Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Military Order knights on foot, wearing habit?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Military Order knights on foot, wearing habit?
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:20:22 PM »
Hey all,

Just got myself a copy of Outremer and I'm very excited to start building some warbands! I'd like to do some Hospitallers, so I'm curious to know if there are any manufacturers that make knights on foot, wearing the habit. Seems most options out there are mounted, but I'd like a few on foot.

Tangentially related -- and this is really more a historical question than a question about figures -- were the Knights of St. Lazarus and the Order of the Holy Sepulchre under the same requirement to wear the habit, or was the restriction lifted for them like it was for the Templars?

Thanks in advance

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Military Order knights on foot, wearing habit?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:48:39 PM »
Essex do some foot knights of the religious orders, but they're a little old I think and don't always compare favourably to the best available today.

Fireforge do a Templar Infantry plastic set with foot knights in habits, which are okay.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »
Thanjs for the input!

I love the Fireforge minis, and definitely intend to use some for Templars and other Frankish Crusaders.

For Hospitallers I'm more after full sleeved tunics with mail underneath, rather than the surcoat worn by the Fireforge figures, though. Basically the same outfit as the Gripping Beast or Perry knights, but on foot.

The Essex miniatures are the right look, but I agree, a bit rough by modern standards.

Offline Sir Walter Rlyeh

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
My understanding is that the Order of Saint Lazarus was a way to segregate the Templars who had contracted leprosy.  A Templar was obligated to transfer from one order to the other on being diagnosed as a leper.  It follows that basically the rule the members followed would be the same for both orders.