Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA - Byzantines  (Read 6285 times)

Offline AngusH

• Bookworm
Re: SAGA - Byzantines
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
Footsore are releasing Byzantines later this year.

Of course they would... :D

Those V&V cataphracts are amazing. I grabbed the Footsore Late Roman cataphracts to use for my Last Romans. Probably not perfect for Byzantines, but I just loved the minis:

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 10:14:20 PM »
Footsore are releasing Byzantines later this year.

I bet they’ll be nice and not requiring me to sell a kidney to afford an army....

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 06:34:06 AM »
I bet they’ll be nice and not requiring me to sell a kidney to afford an army....

I think that Footsore's Byzantines will be for the period of Justinian reign. At least that is what it looks like for the photos released by Footsore, so far.

V&V and Crusader are for a later period, if I am not mistaken.

Except if you have a lot of money, I wouldn't recommend a whole army using V&V. However, they are a delight to paint, so for a single elite unit it's not that bad idea. Besides they fit perfectly with Footsore. I have four V&V Berserkers and they are a match, sizewise, with Footsore Hearthguard. I'll try to take a picture later, once I finish the bases.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 08:11:22 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
Well its true they are expensive, GW level expensive, but damn they are good looking... I like that they have more normal proportions like Perry miniatures, they are not sculpted in the traditional chubby/stumpy style

Offline AngusH

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
I finally managed to finish a single point of my SAGA Byzantines however, plus a warbanner to help keep the lads rested while they cower in forests and ineffectively pepper my opponents with arrows.

It was my First time using a LBMS banner transfer and I found it fiddly. Instructions weren't a lot of help, but they did make good backing paper for the actual transfer! I managed to trim and cover up some of the mistakes with paint and I think I salvaged it. I'm used to playing 6-8 figure skirmish games where I can take a whole week to paint one mini and feel like I've made good progress, so I'm still trying to find the right balance to be able to tackle a SAGA-sized force. I cut some corners with the warbanner guy and it took half as long as the others, and (IMO at least) ended up looking better, using what I call the "GW method" of basecoat+wash+edge highlight for everything but the red and the skin, and also barely diluted my paint.

Looking forward to tackling some Flemish mercs next - using the new armoured Normans from Footsore, which are about 80% chainmail... woo hoo!

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
Very nice.  You've struck a great balance between bright and muted colors. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this warband progress. 

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 12:51:55 AM »
My 10mm Byzantines took a Crusader army to the cleaners last Sunday; very satisfying force. And the crusader and Turkish enemies can also wear mail, so lots more fun painting 'em.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Nice painting.

I have quite a few Byzantines and I felt the GB figures were much nicer than the Crusader ones, and I am a big fan of Crusader figures normally.

Aventine have said they are doing Byzantines but no sign as yet and they announced this a couple of years ago.

Nobiscum Deus!

Offline AngusH

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »
I have quite a few Byzantines and I felt the GB figures were much nicer than the Crusader ones, and I am a big fan of Crusader figures normally.

Yeah I agree re: the Crusader minis, especially the skutatoi. I like that they are bearded, but otherwise I think the GB are superior. Happy with the slingers though, and the javelin/archer/crossbow psiloi are likely buys when I start work on my Crusaders-era SAGA list.

Flicking through some Osprey books last week at my local book store, I think I appreciate the GB minis a little more in general - especially the faces. Seems like a conscious effort on the sculptors part to match images like this:

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »
Yes I felt the GB range is well researched.

For further reading I would very much recommend the John Julius Norwich trilogy of books on the history of the Byzantine Empire.