Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Italians vs Abysinians AAR  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Italians vs Abysinians AAR
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »
I don't actually think the Mahdists' record against the Brits is any better than their record against anyone else. The Brits called off one attack against a strongly defended town because it was clearly a very stupid idea to attack it with the number of men they had, but in anything you can call an actual battle the Mahdists lost every encounter.

They were supremely (idiotically?) courageous, and pulled off some very impressive feats (that sadly for them didn't actually influence the outcomes of the battles in question and most of the time were caused by British stupidity at the command level), but they took a pretty horrible battering every single time they faced Tommy Atkins.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »
The Mahdists won plenty of battles against the Egyptian army. Destroying Hicks Pasha's army in the desert was just one of them, capturing Khartoum and destroying the occupying army. Numerous battles as they over ran the south of the Sudan in earlier years. Gordons best troops were ambushed outside Khartoum on the opposite bank of the Nile and practically wiped out. We tend to think that the wars against the Mahdi only started when the British arrived. Gordon was sent out because the Egyptian Garrisons across the sudan had been systematically destroyed.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »
Oh aye, they dished up the Egyptians something rotten, no argument there.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2018, 02:45:02 AM »
So much for all that "praying in the Mosques of Damascas,  Cairo, Constantinopal, etc" .   :)     they didn't do much after Khartoum

.  Terrorized and enslaved their own people, menaced neighbors, talked a lot of trash.   Then, after finally. Provoking a British invasion, they get whipped so bad, they moved to the Philippines, and were then known as "Manilla Folders".

Maybe the kaliffa wasn't as. Ambitious as the Mahdi?
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »
some  colour plates to help painting Ethiopian minis:

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:18 PM »
some  colour plates to help painting Ethiopian minis:

Thanks!    Ever since this thread, I've been studying up on 15mm Abyssinian figures.   Found lots of em