Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:28:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SMF Knockback for Henchmen?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
SMF Knockback for Henchmen?
« on: May 11, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
How do you guys play knockback for henchmen groups?

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
Re: SMF Knockback for Henchmen?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »
Henchmen are removed instead of Wounded, so there shouldn't be any knockback.
Unless they're armored, I guess, but I haven't run into that yet.
I guess I would apply it only to the individual that would logically take the Wound.
- Scott

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »
Henchmen are removed instead of Wounded, so there shouldn't be any knockback.
Unless they're armored, I guess, but I haven't run into that yet.
I guess I would apply it only to the individual that would logically take the Wound.

Ha!  That makes sense!  Thanks

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
That's how I'd do it.  :)
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline MHoxie

• Bookworm
  • Peek-a-boo
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:14:56 PM »
You could always determine knockback for the ko'd henchmen, to see if your brick has knocked them outta' the park... ;D

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking about.  Knockback really allows the attacker to have the option to leave combat.  If you attack my guy and the next round I attack back and win, I get to knock you back, say 4 inches.  Then I can leave combat and go about my business.

I've only really used henchmen as shooty guys so it hasn't come up yet, but I was imagining your typical 'throw the mound of henchmen off' type move you see so often in the medium.

But I guess the only way out of a group of henchmen is through them...

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 02:47:46 AM »
Well, in many comics I have seen superheroes with a single punch send hordes of henchmen flying and knocked to the ground so I would allow a "knockback" per the normal rules, though perhaps reducing this distance to one-half might be reasonable.

I do like henchmen groups and having them knocked around is very "Comic Bookie"!

Kim

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
Well, in many comics I have seen superheroes with a single punch send hordes of henchmen flying and knocked to the ground so I would allow a "knockback" per the normal rules, though perhaps reducing this distance to one-half might be reasonable.

Yes, where they don't get up again. Which means they're KO'd, and so removed.
I visualize them being tossed all around, there's no particular need for a rule about it.

Using the normal rules for Knockback, they can't be knocked back since they don't have any wounds.
If you were to reduce the number of figures in the group to 5, then give every figure 2 Wounds, you could do it.  But then you're tracking wounds on individual henchmen, and that may or may not be something you want to do.

And why would you halve the distance?  They're less capable and impressive than the archtypes, if anything they would be tossed further.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 01:23:15 PM »
The more I think about it, I think the group should be knocked back according to the Body Damage suffered.  Much more cinematic to imagine the group being driven back by a massive hero.   Though being able to swamp a hero with a gob of henchmen is also just about right.

I'm conflicted...

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »
If you were to reduce the number of figures in the group to 5, then give every figure 2 Wounds, you could do it.  But then you're tracking wounds on individual henchmen, and that may or may not be something you want to do.

Actually all my henchmen are in groups of 5! Ten is just to cumbersome for me, and lots of the old Super Fig henchmen were in groups of 5 so for me it just made sense.

I don't track wounds, I just remove one henchmen for every 2 wounds inflicted from a single attack. Any left over odd numbers are just lost. Its a little bump of survivability I give them, but its not significant.

Knocking the groups back at least gives the superheros a shot of moving on instead of being stuck in melee. If henchmen have the Armor power this prevents knockback unless its a super strength attack, it makes sense that knock back applies to them.

The idea of them being knocked back half normal distance is not a necessity, but in the comics it never seemed they got knocked back like the main characters. I can live with it either way, but knocking them back seems to fit my images of heroes vs hordes!

Kim