Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gardens of Hecate (Last update: 30th Sep 2019)  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Blasphemia Blackwood

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
Gardens of Hecate (Last update: 30th Sep 2019)
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »
I think this is the right subforum for the topic; if not, Mods please put it wherever it belongs. Cheers!

Gardens of Hecate is an independent setting I have been gradually developing since 2012 for my own amusement. My hobby blog bears the same name because its initial purpose was to document this very project. Gardens can be roughly described as a baroque horror-fantasy setting. The project has so far yielded several warbands of converted tabletop miniatures, a collection of tabletop scenery, some artwork, gaming implements such as playing cards and tokens, numerous pages of backstory about my characters and their environment, and more.

The Countess' was the very first warband I made for the setting. I played a short campaign with the minis this year, and the photos below come from those battles. You can read the whole story here: Monstrous Births. I don't have my own system, I used adapted Malifaux rules for the campaign.

The Countess and her etheric projection, the Beast.

The Countess is a member of the old noble familiy Vérzőfarkas. With her husband, count Waywode, engaged in the War that rages on the borders of the empire,  the lady is left to her own devices in the safety of his castle. She is a person who loves being the centre of attention and very much enjoys throwing and attending extravagant parties visited by the highest classes of society. At one such gathering where she was a guest, she took part in a seance. This mysterious, morbid and spectacular event impressed her most deeply, and she developed an interest in spiritualism and the underworlds. Since then, Castle Waywode had been visited by many esoteric  guests as the Countess sought to learn as much as she could of her new subject of interest. Eventually she succeeded in entering what she calls the Spirit World, and which is one of the deeper Underworlds. Nowadays she is able to visit it at will. What she also learned was how to summon its denizens and bind them into her service through ancient heathen rites.

The Countess, stalking the woods under the cover of the night with her spirit servants.

The Countess' main obsession, and her main motivation, is her search for everlasting life, beauty, youth and wealth. This desire for carefree immortality had been present in her since her early teens, and has only grown stronger with age. She is very interested in alchemy for this particular reason, and takes every opportunity to gather arcane knowledge and powerful artifacts that might help her in her quest. A small army of Spirits and the abillity to wade through an Underworld both come in very handy in this respect. Especially since she often has competition to fight off. Though she uses her occult knowledge and skills to create awesome entertainment for her aristocratic party guests, she keeps the true nature of her hobbies secret from the public. These days, when influence of the Church in the Empire is growing stronger and stronger, not even the highborn are safe from persecution.

The Countess and a pack of Ravenous Bloodfients hunting a Unicorn.

The past failed attempts at achieving her goal through an assortment of magical and unmagical means have (ironically) had an unfortunate effect on the Countess' physical appearance. All her hair had fallen out, her skin has an unnatural hue, and her eyes are colourless. In order to conceal her grotesque visage, she maintains a magical illusion that prevents anyone from seeing her true face.

Crimson Sphynx, a powerful spirit, encounters a misshapen deer in the woods.

That's it for starters; more coming in further posts. :-)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:51:31 PM by Blasphemia Blackwood »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
Bloody Nora!
 :o :o

This is a truly wonderful project.
I really like your style and am seriously impressed with your vision and skills.
 :-* :-*

Gotta love your colour palette too.
So subtle, it suits the subject matter perfectly.
 8) 8)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »
Great scenes  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »
This is why I come to LAF.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »
Wow! :o :P

Love it!  :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »
Great pictures and a very interesting setting
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 03:30:04 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 03:41:02 PM »
Good grief, these are superb - good photography too.  8) 8) 8)

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
Great Caesar's Ghost!

Very nice work.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
I'd love to do something like this but I don't have the skill, vision, patience or flair to do anything of the sort.

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:20:52 PM »
Wonderful!  Great minis AND background!

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 09:26:22 PM »
Cheers!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 09:38:33 PM »
What they all said! The figures and terrain look amazing. It would be great to see some more photos.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
OK, I'm interested! :-* :-*

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 01:20:30 AM »
Very nice.