Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dismounted Curassier for TYW  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
Dismounted Curassier for TYW
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:03:41 AM »
Anyone have some ideas for dismounted cuirassiers for the TYW in 28mm? Something that would go with Warlord or Horacta's Bohemian lines. We've been playing Osprey's En Garde rules and my models are apparently prone to being thrown.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Dismounted Curassier for TYW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:47:47 AM »
Foundry have a very old dismounted cuirassier figure in one of their ECW packs :

There are probably more out there but that's all I can think of right now.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 07:54:59 AM »
One of Foundry's trainee sculptors (possibly Will Hannah) made a dismounted cuirassier as a test piece. He's standing with both hands on his hips. You can pick this figure up from time to time. I'm not aware of any others. If you're prepared to do a bit of conversion work you could look at dismounted personality figures. If you find any in cuirassier armour you could see whether you could convert them into troopers.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »
I appreciate the suggestion, I am hoping for something a little larger than Foundry, the ones I have do not scale well with the rest of my collection. Converting may end up being the answer, but hope, like the ever growing size of my lead pile, springs eternal.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »
I'm by no means a historical expert so pardon if this sounds ridiculous, but would any of the chaps included in Warlord Games' Storming Party With Petard set work?
It does claim they're dismounted cavalrymen and they seem to sport varying kinds of armour...

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
Well, the Warlord set has a couple of cavalrymen wearing tassets in addition to back and breast plates but I suspect they're not really what Cory is after : as time went by, full 3/4 suits of armour became increasingly scarce on the battlefield, especially by the 1640's, and the Warlord figures are more representative of the later period when the overwhelming majority of troopers were content with a buff coat and a metal corselet for protection. The Warlord miniatures were sculpted with the ECW in mind rather than the TYW, anyway.

If something larger than Foundry/Perry/Tag/Old Glory is required, I suspect the only option is to convert some of the Redoubt ECW cuirassiers, which come with separate legs and torsos if memory serves, so you can use the upper body for dismounted figures. You'll still need to find them suitable legs with boots and tassets though.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
I bow before superior wisdom.  :D

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
You might take a look at command figures for the period. Often officers were armoured more heavely than the rest of the foot troops.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 07:07:10 PM »
It is the Tasset, or leg pieces, that are to me the most distinguishable element. On infantry models they are thigh length and on most infantry models a bit wider while the cavalry have them go to the knee and usually have a noticeable knee guard.

I appreciate the ideas, some hacking, gluing and green stuff look to be on the weekend's schedule I guess.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »
Cory,
I've been tweaking some of the 1st corps new civil war range(not my sculpts just been asked to under take some tech work as a favour.) I'll be seeing Simon and Mick at Hammerhead so I'll ask them if there's any floating around for a future release.
As I'll be plodding around the show I'm  more than happy to have an excuse to look at figures. So if you like I'll see if anyone has some on the trade stands.
Any idea how may your after(assuming I can find some)?

Mark.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
Mark,
  Much appreciated. I only need three or four at most, one would do, but it would be interesting to field a few as a unit.

With his first college semester finals coming up next week my son has really taken to the short games of En Garde as a stress reliever.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 08:19:15 PM »
Cory: if you're after figures in 3/4 armour, and I think you are, I suspect you'll not find many in ECW ranges. By the time of the ECW 3/4 armour had ceased to be worn much. Some high-ranking officers may have worn it - they were certainly painted wearing it - but the only regiment I know of which wore it was Hazlerigge's, although I suppose that some lifeguard units might have worn it too. It was much more common at the start of the TYW, so both TAG and Bohemian Troops make a number of mounted figures wearing it. I don't think either though makes a dismounted figure in 3/4 armour apart from Bohemian Troops' new general which Emil previewed a couple of weeks ago. 

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »
Paul, thank you for the reminder of the Bohemian line, that is exactly what I was looking for and I knew I had seen something, somewhere. Now to impatiently wait and paint my last order from Bohemian.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
Cory,
Talked to a few companies and most were incredulous. At the notion anyone would want them dismounted.

If your still stuck in July drop me a pm as I'll be on with some civil war sculpts then.(I will have one in production for the end of May. It's unlikely to fill your needs as It's for the Follies range vehicles.)

Mark.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 11:42:00 PM »
Cory,
        Other than Wargames Foundry, the only other dismounted TYW/ECW cuirassier I know of it the Bohemian portrait figure of von Pappenheim (who is not in a combat pose - but is a beautiful figure).  As previously noted, you could try converting one of Redoubt's Reiter figures from their Renaissance cavalry (some examples below):

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/r555/

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/r557/

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product/r563/