Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dutch - 80 years war - Where to start?  (Read 10796 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Dutch - 80 years war - Where to start?
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 07:27:52 PM »
Yes, and as nice as it is, I was under the impression it’s an old school 25mm range and so not compatible with modern sculpts such as those by TAG or Warlord. Whereas the swashbucklers are later additions more in line with modern 28mm minis. Although I’m happy to be corrected if this is inaccurate.

I’m very much interested in TAGs new minis in pluderhosen but have little context to fashion of this period which is why reading material outlining this would be helpful. As I said I’m a total novice.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »
Mr. J, the Wargames Foundry Seadogs and Swashbucklers are meant to be 1560's - 1580's, so they should fit nicely into that part of the Eighty Years War, representing militia, sailors, irregulars (or regulars in dire need of a clothing resupply - some Spanish troops were reportedly pretty ragged when they first arrived due to the privations of their long march up the "Spanish Road," and also after long periods of arrears of pay while in the field) individual adventurers and even some gentry.  The bowman don't really work well for this, as the English wouldn't have brought such archaically equipped troops with them to the Lowlands. 

Offline cdr

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
actually there are references to English bowmen in the Low Countries.

A 1577 description of the army the Earl of Leicester brought, gives 1000 calivers, 1000 archers, 4000 corselets (armoured ?) with pikes and 1000 billmen with cuirasses and morions for the infantry. 500 lancers and 500 light horse (armed in the normal fashion)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
I stand corrected sir !  I wonder what the Spanish troops thought about being on the receiving end of clothyard shafts.  And yes, when the reference is to corselet pike it does mean with armor (in 16th century probably including tassets as well as cuirass). 

Online wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2018, 04:14:06 AM »
Dont forget Khursans range for the late 16th Century. The figures are fantastic, they have a great Spanish, Landsknect and English. Dutch, and French to come. Drop them an email to speed up the releases.

For books also see if you can find The Dutch Wars of Independence, Warfare and Commerce in the Netherlands 1570-1680  by Marjolein tHart.

William

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 06:15:13 AM »
Yes, and as nice as it is, I was under the impression it’s an old school 25mm range and so not compatible with modern sculpts such as those by TAG or Warlord. Whereas the swashbucklers are later additions more in line with modern 28mm minis. Although I’m happy to be corrected if this is inaccurate.

The Foundry Wars of Religion range is old school 25mm, will work with Essex Miniatures ok.  I’ve got a rather nicely painted army by Mark Allen of them and keep being tempted by the Dutch Wars.

Foundry’s swashbucklers are heroic 28mm, will work with the Hoka Hey (ex-Vendel) range of  Border Reivers, which should suit this period as well. I’m painting through some of the latter for a 1588 game and I do have TAG as well, I’ll try and get a comparison photo together if that would help.

Edit:  found I had them to hand, apart from the Essex:

LtoR. Foundry*-Foundry Swashbuckler-TAG-Foundry Wars of Religion- Hoka Hey- Hoka Hey-Foundry Swashbuckler

*I think that’s a later Foundry (Casting Room? although I recall buying it from the shop)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:31:56 PM by levied troop »
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
I think that first figure is a Hoka Hey figure as well, rather than Foundry.

Thought you might appreciate a couple of the pics of the Swashbucklers used as block of pike and shot.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2018, 07:31:01 PM »
Oooops you’re right, I chose the wrong figure, the Foundry one is a similar pose but smaller. Have replaced the photo with the correct one.

Nice pike block.   My attempts at late 16th C using those manufacturers here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=93251.msg1151281#msg1151281

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
Whiskey Priest and Levied Troops, a joy to see your troops.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »
Whiskey Priest and Levied Troops, a joy to see your troops.

Yes I have both of your threads bookmarked for inspiration.
Thanks for the size comparisons also very useful!