Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689611
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How good is Star Wars Legion as a wargame?  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: How good is Star Wars Legion as a wargame?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:21:28 PM »
Yeah, there's the catch...

The minis are more like 32mm; way bigger than the Imperial Assault minis, which in turn are quite a bit more heroic than the WotC bendies.

If you're even half concerned about scale and already have a 28mm or 25mm (WEG) collection, you're not going to like that fact.

Actually, I'm going to play the game with my collection of WotC minis myself.

Yeah; I'm silly like that...  lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »
  Hi, just curious about how you plan on getting the rules and cards? I'm thinking doing the same thing my my WOTC figs. I own loads of most everything. No chance I'll be buy these figs. But would like to try the rules.

Thanks,

John

The minis are more like 32mm; way bigger than the Imperial Assault minis, which in turn are quite a bit more heroic than the WotC bendies.

If you're even half concerned about scale and already have a 28mm or 25mm (WEG) collection, you're not going to like that fact.

Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 12:59:47 AM »
I’ve got a pretty extensive LEGO collection, so I think I’m goin to try and play a game with legos.  Just looked online and the,company offers quite a bit of the rules as downloads.  Should be enough to figure it out.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 04:06:21 AM »

I believe their 35mm according to FFG.

It's still close enough in scale that terrain works just fine between them.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
How are the minis scaled to other manufacturers?  I believe I heard that it's different from Imperial Assault.
They're 32mm I think, larger than the IA figures (sadly). Whether to push sales or a licensing thing I don't know. That said, some IA figures can still work; strangely sized and shaped alien creatures won't stand out too much. One of the painting threads on this forum has a fair few examples.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 09:17:29 PM »
  Hi, just curious about how you plan on getting the rules and cards? I'm thinking doing the same thing my my WOTC figs. I own loads of most everything. No chance I'll be buy these figs. But would like to try the rules.

Thanks,

John

I'm buying a box together with someone else; I keep the game components, and he gets the minis. So I get to use my extensive WotC collection with the game, and he gets to paint some nice Star Wars miniatures...  :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
I'm buying a box together with someone else; I keep the game components, and he gets the minis. So I get to use my extensive WotC collection with the game, and he gets to paint some nice Star Wars miniatures...  :)

Your vehicles will probably be a problem there. The unique vehicle bases are very difficult to replicate for use out of it.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
Enjoyable game. Token heavy. Rules available online for free if you want to review before buying.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-legion/

Odd that figs thus far are kind of for forest/jungle/plains battles. Latest release is Snowtroopers. Snow???

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 04:08:35 PM »
Tabletop Admiral list-builder site has scans of the stat cards for the units too.  I'm assuming they are at least tolerated, as they post on the FFG community forums

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
Your vehicles will probably be a problem there. The unique vehicle bases are very difficult to replicate for use out of it.

There are already a couple companies doing aftermarket laser cut bases for the vehicles.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »
I am/was intrigued by the game but my main concern is that it will eventually become a case, like Armada, of having to learn all of the card and upgrade interactions for both sides and losing games not because I did anything wrong but that I picked less optimal upgrades than my opponent.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
Considering FFG's commercial model, that is a very valid concern. If anything, investing heavily in X-Wing has taught me that much... ::)

At the moment though, with only a couple of games under my belt, I can assure you that this is not yet an issue. But then again; during the first few waves of X-Wing, that was not a thing either.

The good thing about that though, is that FFG have learned a lot about setting up a game they intend to support for a long time, which is evident from X-Wing 2nd ed.. From what I read at least. And since such a massive overhaul will have been in the works for a long time (probably years), there is a good chance they've taken those insights in consideration during the design of Legion.

But that will not mitigate FFG's habit of putting interesting, (almost) mandatory and useful cards in otherwise less interesting expansions.

Then again; how many upgrades can a squad of Storm Troopers have, while still keeping them within the limits of the lore? I don't think that can be too many. I think (especially at first), that they will be focusing on getting as many different units out there as possible. Only when a certain saturation point has been reached (as around Wave 7 or 8 of X-Wing) in regards to the amount of (canon) models released, and they need to expand their horizon to include ever more new units, will they start including ever more convoluted upgrades and fixes.

And I'm not intending to let this game get out of hand like that; I want a well defined wargame with a couple of easily recognizable Star Wars forces, where all units will be from the original trilogy and maybe some very limited amount from Legends. So when I have enough to have two (or three?) forces large enough to play a full 6x3 table, I'll be a happy wargamer and power-creep be danged...

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:08 PM »
Meeples and Miniatures said its good but compared it to a FFG version of Bolt Action, and since theres already a sci fi variant of Bolt Action and its not exactly setting the world on fire.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 12:18:59 AM »
a sci fi variant of Bolt Action.
Referring here to Gates of Antares?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
Referring here to Gates of Antares?

Now that‘s a strange comparison. For me Bolt Action (1st ed.) felt very much like a simplified version of 40k. Maybe because I primarily played 3rd and 4th ed. 40k. Can‘t say anything about Gates of Antares though. There is some similarity with activation (drawing tokens instead of IGOUGO), but still different.

As for Star Wars Legion, I really enjoyed my first forays into the game. It felt very original and easy going, also due to the dice and cards. And quite different from 40k or Bolt Action (still a scifi tabletop obviously). Highly recommended!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:13:42 PM by Warboss Nick »