Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:39:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warmaster Goblin Army on a Budget  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
Warmaster Goblin Army on a Budget
« on: December 20, 2018, 06:50:16 AM »
Evening all,

I am contemplating doing Goblin Army but after checking out the amazing Polar express minis and how much a single army was going to set me back [$600NZD] I have come here to see what cheaper options are out there in doing a Goblin army.

I've looked at Pendraken but they have really nothing in the Goblin size range.
Magister Militum have night goblins but considering i'll be needing 8 units of Goblins, 4 units of Wolf riders, 4 Wolf chariots, as the core of this army and they are in the UK. I plugged in an order for the 8 gobbos units, 4 Wolf riders, 2 units of spear chuckers. Gobbo command pack, this lot comes to    £75.64 [$142NZD]
that includes postage.  I still need Doom divers, Pump wagons, Squig Herd, Giants.

The problem I for see with this army is I am going to have to potentially order from various sites and this will incur additional postage [which isn't cheap to New Zealand]

So is there any other sites that have gobbo sized minis that don't look like a blob of metal but won't cost me my first born, left nut and my soul?

Cheers
LGW

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warmaster Goblin Army on a Budget
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »
To be honest LGW you seem to have discounted all the people who make 10mm Goblins.
The only other suggestion would be irregular miniatures. Not sure how big their 10mm stuff is compared to other manufacturers, but they also make 6mm orcs. I don't know how they would size up against 10mm.
Are you buying to play against someone or are you getting both sides.
If getting both sides why not go down the 6mm route?

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:10:57 AM »
To be honest LGW you seem to have discounted all the people who make 10mm Goblins.
The only other suggestion would be irregular miniatures. Not sure how big their 10mm stuff is compared to other manufacturers, but they also make 6mm orcs. I don't know how they would size up against 10mm.
Are you buying to play against someone or are you getting both sides.
If getting both sides why not go down the 6mm route?

I am getting back into Warmaster. So far I have a Wood Elf army, Nurgle Daemon army and my Son has an Albion army.
I've always wanted to get a Goblin army... I used to own one back in the day.

I am only after 10mm. But have looked at Microworlds 6mm Orcs they could be an option for Goblins. But then I'd run the risk of the other units I need that Microworld does not have not matching each other [eg looking out of scale]
I'm not a fan of irregular 6mm or 10mm their 15mm stuff is ok.

I've looked at Pendraken, magister militum, kallistra, Polar Fox, Copplestone, Eureka [Where I got my wood elf and my Son's Albion armies from]
I am seeing if there are other places that I may have missed.

LGW

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
Try to find a box of Battle of Five Armies. There you'll get a full army of plastic goblins and wolf riders for a decent price IMO.

You get what you can see in the first row of the picture:

Closer pic:

Scale comparison with Copplestone's and GW's metals:

Cheers,

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
I've found better pics of the Goblin army:

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
Copplestone are always a good option in 10mm - they have a variety of LoTR style Orcs. I suppose its what style you want your goblins to look like. The Polar Fox ones will be the best match to the GW style.

The BoFA infantry are OK - very regimented in look. The wolf riders are the poorest figures, the wolves are OK, but the front and the back ones are joined together at the back. Given the price you are likely to pay for the BoFA stuff, not sure they are worth it compared to other options. Back in the day when it was £50 for the whole box, it was certainly good value.

The Pendraken goblins are characterful, especially with the revised Warband figures, but they are probably a bit big, as Pendraken fantasy stuff is definitely more on the 12mm size.

Get Warmaster stuff off eBay. The Wolf Riders particularly have loads of figures in a pack, way more than you need for a unit. The night goblin packs are OK if you like the style.

Another thought on keeping the cost down - reduce the number of figures on a base. This might sound silly, but the original GW strips put a huge number of figures on a small base. With inidivually based figures, you can get away with a lot fewer on a base - especially for goblins who can mill about and don't need to rank up.

Have you looked at Splintered light - while 6mm - they are very nice miniatures and might work, can't recall what they have on the Orc / Goblin front?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 12:16:58 PM by fred »