Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative use of Warlord Games plastic US Airborne?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline summsi

• Librarian
Alternative use of Warlord Games plastic US Airborne?
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
hi,

as the title says. Suggestions are very welcome.

As I use the British Airborne as Congo Mercenaries I wanted to have some different ideas.

Offline macgarns

• Bookworm
Re: Alternative use of Warlord Games plastic US Airborne?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
Hi,
I use them for my modern african army. The plastic US para, with a Perry mahdist head, and a wargames factory Kalashnikov.
I also use the US Marines bodies for irregular troops .
I'll try to post a pic of it.
Cheers,
Fred
FRED

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:15:16 PM »
In 28mm one guy in a uniform with a gun looks like any other barring some specific details. You could swap the guns out and use them as all sorts of things, even civilians or militias depending on how you paint the clothes.

I'd suggest maybe looking at Empress Miniature's head range and using those to modernize them a little (they're in their Moderns -Misc section I believe). Then there's the Project Z range by Warlord Games like you macgarns 16s and AK-74s (though unless the base model's guns have a pistol grip, they wouldn't look like any military variant of either of those guns. Again, that may not be a massive issue).

Though why that kit in particular? I really dislike Warlord's plastics for their ape like physique with nigh on Games Workshop proportions (they're that poor that I was using Warlord Games arms on Wargames Factory bodies to represent guys wearing heavy winter coats). Rather buy either one of the Wargames Factory WWII or modern kits - fix the poses a bit (mostly just cutting a "V" shape out of the groin to bring the legs closer) and they work for most forces - sculpting on extra bits as you like. 

But yeah, the US uniforms and the weaponry available in that particular kit were surplussed out to loads of nations Post-War. So its not like you couldn't use them to represent some National force decades on from WWII. Or mix in some modern gear, random camofladge patterns and bits of civilian clothing, then possibly Empress' African heads, and then you have some generic MENA militia force. They'd probably work well with The Assault Group's lines.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:39:21 AM »
If you mean the ones in the M 1943 uniforms and double-buckle boots you could use them as US troops up to about 1962. Just shave off the buckle straps on the boots and paint em black rather than brown for post Korea. They would be ideal for Korea of course.

Unless you fancy lots of shaving and replacing with greenstuff then the ammo pouches and webbing will be your biggest challenge to anything not armed with Garands. The Danes used similar uniforms and also Garands into the late 1960s IIRC.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:44:11 AM »
I bought a Warlord US Army sprue a while back (original design, the latest version is different and probably less use) for a conversion.

I used the Wargames Factory M16s (having bought both sets of Survivors I have a few).

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2017/04/post-war-bolt-action-miniatures.html

As was pointed out when I posted them here and Carlos mentioned, ammo pouches are a problem.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:47:20 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline summsi

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
thanks for your help!