Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:18:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 696
Total: 702

Recent

Author Topic: Campaigning in the Caribbean  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
Campaigning in the Caribbean
« on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:10 PM »
A customer and gaming mate has kindly shared with me some pictures of his recenty built Dutch fleet, consisting of two large war galleons from Minairons, as well as a smaller 'race-built' fast galleon from Skytrex --all at 1:600 scale. Here you can see what they look like:

He's built these ships for a Galleys & Galleons campaign our gaming club has just started, loosely based on a campaigning suggestion in the rules booklet itself.

Perhaps worth to note he chose not to use the Dutch flag sets I published under Minairons brand, but to paint some of his own instead. Bases are clear plastic rectangles textured by means of a clear silicone layer –or so he told me. Also, there's a small magnet glued at bases bottom, for higher safety when carrying the ships.

As the mentioned campaign is meant to be set in the Caribbean during the War of Spanish Succession, some Two Crowns force was also needed; so I've been working hard to build and paint a selection of Spanish ships, using mainly Peter Pig and Minairons models:

(Large galleon)

(Frigate)

(Small galleon)

(Brig)

(Schooner)

Also, I'm in the process of painting a couple of Catalan ships standing for the Gibraltar New Company –a short lived (1706-1722) Imperial-sponsored initiative intended to break the Spanish monopoly on West Indies commerce.

(Small galleon)

(Frigate in process)

Other models still on our workbenches are a French fluyt, an also French galiot, an English 'race-built' galleon, a Spanish ship of the line and two Spanish galleons else. More ships will be needed for sure soon, but we aren't in any extreme hurry yet –for the current campaign is a playtesting one. So there's still some room to keep painting and testing the game engine.

Regards,
Lluís
www.minairons.eu
minairons-news.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/MinaironsMiniatures
"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
Re: Campaigning in the Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:46:43 PM »
Great looking models!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
Very nice indeed.   :-*

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
 :o Those are some beautiful ships!

Also, a fine choice of rules  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 04:26:40 AM »
Very, VERY nice!  :o
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84