Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Paul Darnell Touching History  (Read 2270 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
Paul Darnell Touching History
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Paul Darnell of Touching History? I'm just wondering how he is doing.
It's been several years since he gave up model making for sculpting large works of art. I'm not sure how that worked out for him.
I'm hoping that he is well and past his troubles.
We were discussing his models on another forum and I came across this picture of some of the Early American buildings that he made for me.
Here are a couple:
http://theminiaturespage.com/‌"TMP link

I also have a Medieval Village from him. I started to convert it into a Rohan village by adding Horse Lords
symbols and banners.

His stuff was always top shelf. Such a shame.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
Re: Paul Darnell Touching History
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
Paul had many issues  , l think family  breakdown,
the hobby never gave him enough to live on and some mental problems under  a lot of pressure.
He was a gent and visted me on a few occasions and his rolling terrain was a great influence on me , as well railway model texture . Fun, polite and offered a great service .
He went missing and still is . Never attended any shows in the UK in 5 years, phone details , address  changed . So l think we have to except he has finished any interest in the hobby.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »
About a year ago I spoke about Paul with some people who had worked with him in the hobby in the past. I wanted to commission Paul to make some terrain. These people said that they had not come across Paul for quite some time and that they had no contact details for Paul.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »
He was a great talent but had his issues he did say that he felt his talents were wasted on the terrain pieces for war gamers which was a shame as he did some great pieces.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:03:28 PM »
A quick search of Paul comes up with this

https://www.saatchiart.com/ArtBlagg

The link at the bottom appears dead...

Paul was an extremely talented model maker...but such talents aren't necessarily appreciated by a lot of wargamers...and the nature of the hobby doesn't offer a lot of financial incentive. I don't know many working in the hobby making money. Heck, the Perry's had to take on acting roles with Peter Jackson just to make ends meet!  ;D Seriously, wherever Paul is, I wish him the best. I take inspiration from his work and talent. Same goes for James at Oshiro but don't tell him...he will get a big head!  ;)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 05:04:45 AM »
Of course he had bitter fallout with the " Tom Ringrose "
camp , what l can remember he was very kind and taken advantage of financially which left him in a terrible position.

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:42 AM »
I think that was Ron Ringrose. Not Tom.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:17:42 AM »
Silly me ,
Thanks