Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686543
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Normandy houses  (Read 3146 times)

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Normandy houses
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
... but when I build houses the tops of the windows and doors are the same height.

I am not skilled enough to make my own buildings, but examples I have built have had had windows above the tops of doors.

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/city-block.html

However, the bottom of the windows are a bit high.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
Great work. I just looked at the pics at first and thought they were mdf jobs. Then I read that you did them yourself.
Outstanding.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline cromojaro

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
Basic painting is finished. I'll add some propaganda posters and sign roads at the end.

A Túrin Turambar turún' ambartanen

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »
Nice.

Offline cromojaro

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »
The left house painted with a Mig Jimenez filter:

Next steps: washes and weathering.

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 12:47:58 AM »
They are basically fantastic. Just a bit too clean and identical looking at the moment. Wouldn't people paint their doors and window shutters different colours?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
They are basically fantastic. Just a bit too clean and identical looking at the moment. Wouldn't people paint their doors and window shutters different colours?

I second that. They seem as they have been newly built, at the same time and by the same group of builders... I would suggest that you google some Normandy houses and take some examples of how a real row of houses looks. It would be great if you could break their uniformity by differing the weathering on their walls, the hue of the rooftiles, the colour of doors and window shutters, even altering slightly the texture of the walls.
They have also the same height. If you intend to continue your project, I suggest that you build at least a couple of houses to be a bit lower/higher, maybe one with one storey less, a small outhouse here and there, in a way that they look more individual.
It is great that you do all this from scratch, keep up the good job and keep posting!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline cromojaro

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
I second that. They seem as they have been newly built, at the same time and by the same group of builders... I would suggest that you google some Normandy houses and take some examples of how a real row of houses looks. It would be great if you could break their uniformity by differing the weathering on their walls, the hue of the rooftiles, the colour of doors and window shutters, even altering slightly the texture of the walls.
They have also the same height. If you intend to continue your project, I suggest that you build at least a couple of houses to be a bit lower/higher, maybe one with one storey less, a small outhouse here and there, in a way that they look more individual.
It is great that you do all this from scratch, keep up the good job and keep posting!

The next group of houses wold be painted and constructed whith diferents colours and number of stores, when I finished these ones.

The first finished house (the left one):

Offline pease1

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
Nice work so far
I think your houses would look a lot better with a bit of weathering, you don't see houses all a uniform colour, I don't know if it true but when I build houses the tops of the windows and doors are the same height.

I agree with Gamer Mac. Dry brush up some lighter tones on the flat areas, then hit them with a light wash of brown. Return with a heavier wash of green at the ground up to about 1 inch up (to simulate alge, etc growing from water splashing up), then some pin washes from the window corners. Your great buildings will become even more awesome.

Offline pease1

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
the one on the left - much better! Some light dry-brushing on the shudders and Bob's your father's brother.

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 11:06:45 PM »
Agree. Deffo getting there mate. 👍