Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689249
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

The Usual Suspects (D@rth J@ymZ)
102 (55.7%)
In The Navy (Ray Rivers)
81 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 182

Author Topic: ROUND 3 The Usual Suspects vs In The Navy  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: ROUND 3 The Usual Suspects vs In The Navy
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
Only thing is I don't understand what they are standing on and what it is supposed to be. So that leaves me kind of confused as I don't get the machine.

:o

Boy you sure are new in town...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »
Well, I'm not into aeronef/victorian sci-fi/etc. at all so that stuff just doesn't mean anything to me :D
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
Well, I'm not into aeronef/victorian sci-fi/etc. at all so that stuff just doesn't mean anything to me :D

Ah... then you do know what "they are standing on".

You're credibility just went to zero.

But what I don't understand is why are you so eager to bend the truth in what appears to be a campaign to influence folks to your view?

Very unseemly mate.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »
???Huh???
I understand it's something aeroneffy/victorian sci-fi but I still don't have a clue what it is...I don't. Is it the top of a ship? Is it the ship itself? Does it fly? Does if float? That's what I'm talking about. And why would I influence people...what's the point of that? Weird view you have there  ???

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »
How can you not be into something when you haven't a clue what it is about?

There is a whole sub-forum for VSF...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
And why would I influence people...what's the point of that?

Dunno... but you sure seem to be hell bent on doing exactly that... in every single contest.

Man, it's getting boring.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 11:49:42 AM »
How can you not be into something when you haven't a clue what it is about?

There is a whole sub-forum for VSF...

Okay, that's probably because I'm not native English and I didn't bring along my point well enough. My LAF-related interest is in 30's pulp, Cthulhu, Future Wars. I know (to a tiny extent) what aeronef is but that doesn't mean I understand the designs or what they are meant to do. That's what I meant in my posts. I suspected it was aeronef-related but I have no clue what it is. So that picture does not work for me as I don't have a clue what is going on. Sure it may be terrific for people who understand the machine, but I'm not one of them.
Sure there is an aeronef forum...but what's your point? My interest doesn't lie there so why should I go there?

And why would I influence people...what's the point of that?

Dunno... but you sure seem to be hell bent on doing exactly that... in every single contest.

Man, it's getting boring.

Thanks for the insult :(. As far as I know this is a forum and last time I checked, a forum is about giving your opinion in a reasonable fashion. That's what I'm doing (well, I'm trying at least). I try to reply to each entry to explain why I voted for entries and not the other one. That's not trying to influence people to see things the way I see it. That's just silly. And it implies that I'm thinking people listen to me and follow my lead...I'm not that narcistic ;).
So to conclude: I'm just giving my opinion on what I think is right and what could be better. Exactly what a forum is for IMO. If that seems narcistic to you, then I think that's odd.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »
What I think is odd... is if you don't understand something, why don't you just ask?

I've lived all over the world and that's what normal folks do.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
I think the thread which shows the build process explains a bit mode about the vehicle:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=9250.0

That said, if you haven't seen it before and are not familiar with these things it can be hard to make out what it should look like and what it's supposed to do. As far as I know they're basically supposed to be floating ships, much like the land ironclads are rolling ships. The precise design can probably take any shape and from the picture (in which parts of the ship are cut off) it's not immediately clear what shape this one is.

I couldn't really tell either, but still I liked what I saw, but of course that's always a matter of opinion. Alsom, I do not think there is anything wrong with explaining why you cast your vote for one entry or another, even if it's mostly based on personal preferences (I do it all the time too). I don't think this is ever meant as an attempt to influence people, certainly not this late in the week.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 01:17:23 PM »
Thanks for the link Pil! Awesome topic by the way Ray, really inspiring to see it being built from the start to finish. Lots of great pictures too and now the ship's all clear to me :).
And yes, I could have asked. But to me the presentation should say it all.
But anyway, let's leave this discussion behind us. With your building topic I think the ship is awesome and worth a LPL entry by itself. And although Aeronef still doesn't float my boat (pun not intended) I really do appreciate all the work, imagination and hours that went into the ship.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
Although, you didn't mean to, I think Ray has invested a lot of time and love into this project, and, in those circumstances, you can be easily hurt by what you can see as criticism. 
We also forget, as well, that many folks on this forum do not speak English as a first language, an allowance should always be given for slight differences in usage/meaning that do not always imply criticism..
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »
Okay chaps - thanks. Can we leave that one there?  :)

It's perfectly okay for anyone to pass comment on entries in the league, and even to say which one they voted for if they really want to (although personally, I wouldn't go that far).
There's probably a fine line between saying which entry in a particular match you prefer, and coming across like trying to persuade other people to follow your vote. Which I'm sure wasn't Malebogia's intention. It is made harder by the language barrier for those who are not native English speakers.
In summary I'd say constructive criticism is fine, and is very much part of the LPL.
On the other hand, expressing strong partizan support for one or other entry is not really in keeping with the spirit of things, and is probably best avoided.

I hope that's useful and is the end of that particular discussion.

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your comments...
and thanks for posting that WIP link Pil, the US Aeronef looks like it took some serious time and effort; congrats Ray, it has been a pleasure  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:34:07 PM by D@rth J@ymZ »
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 10:31:04 PM »
And congratulations on your well deserved victory with those very nice mini's of yours.

Sorry about my outburst of bruised pride... won't happen again.   :-X

Good luck to everyone on the next round!