Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

Neo-Sov Kommandos (Westfalia Chris)
44 (24.4%)
Colonial Marines for Space Hulk (Pulper)
136 (75.6%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Author Topic: ROUND 3 Neo-Sov Kommandos vs Colonial Marines for Space Hulk  (Read 11584 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Re: ROUND 3 Neo-Sov Kommandos vs Colonial Marines for Space Hulk
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:35:16 AM »
Superb basing on Pulper's entry :-*
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »
Wow! I love them BOTH! and its very "strange"? that two entrys so closely match in theme. Was this a "Shuffle" or a matching captain? I mostly have a fairly easy time picking but this one gets me lookin for the "split decision" button too! :-*

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:32:17 AM »
Excellent bases on the EM4 miniatures! Both or very well painted, so it comes down to the basics ;)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »
I really, really love the Space Hulk marines but I've seen them before so the first entry has it for me. The printed background works surprisingly well too!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »
Okay...not trying to be an ass here, but aren't entries supposed to be new and not be shown elsewhere before they're posted here?

http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=361220#361220

Totally love both entries by the way. Great miniatures, colors and setting.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »
New entries get bonus points but it's allowed to enter old entries 8)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:19 AM »
Ahaaaaaaaaaa! Now I understand the rules! I've read them before and always thought that entering miniatures that were previously published were not allowed. But they just don't give bonus points...good to know if I run into time problems :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:13:15 AM »
Maaaan! Evil foreboding if I ever saw some, as I´m totally compelled to vote for those Marines! I really like those fatigues (had considered a similar scheme based on that blueish Spetsnaz camo but then chose a more WW2ish variant), but those bases are absolutely remarkable.

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:47:49 AM »
I really, really love the Space Hulk marines but I've seen them before so the first entry has it for me. The printed background works surprisingly well too!

Again the same feeling and choice as Pil. I should not make a habit out if this :p
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 11:55:25 AM »

...its very "strange"? that two entrys so closely match in theme. Was this a "Shuffle" or a matching captain?

Ah, Bill, you Californians and your conspiracy theories  ;)

Nothing strange about it. These two joined the league at the last minute after I'd done the rest of the draw. I therefore pitted them against each other. Pure co-incidence that the theme is similar. The only 'shuffle' that occurs in the draw is where I draw two people who have already contested a match in an earlier round. This has happened 3 times so far.

The only 'matching' that will occur is in the latter stages of the competition, where I will try to make sure that the leading few contestants get to compete against each other.

Apart from that, all is as Lady Luck would have it.  :)

Offline Pulper

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
not trying to be an ass

No problem, you're just a WM player in the end. ;)
Seriously, I view the League as an opportunity to see weekly eye candy and wanted to contribute to the fantastic work of the other participants with my own humble efforts. Thus I decided to drop in late with no intention of winning and thought it to be OK to enter with "newerish" work. If Chris, the Captain or any other participant has objections towards my entry I will happily withdraw it and pass the eventual win over to Chris.

Praise were praise is due. It was Tom Weiss who came up with the idea to use the Future War Troopers for Colonial Marines. I hope he doesn't mind me getting "inspired"

Those Neo-Soviets are great. Are these Infinity figs ?
We want so much when we need so little. But the illumined man wants for nothing.

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »
The humans are indeed Infinity figs. Ariadna Kazaks to be more precise. I haven't seen the robot before.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
The robot is superb.

The Marines are awesome.

Two great entries.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
The humans are indeed Infinity figs. Ariadna Kazaks to be more precise. I haven't seen the robot before.

Precisely. Old "Line Kazaks", which I bought discounted at Action on May 2. I bought the robot (which is actually an alien creature in powered armour) ca. 1996 discounted from a game store. I recently found it on the web, it´s apparently currently available from Kryomek USA as an "Arachnid with heavy armour" (code KGW-006 in the Aliens section). I am not sure if it is originally from the Kryomek lineup, since I cannot remember the blister it came in (possibly unmarked), and there only was a year imprinted on the bottom of the mini, not a manufacturer.

Back in the day, I used it as a cheapskate Khorne Moloch for 40k games (some 8 Deutsche Mark compared to 40 for the GW at the time), then found it a year or so ago in one of my Unfathomable Boxes of Pewter(tm), noticed it would look nice as a non-humanoid powered armour/sentient tank similar to the one seen in one of the Ghost in the Shell manga episodes. I had started painting it in a greyish-green scheme, but then thought how madly appropriate it looked as a Neo-Soviet (or Ariadna, for that matter) low-tech heavy powered armour. It was just a matter of subdueing the "organic" parts of the model, in this case by painting them brown to act as ballistic cloth cover for joint areas.

Pulper, as for the "novity" of displayed models, it´s mainly a matter of telling the umpire if they are NOT newly-painted and unpublished so as not to claim the bonus points. I think we made that clear in the rules (I translated them into English, so it may be my fault), so no problem with me or the rules as written, as far as I´m concerned.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:03:35 PM by Westfalia Chris »