Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons; bad for kids!  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Dungeons and Dragons; bad for kids!
« on: January 01, 2023, 07:55:07 PM »
Well, these kids, anyway. And who ever heard of a D&D themed carnival ride?

For those with no recollection of the Dungeons and Dragons eighties animated TV-series; it told the story of 6 kids who were transported through a portal from a carnival ride into a fantasy world where they were given magical items by some suspicious character calling himself 'Dungeon Master', and then sent off on perilous quests by him, all for the reward of one day finding their way back home.

The series ended without them getting home though, so we've all been left wondering whatever happened to those poor kids. Looking for visual material to paint these minis, I came across this piece of artwork, which I found awesome and also inherently sad. Poor Bobby (Bob or Robert now, I suspect) has obviously been wandering the realm on his own for decades, having lost all his friends one by one (as evidenced by their respective magical items he is carrying all over his body. Even poor Uni bought it apparently, but evil Tiamat can still be seen flying in the background...

But this is not what actually happened to the party!

No; they all met their untimely end at the hands of some foul necromancer, and were subsequently raised again by him to do his bidding, using their magical items while doing so...

Yup; D&D has been pretty dang bad for them. TPK, and where was this 'Dungeon Master' when they needed him?

Anyway; here are the individual members of the (now undead) party:

Hank the Ranger, and nominal leader of the group (well: he was...)

Eric, the (not so brave) Cavalier

Diana, the Acrobat

Presto, the Magician (seriously; what parents calls their kid that?)

Sheila, the Thief

Bobby, the Barbarian

And Uni, the baby unicorn (Bobby's pet)

All of these are 3D prints, and actually are the first prints that I ever painted, even though I've by now printed my share of stuff... ::)

I could not help but notice pretty obvious printing lines while painting though. This slightly bothers me, as I have previously printed minis where there are zero layer lines visible, so how this happened, I have no idea. They originally were about 35mm high, so I reduced them to nominally 25mm in height, to make them work as young teenagers next to 28mm adult miniatures. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I reduced them in size?

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with them, as yet another side-project. They were fun though, and that's just what I needed :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Dungeons and Dragons; bad for kids!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 08:14:14 PM »
Nicely done, if a bit grim mate! 👍

That is quite some thought provoking image of Bobby.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 01:12:45 PM by Grumpy Gnome »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 08:56:26 PM »
Very nicely done.  If case you have not seen them.  Antediluvian does a set of these:  https://antediluvianminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/dungeon-ex.jpg
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 06:56:31 AM »
They did get home! Check it out...

The Final episode of the 1980s Saturday morning cartoon Dungeons and Dragons.  From a script written by series writer Michael Reaves.  Fully animated by using original footage from the series.  Dialog from the DVD radio show released in 2006 by BCI eclipse.   With original cast member Katie Leigh graciously reprising her role of Shelia.   Music reconstructed from the original series (with varying degrees of success)  The creators of this episode are fans first, amateur animators second.   There are many things I wish could have done differently in this presentation, but I am very proud of what we have accomplished and it is my hope that those who love this cartoon as much as we do will be pleased with what we have put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1_6SeRRflo
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 11:17:38 AM »
Very nicely done.  If case you have not seen them.  Antediluvian does a set of these:  https://antediluvianminiatures.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/dungeon-ex.jpg

Oh, now I have to get those. I've been thinking about what would happen if the kids grew up stuck in the D&D world. Their birthdays are 'approximately' those of Daniel Craig (Hank), Paul Rudd (Erik), Michael Sheen (Presto), Nina Sosanya (Diana)... not that I have been mentally casting it, like...

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 11:34:12 AM »
Antediluvian also has the Dungeon Master and the baddies further down the fantasy page. 
That just leaves you with Tiamat.  I would suggest the Reaper Bones version to get the scale right. 
https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/ma'al%20drakar/latest/77580
As I said before, very nice paint on a nostalgic project. 

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 11:45:46 AM »
£180 for Tiamat might be a little more than I can bear at the moment, but it's worth considering if I ever win the lottery/come into an unexpected inheritance!

It is a lovely-looking model though.

I like the not-Dungeon Master and not-Venger minis too. I may have a new side project coming on...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 12:55:02 PM »
Thanks guys; much appreciated :)

The Antediluvian minis are basically the same train of thought as the one artist had that I came across. Except here they all lived... Great minis and I'm sorely tempted now.

Same goes for the party at this Etsy shop, which delivers the heroes during the series, and still quite alive.

And I might probably get myself this Venger model, because the shrunk down 25cm statuette I found is just way too fiddly small to match with any 28mm miniatures. Even when they're not heroically proportioned at all!

...not that I have been mentally casting it, like...
Oh no, not at all  lol

And Tiamat. Well... I don't think so, but maybe Venger's wraithlike minion and his nightmare mount might be in the future...

Also; has the pound now officially dropped below the Euro? Reaper's site states that the model, shipped from the UK is priced at €168,38...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 01:01:40 PM »
Oh, really? It's listing it as £177.77 to me, which works out (at 1:1.13) as E200.88 (can't do a Euro symbol, sorry).

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »
The price point is steep but worth it.  I picked up one during the Kickstarter for $60.00  It is huge. 
This picture shows scale. 

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 05:00:58 PM »
Ouch, right in the childhood.

Nice paintjobs, though. The glow looks excellent.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 09:19:51 AM »
Same goes for the party at this Etsy shop, which delivers the heroes during the series, and still quite alive.

Thanks for the tip on the Etsy figures. I ended up ordering some from a UK based Etsy seller.