Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix v Warlord Phalangites  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
Victrix v Warlord Phalangites
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
Hi all,

Look for thoughts on Warlord and Victrix Phalangites - I am looking at getting stuff from Aventine as well but as I like use plastic kits as well I'm trying to decide which way to go.

Cheers

JP

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Victrix v Warlord Phalangites
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 03:35:55 PM »
I have both sets.

Each has its advantages. Warlords are more dynamic, particularly when put together in massed units. In the minus side, the figures are somewhat rougher. In a box you get 4 basic poses.

Victrix are better sculpts, with better detail, but the figures are just in one pose, standing. I like more the faces and helmets from Victrix, as well as the pikes, which are more accurate than Warlords. Victrix Successors sets include alternative legs, with trousers, to represent Persian recruited phalangites.

Victrix figures are slightly bigger than Warlords. It is scarcely noticeable from typical "wargaming distance", though.

To be honest, I have found Victrix easier to paint -better detail-. If they would have released advancing/attacking sets I wouldn't bother with Warlords. Alas, they haven't, so Warlords it is, for some variety.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »
By the way, Aventine's are beautiful sculpts and I like them a lot. The cast is usually very good. A joy to paint. They are the smaller of the three, though, and being metal they are more expensive -although with the unit deals it is not that bad-.

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks Antonio very usefull

I may go the Aventine Victrix Combo like i did with my romans then :)