Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:02:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First game of What a Tanker.  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
First game of What a Tanker.
« on: April 23, 2018, 05:10:34 AM »
Unable to wait for the hard copy we used the pdf and had at it

2 Sherman's and an M-10 took on 1 Pzr III a Pzr IV and a Stug IIIG

The Pzr IV occupied the cross roads while the Pzr III and Stug went round the flanks.

The Sherman's went into the middle of the BUA  and took on the Panzer IV.

The M-10 took an ambush  position in the woods but was out flanked by the Stug and withdrew .

The Panzer IV survived several hits and bits and pieces flew off it.

It missed the Shermans but the Panzer III sneaked up to a hill position and did 3 turns of shoot and scoot over the crest to take potshots at the leading Sherman - damaging it  but failing to set it on fire - Tommy cooker not - at lease not with a piddly 50mm shell!

The Stug hit the same Sherman bringing the damage to nearly critical and severely impacting its mobility but again failed to kill it.

Meanwhile the M-10 sneaked up on the flank of the Stug with a fantastic die roll allowing it to move acquire, aim and shoot it in the flank - brewing it up.

So now we had 2 wounded tanks - 1 Sherman and 1 Panzer IV limping home at 2-3" per phase both under the enemy guns.

Again the Panzer III hits the Sherman failing to brew it but the M-10 hits the Panzer IV up the rear with a long shot over terrain and nails it.

The Panzer III decides not to push its luck and withdraw from the table at this point.

Cracking game lots of tension some good and crappy die rolling as normal but then you usually have a few choices to make no matter what the die rolls.

Game took about 90min but with practice I reckon 3 tanks per side should take 60 min.

Good fun

Cheers
TT

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: First game of What a Tanker.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:40:37 AM »
Great report, I have the rules but I’m yet to play, yet I think I’ve seen enough so far to think these should make for short, enjoyable games for a group.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:57:59 AM »
Sounds like a good game :)

I've been looking for something that feels a bit like World of Tanks, could this game be it?

Offline braxenk

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »
thanks for report, we will have a go at it.

What scale did you use? We are planning to do it in 15mm

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
We used 15mm tanks and replaced the turrets with the ones with commanders in to show unbuttoned  as we have lots of tanks from when we used to play FoW.

I thought on a 6x4' table 15mm would look better.

Later we will do 28mm scale on 8x6' table.

One mod we made was to use numbered counters instead of dicing to decide order of movement. With only 2 players and 6 ta ks it gave a bit more fog of war.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:16:50 AM »
We played for the first time yesterday. A Normandy game with a Panzer IV and a Hetzer against a Cromwell and an Achilles.
All 20mm vehicles from my copious stock.
So we got to see the effect of fast vehicles (everyone except the Pz IV), small vehicles (the Hetzer), Tank Destroyers (Hetzer and Achilles) and open top (Achilles).
Good fun, took about 90 minutes with the Cromwell's crew abandoning the vehicle and the Achilles brewed up.
This game will be an excellent excuse to put things like the Elefant or JagdTiger on the table!

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:30:25 AM »
Yes, but better!

I introduced my non ww2 gaming buddy to it on Wednesday evening. e had a hoot and I think I've converted him.

Sounds like a good game :)

I've been looking for something that feels a bit like World of Tanks, could this game be it?

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
Lovely table! Who makes the buildings?

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:57:40 AM »
Thanks the church is old Crescent Root and the other buildings are made by hand from artists card by Mario  in Portugal  or Spain - he has a blog somewhere - on Orange

Offline Smoking gun

• Student
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
We have played a couple of games of What A Tanker using two tanks per player, we have found it difficult to keep track of which tank has acquired which tank when multiple targets are available. We have decided to use coloured counters (tiddly winks) to help keep track of this.

We have enjoyed the games we've played and intend to play a four or five player this evening sent in France 1940, the well armoured French tanks do set a challenge to the Germans.

Martin

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 04:03:36 PM »
I know I was that tanker!Yes the Germans struggled against the Char B’s

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:04:28 AM »
We have played a couple of games of What A Tanker using two tanks per player, we have found it difficult to keep track of which tank has acquired which tank when multiple targets are available. We have decided to use coloured counters (tiddly winks) to help keep track of this.

We have enjoyed the games we've played and intend to play a four or five player this evening sent in France 1940, the well armoured French tanks do set a challenge to the Germans.

Martin

What I have decided to do - as I hate counters on the table is to give each tank a number - (used for doing the initiative draw ayway) and then small numbered counters so a player can place that one next to his aim marker on his dashboard.
I figure 3 or 4 sets of counters 1-12 should do it.

Course if you were using a MDF made dashboard perhaps the designers could incorporate another dial for this .....Darkops I am looking at you!  lol