Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mixed Order in Black Powder??  (Read 705 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Mixed Order in Black Powder??
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
I am almost done reading the BP main rulebook (I purchased it second hand last week or so), and I am a bit confused regarding the Mixed Order rule.

Not how it works, that is pretty clear, but it is stated that only units with the Mixed Order Special Rule can fight in Mixed Order. That, in itself, is pretty straightforward.

BUT, I cannot find the rule listed with the Special Rules in the book, and thus neither is a points value is given for it...?!

How do you gents use the rule? Do you simply assume that all Napoleonic infantry (and light cavalry) has the Mixed Order rule without bothering about points (of course, any games using historical OOBs have no use for points values, anyway), or is the rule listed somewhere that I have blundered past when reading??

I also noted, that the 'Skirmish' rule is not listed - it seems extensively used in the Albion Triumphant I book (which is just appropriate, I have not had time to put that volume under scrutiny, yet), but it seems odd that those two, for Napoleonic warfare very important, Special Rules seem 'forgotten' in the listings?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
Re: Mixed Order in Black Powder??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »
I think it sometimes gets called Mixed Formation in the rules as well as Mixed Order. It's a standard special automatically given to most nation's units in the Napoleonic supplements. Not got my rules to hand to confirm.

Tony.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:40:44 AM by Jabba »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:50 AM »
OK, then it makes more sense - just weird, as the rule is given two pages of coverage in the main rules, that it is omitted on the listings of Special Rules.

Thanks!

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:44:23 AM »
Some units such as KGL light battalions and Portuguese cacadores get Rifle Mixed Formation/Order as they have a rifle armed component within their mostly musket armed formations.

Tony.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:00:01 PM »
Albion Triumphant 2 references main rule book page 78 for mixed formation. Just remembered I had the PDF on my phone.

Tony.