Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Osprey's - Outremer : Faith and Blood figure box sets??  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Calnala

• Student
Osprey's - Outremer : Faith and Blood figure box sets??
« on: May 09, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
I am going to be using this rule book as my entry into gaming during the Crusades.  I am wondering if there are any good sets that would allow me to field a nice variety of figures and not end up with 20 dudes with the same weapon.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Osprey's - Outremer : Faith and Blood figure box sets??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »
You could do worse than look at Gripping Beast's Crusades bundles.

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/SAGA_Age_of_Crusades_Starter_Warbands--category--310.html
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:31:02 PM »
The Fireforge plastic boxes are pretty good.

https://fireforge-games.com/

As are the Gripping Beast selection in the above post.  Gripping beast also do some nice Arabs in plastic.

I have a mix of Fireforge Plastic and Gripping Beast metals, with some Perry metal.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_33

Offline mTeasdale

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:02:24 AM »
For the Saracens, I would suggest the Footsore range. Lot of varieties and they generally give you a specific model if you need it and ask kindly.

Perry have a nice and huge Crusades range too. Most packs don't have any identical models.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:04:02 AM by mTeasdale »

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
I haven't played yet but a couple of things I've picked up which might be of use if you haven't spotted them yourself.

You won't need twenty figures for a warband, in fact 5 or 6 will probably do you.
(Nothing wrong with having 20 to choose from though)

You will need a foot figure to represent your mounted ones for when the horse is killed.
(I don't think I saw anything about a voluntary dismounted but I could be wrong and you can easily house rule it if you need to)

Hope that is helpful.

Offline Calnala

• Student
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I will look into them and also see what I can get next week when i go to Huzzah

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 03:47:48 AM »
Perry have a nice and huge Crusades range too. Most packs don't have any identical models.
I would lean this way, mostly because you get a pack of 8 models each a different pose. As I understand it, Outremer uses very small armies/warbands/gangs. A few packs and you probably have 3 warbands.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 03:19:46 AM »
Not to derail the thread, but instead of opening a new one, I thought I'd ask here:

Any info on the game/combat system, how many models needed to start, cavalry/infantry ratios, etc.? I could very well be interested in playing a game like this if it ticks the right boxes!  :)

As for minis, I would use my Fireforge Templars and Foot Sergeants, plenty of variation to be had from those.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »
The authors own blog will probably answer most of your questions...

http://outremerfaithandblood.blogspot.co.uk/

I think for starting up you would probably have 4-8 models a side. You have to pay for horses, so not sure about ratios other than as many as you can afford!

Like most of the Osprey wargame books it's worth giving the game a go as the initial outlay isn't much - until you get hooked. ;)

Not to derail the thread, but instead of opening a new one, I thought I'd ask here:

Any info on the game/combat system, how many models needed to start, cavalry/infantry ratios, etc.? I could very well be interested in playing a game like this if it ticks the right boxes!  :)

As for minis, I would use my Fireforge Templars and Foot Sergeants, plenty of variation to be had from those.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 07:48:33 PM »
Thanks, seems he is going to do quite a walk-through!  :)

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »

Well simply saying Outremer Faith and Blood is pretty bloody. So you do not want to spent all your money on the first game, as it can happen you do not have anything for next games. As presented here, http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=109437.0 this saracen warband is roughly 650 Livres, out of 750 allowed. And you can find my brothers franks on the linkse there as well. Fully equiped soldier does cost about 150+ livres, on horse 200+

Every soldier does cost you upkeed between games, so you WANT to save as much as you can. Campaign in Outremer is realy about survival and not PK. Live to fight another day.

You can have warband of any size, but ,maximum you can field are according to one color in Whist set, which is 13 models. Part of your peasants can be leveled into merchant which can but could not be fielded...

Aaaanddd so on.

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »
Hi Guys!

When I wrote the book I used  models from all over the place as I wanted some variety.

Here are some tips:

If you want Templars or Teutonic then a box of Fireforge plastic minis will pretty much give you everything you need! Nice and cheap and all in one place!! However if you want Hospitallers then you’re more limited as they wore their full monastic robes over their armour (as opposed to the Templars iconic mantle)... as such I found Essex Miniatures for infantry and Perry for Cavalry were best.

Normal early Crusaders are dealt with by everyone, but Gripping Beast and Black Tree along with Dubant we’re all good suppliers.

For my Saracens I used a mixture but definitely veered towards Perry Miniatures. There is a full list in the book.

I hope this helps!

I’ll be doing updates on the blog at: https://outremerfaithandblood.blogspot.com/?m=0
Check out my blog for all things 30k, 40k, Oldhammer and tutorials:
http://classicastartes.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
Just got the rules from Osprey. Time to revisit the 12th and 13th centuries...  ;D

Offline Legiocustodes

• Scientist
  • Old school gamer since 1990!
    • Oldhammer 40k
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 06:23:36 AM »
Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy them!!

Offline Jimmyg

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
Still building my bands up. But this scratches my itch for small scale games and my role play itch as well.
Will post pics when I complete my bands