Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: kuba's eastern european medievals  (Read 5835 times)

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
kuba's eastern european medievals
« on: May 11, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »
Hello everybody,

first of all, I'm not sure about forum regulations concerning swastika imaginery and if some of the shield designs violate them -if so then I'll modify the post (If admins won't be quicker).

After a long time of reading the forum I decided to share some of my own creations: warband for SAGA made of various plastic sprues and leftover bits from other projects. It's only five points of troops, I use bear miniature from my frostgrave stuff as a champion for 6th point, but I plan to paint some more regular guys -probably another point of hearthguard or steppe nomads mercenaries. I'm still figuring out what'll work best for me, as I only played once (and gained a victory over my brothers anglo-saxons).
Those guys are a little anarchronistic and perhaps closer to fantasy version of slavic warriors, but they'll do for me -probably doubling as baltic pagans for Age of Crusades.

So, here they are, starting from 1pt of hearthguard and leader (with mask):

Second point of hearthguard. I used them both as one 8-men unit and I think that's the way I'll field them.

First unit of warriors:

and the second one. It seems easy to slavify plastic late romans, normans or other generic looking warriors -just adding some greenstuff loose trousers and painting tablet veawing patterns along the cloth edges makes the trick

And last but not least 1 point of levies. I use them as two 6 men units just for generating saga dice. Veawing patterns are simplier here (just one colour over the edge, actually as I look at them I realised I forgot to paint it around the neck of the bald guy on the center-left of the picture):

that's it, time for some games and then completing the 6th point.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:41:18 PM by kuba »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: kuba's SAGA -Pagan Slavs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:38:01 PM »
Nice, cool to see one of the new factions.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »
Very nice painting, especially the shield designs.  :-*

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 08:34:24 PM »
Good looking collection :-*

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 12:03:22 AM »
Great creations and paint jobs! I always love seeing eastern pagans!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:11:58 PM »
They have turned out well  :)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
Lovely stuff  8) 8) 8)

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »
Excellent work!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
Thanks guys  :) As I wrote earlier my previous plans were to use them in Age of Crusades, but I just came back from XIII century reenactment tourney amd I seriously consider knights templar or teutonic order... and Saga was supposed to be a quick side project between Ghost Archipelago and Hail Caesar ancients  :P

Offline Wookington

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
You've done a lovely job, who makes the figures in your first picture?

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:40:20 AM »
Wookongton, all of them are kitbashed, from left to right:
Gripping Beast late roman body, hands and shield,
Fireforge russian infantry with Victrix shield (samnites or iberians, I'm not sure)
Gripping Beast viking body, Fireforge russians hands, Victrix carthaginians head
Conquest Games norman infantry with Foreforge russians head and sculpted trousers
Fireforge russian infantry with Victrix shield and Perry's archers axe hand (with sculpted glove and scale armour).

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 06:14:26 AM »
What a great looking bunch on miniatures. Can you sheed some light on the kits that went into them. I see GP drak age warrior and fireforge russians.

Cheers
Erik

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »
Thanks Erik, I used whatever leftovers I had that seemed more or less suitable plus some single sprues from different kits. Bodies are two sprues of Gripping Beast late romans (with most decoration covered with liquid greenstuff), one sprue of Fireforge russian infantry, two sprues of Gripping Beast dark age warriors, one sprue of Conquest Games norman infantry, some Warlord viking bondi, one Grippomg Beast viking, few Fireforge sergeants. Heads are from those kits listed above plus from Victrix carthaginians (all those heads with cone helmets), unidentified bare heads from Victrix (probably from slinger or greek unarmoured infantry), few Warlord Games celt heads and Northstar Frostgrave soldiers, one of Wargames Factory numidians and Gripping Beast arab infantry. Shields, weapons amd arms are from whatever kit suited -all of listed above and Foreforge mongols. I love plastic miniatures  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
Great kitbashing, and just goes to show that in creative hands, plastic components, well put together and well painted can amount to a great deal more than the sum of their - often rather average looking - parts.

Someone was arguing on a thread the other day that multiposability of plastics was a myth.
Your work on these puts paid to that little canard  :)
Plastics are what you make of them. Metals are what they are.