Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Optic help  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Optic help
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:13 PM »
Only 34 years old, I realize that I've started to lose eyesight when looking at things close (presbyopia). This makes it really hard to paint my 15mm miniatures.

Others here must have met the same problem. How have you handled it? Magnifying glasses? Prescription glasses? I can focus at shortest 20-25 cm, but usually paint at 15 cm distance.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
Re: Optic help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »
To paint 15 mm I use one of these from Aldi which I bought in 2009:

and a pair of cheap reading glasses.  You may only need to use one of these as you're quite a bit younger than I am.  ;)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 05:55:57 AM »
I've started using a cheap optivisor with integrated led lamp a few years ago when I was encountering the same problems than you. I feel like 20 again, at least as far as miniature painting is concerned.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:25:57 AM »
I have tried various things.

I bought an Optivisor but found it quite heavy.
Then I realised that cheap reading glasses do the same magnification as the Optivisor and are much more comfortable.
I have reading glasses with number 2 or 2.5 for painting.
However, if you already wear prescription glasses, the Optivisor is probably a very good solution.

I have a Standard anglepoise lamp - I changed the bulb for a cold LED bulb.
That made a big difference - much better general light on the painting desk.

Then I bought an Anglepoise which has a magnifying lens in a ring of LEDs. Like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076PRJ2YT/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1
This is amazing.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:30:20 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

I think I will invest in a pair of reading glasses, to begin with!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:16:59 PM »
Hello again my friend,
When I got my new prescription glasses , I realised how much detail i was missing.
Having said that, sometimes it gets difficult to focus also, especially since i have been doing 15mm mostly, these past years. I'm going to get me a head loupe magnifier also.... about time I think  :D :D ;)

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
I found that adding a pair of large cheap reading glasses over my prescription glasses is great for painting. Really brings the focal distance in, which is just what is needed for painting.

I would suggest going to the opticians just to get your eyes checked out, and to see if its simple short sightedness, or something more complex like astigmatism.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 12:38:11 PM »
Thanks again, everyone that answers!

I've got really bad eyesight, which I correct with contact lenses (about -9.00 diopters), so I know about bad eyesight. Before I could look at anything really, really close to get a good look, but now I can't. Will get reading glasses, with the hope to be able to countinue paint.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
Not sure if this applies to your age but as we get older we need more light so pore the light on and see if that helps, too.  Like the idea of cold light.  Right now I have two small fluorescents and one 'spot' light but the spot gets too warm and can dry paint too fast, not on the figure, on the palette.  The warm light does help when trying to get a figure done sooner - just hold it up to the light to dry faster. 

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:11:20 PM »
@FifteensAway,

When I mentioned "cold light", I meant the colour i.e. cold like daylight rather than warm light like a candle.
When you buy LED bulbs, they are available in pure white (cold) or a slightly yellow tone (warm).

LEDs give off much less heat than incandescent or halogen bulbs so they are also cold in heat output.

Regards

Mick

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Hey dude,

What a pain! I know a little about this, I worked in optics for quite a few years.

Part of the reason you're noticing this 'young' is that 15c is a pretty short working distance - so you're pushing your accommodation to it's limit. Normally I'd suggest having a chat with a friendly optician and having a specific pair of miniature painting glasses made up (take on in, show them the working distance), but at what will end up being ~ -8.25 that might not be the cheapest option. Though basic CR39 (i.e. thick) lenses should be available up to about a -10.00 as long as you haven't also got a high astigmatism (the CYL portion of prescription?).

There is a correlation between available light and focus though, so you might find that improving your workspace's available light will help a lot. Even assuming fairly early onset of presbyopia, more light should help you for now. Ikea do some very cheap calmp lamps called 'Tertial' that you can upgrade to a higher Lumen e27 bulb - I've seen 1000 Lumen e27's, so two of those would give you some very bright light.

Another thought - Do you wear your contact lenses to paint? In lots of cases a higher prescription contact lens will be a balance between quality of vision and available product, so might not be quite as fine tuned as your glasses prescription (do your glasses look sharper than your CL's?). If you wear your glasses, and pull them down your nose a little, that'll knock about -0.50 off for you, which might be enough to help for now.

Good luck!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »
Hey dude,

What a pain! I know a little about this, I worked in optics for quite a few years.

[LOADS OF GOOD TIPS]

Good luck!

Wow, those were some good tips!

I've got to admit that I might be working slightly further away than 15 cm, but it's still close. My normal glasses are a bit heavy and slides down my nose, making painting minis really hard.
But my main problem with painting with glasses is that since my eyesight is so poor, the glasses makes everything I look at 20-25% smaller. When parking your car, that only makes one nervous, but when painting minis it makes it almost impossible. So any mini painting will be with contacts.
Bought myself reading glasses today, tested in store and found +2.50 working well. They cost £6, so it's no great loss if it doesn't work out.

Thanks once again everyone, and special thanks to Jagannath!

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 04:49:36 AM »
I have a similar problem, I have progressive bi-focal's but still could not focus on the mini's close when I painted. When I got my new set of glasses I asked for my prescription from the eye Dr. I went to one of the cheap internet eye class sites, and ordered a set of lined bifocals, but I had my close prescription made in the normal glasses and then had 2.5 added to the lower part of this pair. So its like wearing my normal glasses looking through the lower part and then adding reading glasses to that. Its the best $70.00 I have spent. I can see everything on the bench and painting is a joy again. In fact I have had a 2nd pair made for when I am working on small stuff in the shop also. I could have gone with tri-focal's but I was told it would not work the same as the 3rd power is a very small area. Might want to give it a try and see how it works for you.

Dale

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 01:50:52 AM »
Mick, thanks for the clarification but maybe my info about actual heat temperature might help someone.  Definitely more light helps as we get older. 

Light and temperature and color is one heck of a 'science' to get into and understand.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:47 PM »
These ain't cheap, but when I started painting Flames of War a few years back I struggled painting such small figures. I now use it with my 28mm figures. Easier on the eyes and has improved the standard of my painting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mag-Eyes-MagEyes-Magnifier-Lenses/dp/B000WUY8NS

I've never regretted the purchase.