. I will defenitly give it a try. Texture in a spay sound great. I hope they sell it in Denmark.

Erik