Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:17:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690472
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A good set of American Civil War Rules?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
A good set of American Civil War Rules?
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Im looking for a good set of american Civil War rules. Any recommendations?  Im looking for small scale like 6mm, not too complicated, and readily available in dead tree version. (not out of print)  Been thinking of using Baccus 6mm. Advice?

Thank you.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: A good set of American Civil War Rules?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »
Fire & Fury.  You can get through a lot of troops very quickly.  When we first started using it I worked out three linked
scenarios. My intention was to play them over 3 club nights (3 weeks).  We did all three in one evening, with-out
breaking sweat. Lots of support stuff (dead tree variety) as well.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
Thanks.  I'll have to check out F&F.   Do you have a link where I can get the rules?

Ive looked at Longstreet.  It seems good, but perhaps long. But the idea of cards appeals to me.

Ive also looked at Altar of Freedom, as it got some good rules and seems a pretty short/compact rules set.

=======================

I think i found it!
http://www.fireandfury.com/products/desc_bff2.shtml

Id like larger battles, smaller miniatures 6mm- so Im thinking Brigade F&F instead of Regimental F&F would be a better fit.

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/boff-2-0-an-introduction-to-the-new-brigade-fire-and-fury/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 09:55:31 PM by Bloodaxe »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:03:07 PM »
Bloody Big Battles, similar to Fire & Fury but faster and stripped down, uses same basing conventions. Play first day of Shiloh in 9 turns on 3 X 4 foot table. Rules are for 19th century, rule book has Franco-Prussian scenarios but ACW scenarios are on Yahoo group files and every now and then another gets added.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Another vote for Brigade F&F here. Currently play using 15mm, have had some great games.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
Another vote for Brigade F&F here. Currently play using 15mm, have had some great games.

Thanks.  I'm probably going to pick it up. I'm looking at reviews and trying to find some battle reports.   I might go smaller scale, 10mm or 6mm so I can paint faster. 

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 12:22:49 AM »
I've heard much good about Altar of Freedom. I've got Pickett's Charge lying around and it looks very good; haven't tried it yet. At this point I'm rather sure that Longstreet is my favourite set of ACW rules.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:53 AM »
I've heard much good about Altar of Freedom. I've got Pickett's Charge lying around and it looks very good; haven't tried it yet. At this point I'm rather sure that Longstreet is my favourite set of ACW rules.

Have you played a few games of Longstreet?   How were the rules? I'm lookin ng for something that is relatively simple and easy to pick up & learn quickly.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »
Yus, I got a bunch of Longstreet games under my belt now. The rules play wonderfully fluently. That's the thing Sam Mustafa (the author of the rules) does - he manages to abstract period warfare in this very clever manner so that the games flow well, but you also got all the things you look for in the period, it 'feels right' and leads to historically plausible results. Highly recommended. The cards system adds a very nice 'poker element' to the whole thing and adds period flavour. Just had a game two weeks ago at our Gettysburg Gaming Day here in Vienna:

https://www.battlebrushstudios.com/2018/04/show-report-gettysburg-gaming-day.html

Also comes with a very clever little campaign system.

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 06:21:52 PM »
Maybe Longstreet is what I'm looking for.  I'm a big fan of Battle Cry.  I like the card element. So maybe I'm looking for something along those lines. A slightly more in depth Battle Cry. 

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
Any advice a good 10mm range? Pendraken seems good. Casualties, command, seems complete range.

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 11:33:14 PM »
I recommend Fire and Fury 2nd edition. The 1st edition was a tad slow with musketry somewhat ineffective. This  caused many players to just charge into melee. The 2nd edition changed this, making musketry more effective, in fact it is much bloodier than the 1st edition.

Longstreet was slow, with oddball cards being used by players. Such as throwing a card so a moving unit had to slow down or stop completely. It's really a card game, which our group didn't like much. We played a few games but have dropped it in favor of F&F 2nd edition. 

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 12:11:38 AM »
I recommend Fire and Fury 2nd edition. The 1st edition was a tad slow with musketry somewhat ineffective. This  caused many players to just charge into melee. The 2nd edition changed this, making musketry more effective, in fact it is much bloodier than the 1st edition.

Longstreet was slow, with oddball cards being used by players. Such as throwing a card so a moving unit had to slow down or stop completely. It's really a card game, which our group didn't like much. We played a few games but have dropped it in favor of F&F 2nd edition.

So in F&F you need to make casualty markers and such?  That's actually a positive thing for me. I'm not a big fan of chits, counters & pipe cleaners during play.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »
Longstreet isn't a card game. It's a miniatures game with cards, and it plays pretty fast and has good period feel.
The cards provide friction just like the maneuver roles in Fire & Fury; playing a card to slow down an opposing move isn't different in end result to rolling a 1 on your maneuver roll. Some players just don't seem to get on with card driven games.
F&F was the first miniatures game I ever saw which used miniatures as markers (wounded guys for disorder, reloading for low on ammo, officer waving sword for breakthrough etc)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 08:52:50 PM »
I like the card aspect of Longstreet.  I'm just trying to decide on which game is right for me.  I have to check out some more battle reports & reviews. I'm looking for something relatively simple. 
 Thanks to everyone who replied