Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fire and fury brigade or regimental?  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
Fire and fury brigade or regimental?
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »
I've recently been gifted about 1500 15mm ACW figures from a variety of manufacturers by a friend who is determined to pull me into yet another area of wargaming. I've played a couple ofgames of F&Fwith him which I enjoyed, but my question to the great and good out there is should I go for Regimental F&F or Bde F&F?
I believe we played the Regimental version, so have no idea of the Bde. Version.

Now just have to start painting and basing the little fellas............
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: Fire and fury brigade or regimental?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:08:23 AM »
I’d ditto that advice, you can do both easily. It’s possibly the best set of rules ever for simplicity and accuracy and there’s a lot of resources on the web for suitable scenarios.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
I prefer the Brigade level rules. as well as being simpler, you can do big battles with them.
I think there are better rules at the regimental level (Longstreet, They Couldn't Hit an Elephant)
However, the basing is compatible between the two (although a single brigade level base with 4 figures counts as 2 bases in the regimental version)
So, assuming you have 15mm figures, put them 3 or 4 figures to a 1" wide base and you are in business. (4 figs looks better, 3 gives you more bang for your buck)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »
As has been said the base sizes for both are the same now that the Brigade F&F rewrite is out. Point about the artillery, in Brigade you still have, I think, about seven different artillery types that your battery can consist of.
Have only played at the brigade level so far and they are great rules in my opinion.

Tony.

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »
Gentlemen, thank youfor your replies and advice. I'll start painting  and basing now and hopefully by the end of summer will have enough of one side done to issue a challenge. From your advice, I'll go for the brigade version to start and see how I get on, follow it with regimental if I get hooked. Damn, more books to buy for more research!! The fun never stops  :)

Offline dallascowboy43

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
If you base some with 3 figures at the front of a base and some with 3 figures at the back they can give the impression of a regiment or a succession of lines for the brigade rules as per this scrappy photo.
Clive
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:57:58 PM by dallascowboy43 »

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
I like that idea, thanks Clive

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »
Not quite what you asked, but F&F basing will also work for Bloody Big Battles. BBB is faster and simpler than F&F though of similar style. The troop representation ratio is flexible, with basic units sometimes being brigades, often divisions and sometimes small corps. The Shiloh scenario fits on a 4 X 3 foot table and takes 9 turns, perhaps three hours for the first day. We played the 3 days of Gettysburg in two sessions on a 4 X 6 foot table. Some folks play faster than we do. Both days of the Wilderness take an evening.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
Yes,  BBB is very good for ACW. I no longer play F+F because of it.
However F+F Brigade is an excellent game (not played the very latest version however) and the few games of F+F Regimental I had were good but I did not really get into it (works well for Mexico though).
Give them all a go, the basing will work.

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »
F&F 2nd edition is much better than the 1st. It is more bloody, with musketry actually doing something.
We found Regimental F&F slow.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »
Ive read that in F&F you should make some casualty markers, low ammo, etc  That's a bonus for me. I'm not a fan of chits and plastic markers cluttering the table.   
Anyone have any pictures of counters they made for F&F ?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:40 AM »
Last weekend I played my first two games of the new Brigade F&F, having played the original rules a fair bit over the years.  We thought that they were a definite refinement of a good set of rules. 

My markers for 28mm F&F: (You could print and stick to card for interim use)

Disordered Markers (40mm bases):

Disordered Cavalry, Damaged battery & low on ammo:

Low on ammo:

Low on ammo:

All Redoubt miniatures, apart from the dead horses and battlefield detritus from 1st Corps.

Old school (Gilder-esque) basing to match existing armies.

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 01:15:39 AM »
Overlord. Thank you. Very nice.  Have any battle reports? I'd like to see how the game flows.  Thanks again.

One thing that makes me hesitate about F&F, I read that someone played a 4 hour game, and they still couldn't see a distinct winner. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:42:41 AM by Bloodaxe »

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »

One thing that makes me hesitate about F&F, I read that someone played a 4 hour game, and they still couldn't see a distinct winner.

There are a lot of possible variables in that statement (how big was the game, was it their first, how much were they drinking between moves).  My crew used to play 3-4 hour games and I can’t recall any featureless draws, indeed I’ve managed to lose games in the first hour due to my opponents vigorous use of the Confederate charge bonus.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »
Levied Troop -:OK than you .