Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:26:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 4Ground Fabled Realms  (Read 732 times)

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
4Ground Fabled Realms
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:27:51 AM »
HI
I bought into this last year and the videos where great it has a dynamic movement system and it had a really cleaver combat and magic system based on special d6 d8 and d10.

They have put up for kickstarter members a pdf of the rules and it is really promising, however, they went to a d6 die system with 5 different colors. Now the reasons they have stated is that using normal d6 more people will get into the game, however, almost 500 people bought into the kickstarter with the polyhedral die and there have been very few supporting comments on the kickstarter or the 4 ground forum.

Now wanting to try the game my group has now run three games with the d6 die and it does work but the polyhedral special die give a much easier way to resolve combat and magic.

Now my question for those of you who perhaps did take part in the kick starter or have watched the videos on beasts of war, the before the change ones, with polyhedral die, and the ones after the change agree that this is a good way to run a kickstarter or even change the basic rules due to what they claim they hear at conventions about people not wanting to buy special polyhedral die for a game, rather than listen to the 500 gamers who gave them 107,000 pounds for the game they saw on in the videos during the kickstarter and all the way to months past the closing of the pledge manager.

I know that the disclaimer says and understand that they can essentially do what they want. However, is this a good way to react in such a total disregard for their supporters, and their lack of participation in the comments on the kickstarter is disappointing and rather annoying?

William
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 06:40:52 AM by wkeyser »

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
Re: 4Ground Fabled Realms
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
An explanation of the basic difference between the present multi colored d6 system and the original d6,d8, and d10 system.

First the arguement from 4Ground is they have said that it made the game have easier access with regular d6 (because, here I guess, gamers do not want to buy custom die)

Not faster, or easier.
A combat test requires you to add a number die together depending on your stat. So let’s say some pretty good fighter is fighting another pretty good fighter. The stats are easy to find in both systems the stat cards and ability and magic cards have colored boxes with the correct color of the die to use, this applied to both systems.
D6 version
1 The attacker has one red and one blue die, he then gets to add one green as he charged then he gets one yellow due to a card ability. Now he rolls these to see how many success he gets. The Yellow need a six to get a success, the green get a success on five and six, the blue gets a success on four or five but gets a double success on six. The red gets a success on two and three but gets two success on four five and six.
Lets say he got 3 hits after we count all the success.
2 Now the defender has one purple and one blue, but gets a red and blue for armour and then an extra green due to another friendly model fighting the attacker. So again he rolls and the yellow get a success on six, the green on five and six, the blue on four-five and double on six, the purple get a success on three or four and a double on five or six, the red gets success on two to four and a double on five or six.
But wait he also has a magic card that if he rolls a success on a magic roll he adds another blue to his defense. He has a blue and green for magic so he rolls those and again checks to see how many success he has.
So as you can see the basic system is opposed dice with the difference in success determining the outcome, the time consuming aspect is seeing which color die have one or more success. We have played this way in a number of games at the moment and it works but it is a time consuming and confusing way to determine the number of success.

Now the whey they had it and showed it during the kickstarter and one of the reasons I bought into it and the reason a lot of people bought into it.

I am going to have to make up a little bit as some of this info was never released. In the d6 system we have five different colored d6 from yellow the lowest value, green, blue, purple and red the highest value and in the above example you see the difference in success and double success.
In the original system using polyhedral die you had only three die types a white d6 a blue d8 and a red d10. They were also custom so had the following values.
White d6  1x2hits,  2x1hit, 3xblank
Blue 2x2hits, 4x1hit, 2xblank
Red 2x3hits, 2x2hits, 4x1hit, 2xblank
So now the attacker has two blue one red and one white, he rolls them and looks at the dice and counts the hits.
The defender rolls the two blue one white and red and counts the hits.
If the attacker has more success than the defender takes those hits but first he rolls a red die and needs three success and rolls that so adds one more white to his defense.
So the same basic mechanic look at the stat card, ability card or magic card and take the die with the color illustrated roll and count success. The d6 system due to more die I think (not being a math wizard) probably has more variations then the three polyhedral dice but the fact that they were going to be marked with the hits then this would make it faster to get the results. Of course if this is the only game you played then the 5 different colored d6 each with a different number for success and number of success you would learn by heart and it probably would not slow you down.

Now we played with two players that had not read the rules and had not played before, they found the colored d6 confusing and hard to follow for the first few turns but then caught on. But showing them the system with the marked polyhedral dice they found that much easier. So the claim that the d6 make it easier to get in is bogus. Most player will give a game a try and if they struggle thru the first game are likely not to buy into i

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:32:46 AM by wkeyser »