Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:09:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690831
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 750
Total: 757

Recent

Author Topic: Why no “child board” for Pulp Alley?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Why no “child board” for Pulp Alley?
« on: April 30, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »
Just wondered since PA seems to dominate this boards, why it doesn’t have its own sub-board? Plenty of rules systems have on other boards - systems that don’t appear so dominant in their own genre as PA is in this one. And then there’s Triumph and Tragedy - a system about which I know nothing but which appeared to attract 4 posts in the whole of 2017 and yet has its own sub-board.

I’m not canvassing for a PA child board I’m just curious as to why some rules have them and some which would appear obvious candidates don’t.

Doug

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Why no “child board” for Pulp Alley?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:45:27 PM »
I suppose it depends on the nature of the board and the specifics of the child board rules in question. In the case of Pulp Alley it covers such a broad range of all things Pulp that I don't personally think it needs a child board. Pulp is a broad genre and one that cross pollinates well without splitting threads between various child boards.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 12:59:27 AM »
Just last year Alex (Witchheimer) had suggested this idea, but I asked him not to move Pulp Alley to a child board. I didn't believe it would benefit the Pulp board - and I still don't.

For what its worth, I would much rather keep all the pulpy posts in one area.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »
I have to admit I don't like child boards, unless it's for a system I don't play or have no jnterest in, which is great as I don't have to separate the wheat from the chaff when selecting what threads to read.

;)

What I do find really helpful is when companies use just one thread for new releases/WiP and then constantly update it, rather than use single threads for each new release which then get lost in the mire on busy boards like this one. Finding something you saw weeks or months ago is so much easier if you know that it will be in that one thread.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »
I agree I like the Pulp board as it is .It covers the whole Pulp concept.
Alley threads aren't the only threads on here. When you glance back more than a couple of pages you realise that Alley gamers regularly post their games and ideas. People playing other systems just don't seem to share their games as often on this forum.
But ideas and modelling threads on this board are definitely more generic .

I'm not a fan of the term Child Boards. It always seemed a bit misleading.Especially if your not familiar with the forum model.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »

I'm not a fan of the term Child Boards. It always seemed a bit misleading.Especially if your not familiar with the forum model.

I always found that term a bit odd - I’d assumed it was a literal translation from a German term. Sub-boards or similar would seem more appropriate.

Doug

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:57:28 AM »
I always found that term a bit odd - I’d assumed it was a literal translation from a German term. Sub-boards or similar would seem more appropriate.

Doug

As far as I know, it may be a peculiarity of the SMF package this forum utilizes. In pretty much all German fora I use(d) to frequent, the terms "Unterforum" or "Themenforum" (i.e. "sub board" or "topical/thematic board") were used. That said, "parent-child-relationship" is a key approach in database design, so it may just the programmers of this software not requiring a re-name.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »
Pretty sure that if Pulp Alley had it's own subforum, the main forum would have almost no posts in it!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »
There's no doubting that a good proportion of the threads are Pulp Alley based but many of the posts are members putting up their painted figures, scenery, etc that they intend to use for Pulp Alley, and a lot of that isn't rules specific (ie people can get something out of it regardless of the rules they play).