Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:37:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chainmail Bikini  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Chainmail Bikini
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:34:51 PM »
Hi

I just got the 'raw' set of rules from Howard Whitehouse to read/comment/playtest.

I'm halfway through reading it by now, and I like what I read!
I'm going to dig out some old Grenadier barbarians,
I have had laying around unpainted for more than a decade
so I can try it out for real...

I can't say for sure, as I haven't played it yet,
but it looks very fast-paced and fun! Less complex than AT,
but maintaining the basic structure of that ruleset.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
Mr. Whitehouse- Anything going on w/ this game at HotLead in March? I'll be there, and I'd like to get a peek at it... :o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
I've done reading, and spent the rest of the afternoon digging barbarians out of their hiding places in various dark, dusty cornes of my home... Found 3 blisters of Grenadier's 'Fantasy Warrior' barbarians, one lonely member of a ditto command group (can't locate the rest of that open blister at the moment..), 1 plastic Talisman barbarian, and one plastic Warhammer Quest barbarian (who'd have thougt, they'd suddenly come in handy?  :wink: )

I'll be back with more breaking news as soon as I have had my gaming group together for a 'Save the Princess from the Evil Necromancer and His Endless Hordes of Undead'-quickie....

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 07:58:34 PM »
i'm really looking forward to play that game one day!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
As I've written somewhere else, I'll try very hard to come to Bad Oldesloe (correct spelling, anyone?) this fall (September, I think?).

As soon as I get my first pulp scenario ready, I'll start painting some barbarians, an exotic princess (I may have to find an appropriate mini, can't remember if I have one  :D ), an evil necromancer of some sort and spray/drybrush hordes and hordes of plastic skeletons, that I assembled in a fit of madness lots of years ago. Heck, I'll ask my gaming buddies to do a batch each, too! Maybe I should spray them white and get them FAP'd....

I'll then be able to run both a pulp game and a CB game in BO, if the con-manager should be interested...  :wink:

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:48 PM »
Oh, I come in from Wielding a Mighty Blade (okay, a snow shovel) and Argonor's showing enthusiasm - great! :D

My object is to design a set of deliberately cheesy rules, the kind where you might very well show up wearing a plastic horned helmet.  Pulp fantasy, with a sense of affectionate fun. Mighty thew'd barbarians with the intellect of a treestump, sulky princessess, cowardly thieves and evil sorcerers.

Magic is mostly akin to the schemes of Mad Scientists in Pulp and VSF; schemes to be thwarted rather than everyday spells and fireballs that are really just guns for magicians.

And no orcs, No hobbits. Mostly no elves or dwarves either, but definitely no orcs. H  :lol:
I do all my own stunts

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 07:24:10 PM »
Quote from: "Howard Whitehouse"
And no orcs, No hobbits. Mostly no elves or dwarves either, but definitely no orcs. H  :lol:

Trolls? Ogres? Love such sort of guys  :mrgreen:

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »
I think youll be able to 'make up' any sort of creature as you like. Just follow some common sense and compare the abilities of different types of characters to estimate how hard you'd like your creations to be  :)

• Scientist
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 10:36:25 PM »
Since I'm primarily interested in the sort of 1920s-40s Pulp fantasy most often associated with R.E. Howard, plus his acolytes and plagiarists through the 1970s, most of the monsters are drawn from those sources. It's not like anyone sat down and hammered out a list of 'OK/not OK' of demonic, monstrous and inhuman things.

But, as a genre, Sword and Sorcery tends to avoid the multiple semi-human races that Tolkien employed, and - through D&D and Warhammer - have become the mainstream of modern fantasy. Humans, however, vary from shambling neanderthals to decadent pillow-lollers. It's a slippery slope, and evolution seems to work rather like a roller coaster. And every time you turn a corner, there's an assassin, or something from another dimension, or a dinosaur.

You can have anything you like in the game. I recommend '70s 'B Movie' actor Doug McLure, for instance -- H

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:48:44 PM »
...and the HotLead question? Yes/No? I thought you were a regular...

• Scientist
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:20:15 AM »
Oh, sorry --

Well, I used to be a regular when I lived in Toronto. It's  a fantastic small convention, held in a very cool little theatre town. My wife would go with me and shop, and we'd drink at the Falstaff and eat at those little bistros aimed at theatre-goers in the festival season. And there's an amazing toy shop on the main street.

But, alas, it's 600 miles from my present home outside New York City. I'll be running a game at Cold Wars, which is far more convenient to me.

Sorry about that -- H

• Scientist
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 03:24:36 AM »
Oh, if anybody wants a Word Doc of the blueprints (which are, as yet, not much more than that), email me at professorbellbuckle@yahoo.com. I'll set ya right up -- H  :lol:

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 07:31:31 PM »
Don't miss out on that offer. DON'T, I tell ya!!!  8)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
Quote from: "Howard Whitehouse"
Oh, if anybody wants a Word Doc of the blueprints (which are, as yet, not much more than that), email me at professorbellbuckle@yahoo.com. I'll set ya right up -- H  :lol:

email is out...

• Scientist
Chainmail Bikini
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 09:52:37 PM »
Rules are sent.

I was going to include a horn of mead, but pouring ot into the keyboard seemed like a bad idea -- H