Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thad's Golden Age(ish) heroes and villains (magic users added 11May2018)  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
Well, I've been working long enough, if intermittently, on my supers project, so I guess I might as well give it a thread here while I'm still feeling inspired by a certain blockbuster I recently watched.

Basically, I'm planning to someday run a tabletop RPG set in an alternate-history 1930s United States, and I intend to use miniatures for the combat encounters. Imagine a cross between an American version of A Very British Civil War, combined with a "Golden Age" version of Marvel's Civil War story arc, and you'll get some sense of what I'm going for.

Now, this project as a whole actually spans multiple Lead Adventure categories. I'm working on soldier conversions that will get posted on the Interwar board, and cops and gangsters that will go into the Pulp board, but my superheroes will go here. And I guess my non-super Heroclix repaints as well?

To start, here's are the superheroes I intend to have available as "pre-generated" player characters, for anyone who wants to play in this campaign without going through the hassle of inventing a new character from scratch.

I've chosen a pretty restrictive rule for what counts as "Golden Age", as I am trying to reinforce the "pre-war" feel, so I am strongly prioritizing heroes that debuted before 1942. However, I have some wiggle room in that I'm allowing later versions of characters to replace their originals, as you can see with Mr Terrific and the Bulleteer.

You may notice some iconic Golden Age heroes being absent from this batch. Characters like Wonder Woman and Captain America will definitely show up eventually, but I need to reserve them as non-player characters either due to power level or importance to the plot.

In terms of painting, most minis will be heavily retouched, and some repainted completely. This is not necessarily because I am that good of a painter, but more that I want my heroes to match my non-prepainted civilians and soldiers stylistically, as much as possible at least.

Oh, and I guess the title promised villains too, so here:

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:20:40 PM by Thaddeu »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Thad's Golden Age(ish) heroes and villains
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:22:49 AM »
Anything that involves Ultrahumanite has my vote! Can't wait to see more.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »
Loving this! Can't wait to see more!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
Thanks fourcolorfigs and Hat Guy!

Ultrahumanite is an interesting one; until I started doing research for this project I had no idea he predated Luthor. But his original incarnation was basically a generic bald mad scientist, barely distinguishable from many others already in my collection:

So, much like the aforementioned Bulleteer and Mr. Terrific, I jumped at the opportunity to bring in a later version of the character for variety.

Of course, with his brain-swapping abilities, who knows how long he'll even stay in that gorilla body...

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:44:12 AM »
There's a really good Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyies) comic where Beetle and Guy Gardner take on Ultahumanite, it features clever use of psychic powers and killer robot penguins. Well worth a read if you want to plan a scenario with the character. 

"I wargamed this out against Batman, so I'm rather disappointed."

Offline Thaddeu

• Librarian
    • The Spoony Bardiche
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Ooh, I'll have to check that out.

In the meantime, here are some magic types:

The two in the middle, Zatara and Sargon, are mildly converted, with a bowtie added and a head swapped in respectively. Doctor Occult on the far left was completely repainted, and The Ancient one on the far right was partially repainted.