Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689755
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HYW Heraldry - How?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
HYW Heraldry - How?
« on: April 17, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »
Hi, I'm looking to do some HYW cavalry with cloth barding and I want to do fancy heraldry symbols, but my painting is not up to it. The decals sheets are really expensive, £3 per horse, or £5 for a sheet of like 4 transfers.
Is there another way of doing this ?  I'm after something like a sheet of lions or a sheet of Dragons, or stars or whatever. To use on horse barding and shields etc. Or has anyone tried printing their own ? I'

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: HYW Heraldry - How?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:16:17 PM »
Try painting the backgrounds you need then add transfers from Veni-Vedi-Vici, I use a mix of 15mm or 28mm plus Andrea models  dry decals.

https://www.magistermilitum.com/manufacturer/veni-vidi-vici-transfers.html

https://www.andreaeurope.com/en/4/complements/403/andrea-dry-transfers/709/at-016-french-heraldry-transfers-ii.html

Cheers
Matt

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »
Great, they all look really good, thanks.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »
For designs on white or yellow backgrounds, you could try using .005 Micron Art colour pens.  They are archival ink and don't run when varnished.  I've gotten very good results using them (caveat: I can paint well too, but the pens are easier.)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:27:50 PM »
For designs on white or yellow backgrounds, you could try using .005 Micron Art colour pens.  They are archival ink and don't run when varnished.  I've gotten very good results using them (caveat: I can paint well too, but the pens are easier.)

Hmmmm interesting, I assume you can mix the colours when applied to the paper so that the colours and metals don't appear flat on the heraldry?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:30:54 PM by Atheling »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:03:11 PM »
Hmmmm interesting, I assume you can mix the colours when applied to the paper so that the colours and metals don't appear flat on the heraldry?

When I use the pens, I just draw straight onto the figures after the paint as fully dried.  (Not fully dried paint will kill the pens PDQ.)  The best examples of penwork that I have to show is the embroidery on my 15mm Granadine army  All the emboidery designs on the tunics, horse blankets, market camp pavilions, and other fine outlining are done with .005 Micron pens.  The design on the flag was painted white 'X's, then after the paint dried I crisped up the edges with a green pen; you can see the shade difference in  close up photo, on the tabletop it just adds to the shading.