Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of the Little Big Horn Gallery  (Read 3325 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Battle of the Little Big Horn Gallery
« on: May 01, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »
Among the 20 galleries currently posted on my vanity website, my Little Big Horn Gallery is one of my personal favorites… probably the little boy in me.  It is accompanied by a write-up that provides some information on the terrain and figures used.  The gallery is not an authentic representation of the battle because my real objective was to display my figures.  In the actual battle the Indians did a good deal of hiding from the soldiers shooting at them so mine is more a representation of the barroom-painting version of the battle and the popular impression/Errol Flynn movie version of what it may have looked like.  I’ve provided a few sample pictures below.  I hope you will give the complete gallery a look.  Just scroll down and click on the Battle of the Little Big Horn picture at www.warin15mm.com
Plains_Indians_136 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrPlains_Indians_146 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrPlains_Indians_207 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrPlains_Indians_239 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:33:40 PM by War In 15MM »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Battle of the Little Big Horn Gallery
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:24:48 PM »
Reminds me of that Old West Legend...

"If that's not how it was, it's how it should have been!"

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
John Ford... one of the great quotes.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
Richard,

I'm going to put forward a 'bold' suggestion.  Yes, I know you are busy with another collection so this might not be the time to do this but perhaps you should consider doing a reshoot of this collection in a different setup.  And, here is the real kicker, maybe find a more current replacement for that old bit of indoor-outdoor carpet.  While it works okay, there are some real improvements out there you can buy that might greatly enhance your photo shoots.  Better yet, make something yourself.  Get a nice big sheet of painter's canvas for relative cheap at a Big Box store and various colors of paint, a roller and some brushes and either rags or old newspapers, base paint the canvas and then do successive dry brushed layers on top of the base coat until you get a coloration you like.  Don't forget some plastic tarps to put under the canvas though or you'll end up 'painting' your driveway or patio or whatever you paint the canvas on.

Another alternative, a bit more expensive, is to go to a yardage shop and buy a piece of marine vinyl and then some spray paints - Montana brand has appropriate colors in flats (but shake the heck out of those cans and wear a mask) - and turn it into a work of art.  You have the skills to do this - maybe a young lady might be able to help if you ask her nice.

The fact you posted the photo here makes me suspect you have a hankering to something exactly like this.  Why, I can hear one of those miniatures in their boxes now!  What's that, you say, "Hoka hey!"?

FifteensAway casting off

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
FifteensAway, I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm afraid that my old indoor-outdoor carpet is a bit like comfort food for me... makes me feel good. 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
Well I think it looks just bully. And the action shots are fantastic, too.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:09 PM »
Agreed. I love the whole look of the thing. Beautiful, beautiful work! 

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »
Plynkes and Arundel, thanks to both of you for the generous words... very much appreciated.
Plynkes, let me add on an unrelated note that nothing inspired me more than your work on Africa when I put together my 28mm African collection.  I am sure that I speak for many others when I say that. 
Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 12:32:36 AM »
Well, I don't want to part you from your 'friend'.

But I still want to see more and varied photos of this collection!!!!   lol lol lol lol lol

Those poor little guys are suffocating in their boxes, you know.   :o

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 04:07:46 AM »
FifteensAway, there's probably something about an old guy and new tricks involved here.

I appreciate the kind words about wanting to see more of this collection.  Actually my website was born because my wife knew I loved looking at my figures, but she was/is not interested in having them decorate our home so she suggested a diorama style website where I could visit them whenever I wanted without disturbing the house.  I may revisit this collection one day, but there are so many collections yet to build and paint that who know when that revisit will take place.  Actually, the gallery I would like to revisit in terms of a fresh look/set up the most is my Samurai collection.  It is the first collection we photographed, and we have learned a lot about how to set one of these collections up in the last ten years.

Richard

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
Really awesome collection. Gives me the itch to start painting wild west 15s.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
DivisMal, thanks so much for the generous words.  The 15s really gave me the opportunity for a large village and a big battle layout... it was fun!  Richard

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
Dear Richard,

I always like to see 15mm projects. While modern 28s leave not much we could wish for, and I myself still collect them for the pure joy of painting, they take too much space...especially if you want to have a realistic feeling of the landscape and distances involved! I hope to achieve a similar effect with my new chaos dwarfs, too. 8)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 08:54:25 PM »
DivisMal, my approach to the 15mm vs. 28mm has been to do the military/historical in 15mm because that scale makes possible large armies on large battlefields.  I also think that the "power" of 15s is in the drama/impact of large numbers rather than the personality of individual figures.  Because 28mm figures offer the size to give the individual figures great detail and personality I use them with collections dealing with Pulp, Adventure and Victorian collections.  Works out great for me.  I've used that division of labor in putting together 20 diorama style galleries, and I hope to be posting my 21st soon.  Richard

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:41 AM »
Let's take some odds - will Richard make it to 50 galleries?!    :o  Maybe we should limit it to 30 to keep some of the pressure off the 'young' man.    lol