Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:54:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689613
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Yaru Koto De Chīsai Beru Owari Mura  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Yaru Koto De Chīsai Beru Owari Mura
« on: March 03, 2019, 09:15:18 AM »
I wanted to play a samurai game this weekend but don't have many figures. I have some ninja, a couple of samurai I painted myself and the excellent em4 pre-painted miniatures. As to rules, I read somewhere (may have been here) that En Garde rules are more playable than Ronin. I own both sets of rules so I decided to use the lists from Ronin and the rules from En Garde. So, herewith my first Samurai game which I thoroughly enjoyed, being not much of a one for historical accuracy in my games.

Chīsai Beru Owari village in Ōku Hainyou province is looking very peaceful and sleepy.

Kimyō ni Kasshoku (left), the head Samurai of the village is talking to Edi Fukigen-sō na (right) about the latest rice crop the peasants are bringing in. Would it be enough to please their Lord this season?

But what's this? Two groups of Minami Miru ninja moving through the lengthening late afternoon shadows like ghosts. The ninja from Minami Miru use Panjī-Ryu ninjutsu and are led by their Sensei, Misutā Ocha no Jikan.

So, it's the usual crowd down the yado late Friday afternoon in Chīsai Beru Owari. The Murasakino Doragon is doing good business with some important Samurai staying over on a tour of the province. The boys are swapping war stories and comparing the lengths of their katanas.

The Murasakino Doragon

L to R: Kēnō Bārō, Tōsuto Rakku, Furui In'nō, Lord Sunappu Baai

Lord Sunappu Baai is the Daimyo of Ōku Hainyou province and Furui In'nō is his chief counsellor. Kēnō and Tōsuto are local Samurai and are much impressed by drinking Sake-bombs with the Daimyo. Maybe their village is on the up.

Four of the younger Samurai are returning to the village after ensuring all is well in the rice fields.

The ninja in the southern half of the village creep unnoticed up to the very walls of the Murasakino Doragon where Lord Sunappu Baai is disporting himself.

One ninja is close enough to throw a shuriken through the window at Lord Sunappu Baai. Luckily, Sunappu is wearing armour and the deadly missile glances off his helmet causing no damage. The Samurai are alerted now.

The ninja to the north move out of the old ruin where they were hiding.

A bow-armed ninja chances a shot at Kimyō ni Kasshoku. The arrow strikes true but does not penetrate the samurai’s ornately lacquered armour. Shouts of alarm now echo through the village as the attack is discovered.

Kimyō ni Kasshoku and Edi Fukigen-sō na charge the ninja immediately with a loud kiai. The ninja with a bow has time to loose another arrow but again it glances off the lacquered armour. The other four samurai rush to help.

Taking a light wound, Kimyō ni Kasshoku dispatches his opponent with a cut from neck to waist and Edi Fukigen-sō decapitates his opponent. The ninja need dark and stealth in their light armour whilst the heavily armoured Samurai are fighting at an advantage.

Over at the Murasakino Doragon, things are hotting up. With shurikens flying through the windows Lord Sunappu makes his way outside to wield his nodachi more effectively. Kēnō Bārō accompanies him, seeing a chance to impress his Lord.

Shurikens fly through both windows. One hits Furui In'nō in the face but the mask of his helmet protects him and no damage is done. Tōsuto Rakku, on the other hand is not wearing his helmet and the shuriken causes him a grievous wound.

A fight develops through the windows and although Tōsuto is badly wounded, he manages to defend himself and is only stunned in this exchange. Furui In'nō runs his katana straight through his opponent who falls to the ground, fatally wounded.

Ninjas circle the Murasakino Doragon from both directions. Sunappu climbs over the stable wall to confront one. With his opponent at the window dead, Furui In'nō emerges to support his Lord. Kēnō Bārō turns to face another ninja as a badly wounded clings to the window and continues to fight.

Sunappu wields his nodachi and the last thing the ninja sees is a great glittering arc before his head leaves his body. Kēnō inflicts a light wound on his opponent and miraculously Tōsuto is still alive.

Meanwhile, the ruthless master of the ninja, Misutā Ocha no Jikan leaves his ninja to fight as he runs behind the smallholder’s cottage. He is out of sight of the four Samurai running across the village and in the confusion no one knows where he is.

Kuro Kasan-ki, Furasshu Shinzō, Bōrudorikku and Kowai Supaisu run to help but It looks like it might all be over before they get there. Kowai Supaisu pauses to touch the bell for good luck.

Edi Fukigen-sō kills the ninja on the path and suffers a light wound. Kimyō ni Kasshoku stuns the ninja on the grassy knoll. Alone now, this ninja’s resolve starts to waver.

As the Samurai gather on the grassy knoll, the remaining ninja heads for the hills.

Down at the inn, the fight continues. Furui In'nō joins Sunappu in the stable yard to confront a ninja. Kēnō continues the fight and Tōsuto literally hangs on for grim death.

The situation at the Murasakino Doragon resolves itself. Two ninjas dead in the stable yard, Kēnō finishes off a third and the fourth makes a run for it, much to the relief of Tōsuto Rakku.

Misutā Ocha no Jikan circles behind the statue of the Buddha using every shred of his ninja stealth to avoid detection. Victory is distracting the Samurai and no one sees him.

In triumph, Misutā Ocha no Jikan steals the priceless artefact which has been hidden in the village for many years; Uchide-no-Kozuchi, the magic wishing hammer.

It transpires that the ninja had a double purpose in the attack on Chīsai Beru Owari village. They had been commissioned to assassinate Lord Sunappu Baai and Lord Daun Hiza, the head of the Minami Miru school had long desired the Uchide-no-Kozuchi. They decided to kill two birds with one stone. For the loss of seven ninja, Misutā Ocha no Jikan was successful in one half of the mission. The other half of the mission, the assassination of Sunappu was an abject failure. As the old proverb has it, Saru mo ki kara ochiru (even experts make mistakes).

At first glance it would seem that the ninja were at a disadvantage here and they certainly were in terms of armour. I had considered making it a night game to balance things up but I didn't want to make my first game too complicated. However, the assassination attempt could have succeeded in the very first go with a better dice throw. Misutā Ocha no Jikan ruthlessly sacrificed his ninjas to obtain the magic hammer. The ninjas lost 70% of their force and gained 50% of their objectives. The mysterious Lord Daun Hiza is moderately happy but begins planning his next attempt on the life of Lord Sunappu Baai.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Yaru Koto De Chīsai Beru Owari Mura
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
That's a nice looking game. Always nice to see samurai on the table.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
Always nice to see samurai on the table.
And always nice to see a trademark Snapcase AAR - this board has been too long without one :)

I’m sure this is not the last we’ll hear of Lord Sunappu Baaie - not by a long chalk😀

Doug

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
Thanks Doug and blacksoilbill.

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
Nice setup and interesting looking game.  :)