Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: X-Wing 2.0 Conversion Kits?  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
X-Wing 2.0 Conversion Kits?
« on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:04 AM »
So, I see X-Wing 2.0 is coming out, and they'll be selling "Conversion Kits" so you can still use your old minis with the new system.

Cost runs $50 a pop, for Rebels, Imperials, and Scum & Villany, IIRC.

Anyone know what the $50 includes, e.g. how many fighters you get new cards, and other fluff for?

I clicked on the FFG listings, as well as their FAQ, and no info was available there, sadly.

Haven't been keeping up with all the commentaries and news on X-Wing, so figure some of you may have an idea.

The upgrades sound nice, and perhaps even logical, but if you want to field more than a couple/handful of each of the different fighter types for larger games, I'm guessing converting to 2.0 is going to be rather expensive.

I hope I'm wrong, but doubt it.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: X-Wing 2.0 Conversion Kits?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:57:40 AM »
I’m assuming that the conversion kits are just cards and tokens?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
I’ve got the same concern - I only recently started x-wing and I like to fly 5 tie fighters, which may be a problem!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
If it is new vehicles then perhaps they've sorted out the scale issue with them all...

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
I've got lots of X-Wing stuff that I play as a casual, non-tournament game with friends and family and we're happy with the game as it plays now.

I'm certainly not going to spend a shed load of money 'converting' to 2.0, but I will be on the lookout for things when the tournament boys dump all their 'non-legal' v1.0 stuff on eBay  lol

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
I've got lots of X-Wing stuff that I play as a casual, non-tournament game with friends and family and we're happy with the game as it plays now.

I'm certainly not going to spend a shed load of money 'converting' to 2.0, but I will be on the lookout for things when the tournament boys dump all their 'non-legal' v1.0 stuff on eBay  lol

100% with you!

Perhaps they'll start selling DOWNGRADE KITS for new models to old rules as soon as they notice that nobody buys 2.0 ...

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
So, the Conversion kits have the cards, tokens and manoeuvre dials (apparently) and each Kit allows you to convert the following:

Rebels
3 Awings
4 Z-95's
2 of everything else listed as Rebel

Imperial
3 TIE Strikers
3 VT-49 Decimators
3 TIE Bombers
3 TIE Aggressors
3 Inquisitors TIE
3 TIE Inteceptor
4 TIE Fighter
2 of everything else listed as Imperial

Scum & Villainy
3 Kihraxzxzzaasxzzx
3 Quadjumper
3 Protectorate Starfighter
4 M3-A Interceptors
4 Z95 headhunters
2 of everything else listed as S&V (including Slave I)

Apparently the new models will have moving S-Foils, much like you will be able to get in the next Wave of ships (Saw's Renegades & TIE Reaper - which coincidently will have rules to use them in both 1st and 2nd Edition) and they plan to re-release the original models in new packaging etc, apart from any of the Ace models which they won't release again. They say you can still use the models as normal ones though, so they might become something of a collectors item (if you can't be bothered to repaint other models in that style).

I think the main thing that bugs me though (apart from price.. obviously) is the fact that they say you either construct a force based on the basic cards they provide (quick and easy) or you have to use their app.

Offline Lolbat

• Student
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
I think the main thing that bugs me though (apart from price.. obviously) is the fact that they say you either construct a force based on the basic cards they provide (quick and easy) or you have to use their app.

It is a free app and it will be required for OP play. The reason they are getting people to use it is that they are changing the cost of some upgrades based on what you put the upgrade on. TBH I think the game has so many options at this point that an app is a necessity anyway so it’s nice to see an official one and also nice to see that they are going to leverage that app to do some flexible reposting of upgrades.

It also means that if they FAQ a cost that it is immediately applied 

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 02:41:40 PM »
Who the heck flies 3 Decimators??  lol

I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I have a collection of nearly 100 ships, so converting all of them is going to cost an absolute fortune.

On the other hand, this might make some of the older ships that have been relegated to 2nd line duty viable to play again. T-65's, I'm looking at you! And I have been surprised many times before, when my opponent suddenly states that my list is no longer allowed, as per the FAQ that came out this morning...  ::) So an official app (I have used a very good one for many years now; X-Wing Squad Builder) would be useful. Although that will probably mean all the 3rd party app builders will now receive a nice C&D...

Then again; I have also invested (somewhat heavily) in dedicated binders and cardholding sheets, to organise my card collection. It works great, and look fantastic. All of that will be useless now.

Unless we locally decide to stick to the original version. Because from what I've read, I'll be needing at least 2 sets of each original faction upgrade (whilst not requiring many doubles and extra's, which I'll be paying for), and one each for the new factions (First Order and Resistance).

That's $400,-, just to keep my ships playable under the new rules. Oh; and I'm sure I'll be needing some sort of boxed set with the new rules, templates etc as well! So let's say $450,-  :?

And most of my regular opponents are in just as deep.

I may like Star Wars; I may even love it, and the same goes for the X-Wing game, but that might just be straw that breaks the bantha's back...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:48:17 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
Just seen the UK prices for the conversion packs on Wayland's site.  RRP is £47 each!  The poor mix of Rebel and Imperial units is bad enough, but my only Scum ship is Slave 1: cheaper to buy the new model...

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »
If you're enjoying the game as is, then why bother changing to a different version at all?
Just because it's there?  That doesn't make any sense.
- Scott

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
I'm not a tourney guy with X-Wing, I'll pass on any upgrades.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »
If you're enjoying the game as is, then why bother changing to a different version at all?
Just because it's there?  That doesn't make any sense.

My initial thought too, but my regular opponent likes to keep up with the newest rules with all his games. Me personally would still be playing 40K 4th ed and WHFB for instance.  ::)

On the other hand; it is true that there has been a gradual power creep in X-Wing, rendering some of the older ships virtually ineffective. This is evident by the meta changing with each and every wave.

Also, FFG has been making increasingly more FAQ changes to the game, making quite a few cards obsolete (hence my mistakes mentioned earlier). I blame that to insufficient playtesting; with more and more ships and cards, it is obviously harder to keep track of each and every combination, creating the opportunity for the unscrupulous to exploit oversights.

And those need to be addressed to keep the game balanced. But the downside is an increasing amount of unusable cards. Now, I could live with that, if FFG would offer a service to change out obsolete cards for correct ones, but I can obviously see why that would not be commercially viable.

So the only way is to 'reset' the game. And most gaming systems have had that done at one (or more) time(s).

But that doesn't mean I have to like it...  :P

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:31 PM »
Just seen the UK prices for the conversion packs on Wayland's site.  RRP is £47 each!  The poor mix of Rebel and Imperial units is bad enough, but my only Scum ship is Slave 1: cheaper to buy the new model...

Interesting, so that will be £141 to upgrade my 12 tie fighters to X-Wing 2.0. and leave me with a whole bunch of unwanted upgrade cards. I think I'll pass thanks.  :o

Also, given everything new will be in v2.0 style, I won't be buying it as it won't match what I already have.  Wonder if FFG are going to disenfranchise may people this way?

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »
Posts above sum up my thoughts quite well.

Some sort of reset is quite welcome, given some inbalances, overcomplication of rules and length of the FAQ.

Not too happy to pay for the privilege to have all my old stuff made 'obsolete' however, and thus won't. Haven't played a tournament in quite some time; more interested in the occasional casual game where competitiveness matters little. I think they could have fixed most issues (including incorporating the FAQ) by simply reprinting a bunch of cards, which I wouldn't have minded buying. Instead, you need new cards for everything, and new movement dials etc. too? Old cards and FAQ it is then.  :)
~Ad finem temporum~